Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cjwright79

Half Measures

FDA for it. Plays cautiously on first life and dies while checking if a cyberdemon was stuck... More aggressive on second life and barely maxes (2 shells left and stuck in the exit part). Nice map, a fair bit more challenging than your previous ones. :)

Also did an UV speed now as it seemed fun to do (and it was).

Nice work Phml, you were on your game on that run. Anyway I see that you wanted to get 100% kills so I made that last lift able to get you back up -- removed the railing nearby. Thanks for the demo, very good work.

Edit: can't view the UV Speed since I don't have the previous version of the map!

I would recommend you to take this code into your doom level, I don't know how this works, but it will delight people's eyes :-).

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---
|
---
|
---
|ooo| |
|ooo| ---
|ooo| |
|ooo| ---
|ooo| |
| ---

<- x
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Chris,

I noticed you put "GZDoom" as the needed engine in your idgames text files rather than limit-removing (which is what your maps really are, at least those I have played). Just throwing that out there, as seeing GZDoom might lead to players either not trying your maps or expecting GZDoom features and being disappointed (and/or using jump and potentially breaking some maps).

Phml said:

Hey Chris,

I noticed you put "GZDoom" as the needed engine in your idgames text files rather than limit-removing (which is what your maps really are, at least those I have played). Just throwing that out there, as seeing GZDoom might lead to players either not trying your maps or expecting GZDoom features and being disappointed (and/or using jump and potentially breaking some maps).

Ok thanks. So in my text files I should have Advanced Engine Needed blank. Actually checking my local Halfmeas.txt it already is like that...? Ah well anyway now I know for certain. :)

My friend, I didn't plop down a bunch of random monsters to create Ultra-Violence. It is schemed and sorted just to trip you up. It's meant to be a challenge for the hardcores like Phml. Take it easy -- Hurt Me Plenty is plenty tough!

Cjwright79 said:

Ok thanks. So in my text files I should have Advanced Engine Needed blank.

If you leave it blank, people will assume it can work in vanilla or ChocoDoom. So I'd advise then testing in ChocoDoom to make sure it does. If it doesn't, put "limit removing" at least.

Also, if you only playtest with GZDoom, beware that ZDoom-derived ports are more tolerant than others to certain problems such as unknown textures or patches. Further, the light in hardware renderers differs from that of software renderers. Dark areas might become far too dark in software; especially if you test with your lighting mode set to "standard" or "legacy"; but even "dark" is brighter than "doom"...

Cjwright79 said:

Is prboom+ functionally equivalent to Chocodoom?

No. PrBoom+ is limit removing and supports all Boom and most MBF features.

ChocoDoom has, by design, the same narrow limits as vanilla Doom, and the same bugs.

Deeforce said:
I would recommend you to take this code into your doom level, I don't know how this works, but it will delight people's eyes :-).

Probably not as much as seeing a postcount++ troll in the Losers forum...

Cjwright79 said:
Is prboom+ functionally equivalent to Chocodoom?

Note that PrBoom+ has something called "compatibility levels" which many people use while testing levels. One popular choice (compatibility levels 2-4, depending on the IWAD) makes it act like vanilla but without the limits, the other popular choice (compatibility level 9) acts pretty much like Boom but with some limits removed.

To test DOOM II levels that are like vanilla but without limits, use compatibility level 2. It can be set in the command line (-complevel 2) or in the CFG file (default_compatibility_level 2). If it's specified in the command line, the value in the CFG is overridden.

PrBoom+ also has its default behavior (compatibility level -1) but that is not as convenient for testing because it may cause incompatibilities with the more faithful vanilla or Boom engines, respectively.

It's meant to be a challenge for the hardcores like Phml. Take it easy -- Hurt Me Plenty is plenty tough!

Heh - gggmork is a much better player than I am. Don't worry, if I can beat a map on UV he'll be able to do it on Nightmare! eventually. ;)

Actually checking my local Halfmeas.txt it already is like that...?

My comment was kind of confusing, posting in this topic without context. At the time I just checked /idgames and your last uploaded maps were on there (Axebreaker, Dagobah...), that's where I saw "GZDoom" as advanced engine needed.

BUG ...

The blue keycard is not required to exit. The player can squeeze between sector 66 and line 284 with ease.

... other than that, nice wad.

hawkwind said:

BUG ...

The blue keycard is not required to exit. The player can squeeze between sector 66 and line 284 with ease.

... other than that, nice wad.

I'll leave that in there, just for freedom's sake.

Then instead, do not make the exit a blue door, just make the blue door a secret area where the key is required to access. Of course such secret would require good items in it best example of that is E1M3 in Ultimate Doom which uses a yellow key to open up to a really good secret.

