Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZDSparky

A semi-automatic weapon

Is it possible to create a semi automatic weapon? Such as an M16 or Battle Rifle (from Halo 3). Or has anyone done it before?

Thanks.

th3malleus said:

Hmm... You mean like the chain gun right? In that it continuously fires.

That's automatic, not semi-automatic.

ZDSparky said:

Is it possible to create a semi automatic weapon?

Assuming you mean by using DeHackEd, then yes but the main drawback is that the weapon has to replace, internally at least, the rocket launcher. Simply omit the A_Refire codepointer during the firing sequence and it should work.

If I'm thinking right, then you need to have three or four fire states before the refire state on your weapon.
I'll explain if questioned.

DuckReconMajor said:

Isn't Doom's pistol already semi-automatic?

No. It's also automatic.
A Semi automatic weapon is a weapon you need to hit the trigger of for every shot. But it will automatically load the next round without you having to do it manually.

The Doom pistol in reality would be a semi automatic. But effectively in Doom it is not.

The pistol in Wolf3D is semi automatic like that. I guess ID ultimately thought that a bad idea when making Doom.

Yeah, as a fictional entity, the pistol is semi-automatic. That is, the player character is arguably pressing the trigger with each shot. As a game mechanism, it's automatic, because the player keeps shooting by holding key_fire or mouseb_fire.

If I am not mistaken, the only place where the game normally uses a "semi-automatic" game mechanic for the weapons is when the rocket launcher or BFG9000 are picked up or switched to because of available ammo. Unlike other weapons, they don't continue firing if key_fire or mouseb_fire are still being held down unless the player lets go and presses again.

myk said:

Unlike other weapons, they don't continue firing if key_fire or mouseb_fire are still being held down unless the player lets go and presses again.

Or they would do, if it weren't for the fact that A_Refire in their firing states make them automatic. That said, I didn't realise the BFG was also flagged for no automatic fire.

Then youd just make a weapon that fires several shots per "shot"

Like the chaingun with its two shots, but without the "hold down the button to spray lead" feature?

Also, about the pistol, the Doom 2 strategy guide said it was semi-automatic and would shoot as fast as you mashed the button :p If Duke Nukem 3D was out at the time the book was made, I would say they got confused with Duke's pistol

Vermil said:

The pistol in Wolf3D is semi automatic like that. I guess ID ultimately thought that a bad idea when making Doom.

Actually if doom's pistol behaved like that (and felt as powerful) that would be awesome.

Ragnor said:

If Duke Nukem 3D was out at the time the book was made, I would say they got confused with Duke's pistol

Duke3d's pistol wasn't semi-automatic either :/

40oz said:

Duke3d's pistol wasn't semi-automatic either :/

It did exactly what the Doom 2 guide said the pistol did, you mash the fire button, youve got rapid fire (Until you empty the clip). iirc, holding the fire button down makes it fire at around Doom's speed. I have Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Duke Nukem 3D on my 360, so I could take a look at all these pistol differences to refresh my memory, but my brother just hopped on it }=[

I see what people meant about Wolfenstein 3D's pistol. It wont fire if you hold the fire button. Has the same general fire rate as Doom's though, and cant fire fast. I still prefer Duke's variation, even if it isnt completely semi-automatic.

EDIT: My memory is faulty. Duke's fires like a chaingun if you hold the trigger. I swear it didnt do that back in the day, so either I remembered wrong, or the 360 port isnt 100% accurate

TheDarkArchon said:
Or they would do, if it weren't for the fact that A_Refire in their firing states make them automatic.

That fact, in addition to the previous conditioning sentence, is one reason why you shouldn't read the sentence you quoted out of context. My point was to characterize that instance as the only functional case of "semi-automatic firing behavior" in the game. Semi-automatic firing doesn't otherwise exist in the unmodified game, as a mechanic. That is, that mechanism is the same as semi-automatic firing, but applied to that one isolated case. DOOM's automatic firing normally transfers from one weapon to another when ammunition runs out or a new weapon is picked up. In the special case, on the other hand, that is cut off by one instance of semi-automatic behavior.

While it's obvious they gave that feature to the rocket launcher to avoid accidents, they must have given it also to the BFG9000 to avoid wasting 40 cells against unworthy opponents. Heh, it would be pretty lame to waste one's only BFG blast on a lone imp just because the other weapons ran out of ammunition.