Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How much longer do you think Doom will last before people stop playing it?

I was just wandering.....

We all love Doom, we really do. But we also know that at some point in the future this game is going to die.......

So.....how much time do you give Doom before the community dies completely?

I for one give it 10 years at most, and i hope i am wrong.

I guess this why people stopped watching Citizen Kane or playing Mario Bros.

C'mon, now! People are still buying old movies and games much older then Doom. The only thing that will stop this is technological advancement. And Doom has held up great.

They said Doom would die in the next ten years when Quake came out. Why do we need these topics so frequently?

Doom isn't going to die off any time soon, for example Claus 1024 2, which wasn't a huge celebrated release, so far has almost 250 downloads from akinomori.com, and I have no idea about /idgames. So there's quite a few people more actually playing the game than there are posting on DW.

Technician said:

C'mon, now! People are still buying old movies and games much older then Doom.

Yes, but you can't compare Doom with games like Super Mario because Super Mario is a mainstream franchise that pretty much every human begin in the world knows about.

The fact is that Doom while begin extremely famous isn't that well known by a large portion of the current gaming community.

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
It wont die from our minds at least
EDIT: Oh I forgot to tell, that it wont die because i have my Wad, what never comes ready.

hardcore_gamer said:
I for one give it 10 years at most, and i hope i am wrong.

You are. That's practically impossible. With old game emulation being a given nowadays, even many games that are more obscure than DOOM will last a good deal longer than that. I mean, back in 2000 asking ourselves whether it would survive 10 years into the future made more sense than now because DOS games were apparently becoming obsolete with newer versions of Windows. That has been addressed, so there will be a niche for old games for a long time to come.

myk said:

You are. That's practically impossible. With old game emulation being a given nowadays, even many games that are more obscure than DOOM will last a good deal longer than that. I mean, back in 2000 asking ourselves whether it would survive 10 years into the future made more sense than now because DOS games were apparently becoming obsolete with newer versions of Windows. That has been addressed, so there will be a niche for old games for a long time to come.

Yes, but you fail to understand my point.

I am sure that from 10 years from now it will be possible to play Doom in one way or the other, but will people still show enough interest towards the game to willingly play it?

hardcore_gamer said:

Yes, but you can't compare Doom with games like Super Mario because Super Mario is a mainstream franchise that pretty much every human begin in the world knows about.

The fact is that Doom while begin extremely famous isn't that well known by a large portion of the current gaming community.

Doom isn't a mainstream franchise? I beg to differ. Certainly, it takes a back seat to modern games now, but I guarantee you, the first whiff we get of D4 and we'll all be hanging on Carmack's every word for months. As for those who've never heard of the game, they'll be those uncultured fucks who think achievements/trophies in games are important. Or that Master Chief is an entirely original character.

And, for the record, I bought a SNES before Christmas and am currently having a blast on the likes of Starfox, Smash TV and Mario Kart. Go ahead, laugh. I am.

Doom will live on as long as classics like Space Invaders, Pac-Man, and Super Mario Bros live on, with its own advantages giving it even more longevity. It's been around for, what, 16 years now? And we still have new people joining the community and doing great work, or just loving the game and playing what other people are making. I can't imagine it dropping off the face of the earth anytime soon.

hardcore_gamer said:

Doom jump started the FPS genre, and created the term "Deathmatch". I'm pretty sure that was mainstream.

I'll probably be playing Doom on and off well past 10 years. Even if the community dies, their legacy will give me plenty of things to play, and even if I lose all that, the bases games are timeless.

Also, I have never heard of anyone not knowing what Doom is. Ive met 10 year olds that knew what Doom was, and ive never seen anyone whine about "that old shitty game" Instead I always get "I remember that, great game" "Howd you get Doom running and looking like that? Can you show me how?" or some other praise.

hardcore_gamer said:
Yes, but you fail to understand my point.

I understood quite poignantly and dismissed what you were saying by pointing to material facts. To add, there will be new players for years to come, and unless the people around here all die from an attack by brain eating aliens that spread through the DOOM source code, you will see a percentage of us still at it, helping to maintain a tradition of playing and modding. The world is huge, and only becoming more populated, with an increasing range for the Internet and access to games and their culture.

Doom is sort of a "baby's first moddable game" for a lot of people. I don't think it's going anywhere.

I've introduced half a dozen friends to Doom. Three of them like enough to play, and one of them is interested in mapping (but DB is giving him technical grief).