Just suggesting.

Just finished this map.

My only real criticism was the difficulty. I played on UV, and tbh, it wasn't really difficult at all. (Tho to be fair, this level suits my SP playing style perfectly. I naturally conserve every bit of ammo I can, I infight everything, I advance cautiously, so this map was tailor made for this style of playing.)

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was great and I enjoyed this level a lot, it just wasn't as tough as I expected.

I ran straight through the blue bars as Hawkwind mentioned was possible, but i went back and got the blue key anyway.

My stats, just for your information:

K: 228/230
I: 99%
S: 20% (The only secret I found was the soul sphere on my way to opening the yellow key door. And it was just open when I went through there, so I didn't actually find any secrets. Tho I suck at secret finding anyway.

ammo:

74/200
46/50
1/50
279/300

Good level. Not uber pretty and all, but really enjoyable overall.

Archvile78 said:

Then instead, do not make the exit a blue door, just make the blue door a secret area where the key is required to access. Of course such secret would require good items in it best example of that is E1M3 in Ultimate Doom which uses a yellow key to open up to a really good secret.

Just suggesting.

At a glance the gate looks secure. If someone is audacious enough to try to squeeze through, why not let them!

Kyka said:

Just finished this map.

My only real criticism was the difficulty. I played on UV, and tbh, it wasn't really difficult at all. (Tho to be fair, this level suits my SP playing style perfectly. I naturally conserve every bit of ammo I can, I infight everything, I advance cautiously, so this map was tailor made for this style of playing.)

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was great and I enjoyed this level a lot, it just wasn't as tough as I expected.

I am not a sadist so I want to make the level beatable, by me, on Hurt Me Plenty. UV, I want to beat when I'm on my game, but not when I'm off it. That's my metric. If you want to edit the map and put more monsters in, you can do that. Call it HalfM-HM.wad, for Half Measures Hard Mode. You can take the credit and everything! Or I can do it if you wish.

I'll do it right now actually...

EDIT: Completed. http://members.shaw.ca/cjwright79/halfm-hm.wad
I think I sealed the gap in the blue gate now, too.

Please, this is not tested, so I will need your feedback before releasing it. Yes I will test it too. :)

EDIT2: Yeah, this thing eats me for breakfast on UV now. Best of luck.

Here's my "first" try on the monster++ map. Ammo and health were fine. There's still the gap in that blue door, although if I didn't know I wouldn't have tried... :)

I saw a HOM on the final lift, you'll want to add lower textures to the back linedefs 910 to 917.

As a note about the difficulty of the original map... I personally don't see a problem with maps not being super difficult on UV. There's always -fast or even Nightmare if you feel the map is too easy. That said, I haven't any problem with maps being super difficult on UV either. :)

Yeah I finally beat my own map on UV Hard Mode -- took about 15 minutes to get 100 / 100 / 100. The Spiderdemon entered the final stage and polished off the first Cyber, so that was good.

I feel I will leave the gap in the fence. If you want to get the Plasma Rifle you certainly need to get past the Spiderdemon and Barons. And if you want to make an easy exit from the final battleground for any reason (getting the Invulnerabilty, for instance), it will behoove you to open the gates, or you may get a rocket in the back if you clip the posts.

Edit: Fixed the HOM issue, so your demo doesn't work.

Your screenshot sums up the whole level well. ;)

I wanted to do an UV max demo just for kicks, and forgot "max" is not only 100% kills but also 100% secrets ! Here it is, anyway.

Just for the helll of it, a demo of the harder version of the level. (Not the phml version, might have a look at that next.)

Link: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20510797/KykaHalfmHard.zip

Sorry about the last section. There was one monster locked up in a secret, wandered around for a bit trying to trigger it, but to no avail. So only 105/106 monsters.

Kyka said:

There was one monster locked up in a secret, wandered around for a bit trying to trigger it, but to no avail. So only 105/106 monsters.

There is a trigger for that secret. When you go into one secret room, it triggers the door to that secret room.

EDIT: Which version of DOOM2 were you running for that demo?

Cjwright79 said:

There is a trigger for that secret. When you go into one secret room, it triggers the door to that secret room.

I see. I could have looked in an editor, but the demo was already recorded by then. This was like my 3rd attempt. I got killed early in the other 2. :(

EDIT: Which version of DOOM2 were you running for that demo?

Sorry. Silly me forgot to post that.

ZDoom 2.4.0 (the latest version).

That was a great demo. You play meticulously! Almost excessively so!

And the last secret -- well suffice to say there is a visual hint. It's not painfully obscure and unreasonable.