I'd say... late December of 2012 would be a good guess.

There's some people in my school who recognize Doom, for better or for worse. This happened during lunch one day. I showed a group of people Covert Ops 3D on my cell and someone asked me if it was Doom.

I'd say Doom will last as long as people still show interest in it and pass it along to their dynasty.

Classic games don't die and Doom's a classic. While the fanbase has shrunk a lot since the mid 90s Doom continues to attract new converts, being easy to pick up and fun to play helps a lot in that regard. Carmack's decision to open up the code has future-proofed the game, so I expect Doom will still be around long after Intel's x86 CPU architecture has been superceded and the FPS genre has fallen from favour, computer gaming historians will continue to use Doom as an FPS benchmark and people in need of a quick nostalgia fix will keep a copy on their PC/phone/remote.

Maybe when idsoftware makes a commercial release IWAD that is just a rehashed Doom 2 with bugfixes, some new monsters, a new weapon, a bunch of new textures, 32 new maps, and vague storyline.

Oh wait that's still doom.

Maybe on 12/21/12 when the end of the world happens and theres no humans left to play it.

I know a person who still does lan parties and one of the main games they play is doom (vanilla doom).
and I even seen a Japanese server in Skulltag.
I never see doom community dieing. (except for what myk said)
This month I seen almost 20 first map so it shows that the doom community is growing (even with the increase of mmos and other more advance games).

40oz said:

Maybe when idsoftware makes a commercial release IWAD that is just a rehashed Doom 2 with bugfixes, some new monsters, a new weapon, a bunch of new textures, 32 new maps, and vague storyline.

If they did this everyone would just bitch about how they're beating a dead horse and/or criticize them for just trying to make a quick buck (because seriously, it would probably cost them less than a couple hundred bucks over a weekend to have a couple employees squirt one of these out).

That said, I doubt anyone would choose to not buy it regardless of either of those reasons. I know I would. That would be fuckin' sweet.

Nomad said:

If they did this everyone would just bitch about how they're beating a dead horse and/or criticize them for just trying to make a quick buck (because seriously, it would probably cost them less than a couple hundred bucks over a weekend to have a couple employees squirt one of these out).

That said, I doubt anyone would choose to not buy it regardless of either of those reasons. I know I would. That would be fuckin' sweet.

And then wed all make sequels and tributes using its style

Nomad said:

Actually I didn't think of it that way. But like you I'd buy it too. Even if it were $50.

Patrick said:

Doom is sort of a "baby's first moddable game" for a lot of people. I don't think it's going anywhere.

I'd probably say "My First Moddable game", and that really applies to me too for two reasons. 1) My computer is not expected to run Half-Life 2 and 2) It's the first game I've tried modding (and I'm not giving up anytime soon). To quote the asshole general from Avatar, "Nothing's over while I'm still breathing".

There's actually a clock that was made specifically to answer this question. Interest in Doom will cease at the same moment as this clock hits midnight. It's called the doomsday clock.

When and if Doom dies, it would be when all those who remember Doom are dead and burried. So probaly not for awhile. However the community IS getting slimmer and slimmer.

Speaking of which, has anybody else noticed that Newdoom.com seemed to have faded? The News section hasn't been updated for about 6 months or so and all of the hosted sites are no longer there.

Creaphis said:

There's actually a clock that was made specifically to answer this question. Interest in Doom will cease at the same moment as this clock hits midnight. It's called the doomsday clock.

Is that also when Legacy 2 is supposed to come out?

CeeJay said:

Speaking of which, has anybody else noticed that Newdoom.com seemed to have faded? The News section hasn't been updated for about 6 months or so and all of the hosted sites are no longer there.

Phoebus, the admin, shafted everyone and made it a "premium" type site where you have to pay to have an account in any usable form, and everyone but a few loyal dopes (and Doom_Dude because he's not a dope) bailed. I guess recently he finally decided to bless all of the older users with full accounts anyway, but not after having banned a large portion of us in the rebellion that followed his initial retarded decision in the first place.

Details can be found in the "Fall of Newdoom" thread in the Everything Else category. Can't be arsed to look for it myself.

CeeJay said:

However the community IS getting slimmer and slimmer.

Except that new, young people are finding Doom every day. There's even quite a few junior doomers posting on DW, and I'd guess there's more on ZDoom/ZDaemon/Skulltag. Plus all those that don't take an active part in the online communities.