Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

I've got a question.

Just to go insanely off topic on a doom site, does anyone remember the game BLOOD? I recently got the game and it's quite fun. I've seen a few doom wads recreating it, and I'm curious if anyone remembers/plays this fun game?

Ditto. I remember trying for a while to download the Blood shareware in the 90's. It was like 17MB or something and my family had some kind of dial-up internet that would always time-out before the download would finish. Playing through Zblud.wad a year or two ago (Blood remake for Doom) brought back memories of playing Blood with cheat codes. I tried Blood 2 later (with cheat codes) but I couldn't figure out how to get that hand thing off the screen so I gave up.

Yes I remember Blood, aside from Doom it's the best FPS ever made. I make it a point to install it before any other game when I get a new PC. XP and Vista have made it a pain in the ass recently, but I still do it. It's an absolutely fantastic game as far as level design, humor, and gameplay are concerned, and I'm still a sucker for good sprite based graphics.

I just downloaded zblud and i must say its pretty good a part if you play it with gzdoom, for some reason, the first level under gzdoom has a bug that wont let you past the door in the graveyard.
right here.
I dont understand because under zdoom it works fine.
EDIT:My mistake, i forgot to put the "actors are infinitly tall" to "no" in the compatibility options.
It works fine, sorry for bothering you all.

Jello said:

Yes I remember Blood, aside from Doom it's the best FPS ever made. I make it a point to install it before any other game when I get a new PC. XP and Vista have made it a pain in the ass recently, but I still do it. It's an absolutely fantastic game as far as level design, humor, and gameplay are concerned, and I'm still a sucker for good sprite based graphics.

Agree - one of the coolest games ever...

Just remember if you make a mod for it not to put in anybody who is anime style, a girl, wearing black or "emo" or youll have the blood community on your back, accusing you of "ruining the legacy" of the game and even following you to other sites to "expose" your "crimes" to people who don't give a shit.
Except for me, who always brings it up because it was so hilariously idiotic. If i could be bothered i'd create my own Blood-styled wad where you play as a 13 year old emo girl from Harajuku using modern weapons, just to work them up into a mouth-frothing rage.

Blood is awesome, it's pretty difficult but gets pretty fun after you get enough ammo and weapons. I'm near the end of the Second episode in the game.

fatal error said:

Well it's cool that so many people still enjoy this game after all these years. Now I know I'm not the only one :P

Many folks like it - we play it on an off in coop... 3 dudes and one gal... a pity that there is no un/official source release...

_bruce_ said:

Many folks like it - we play it on an off in coop... 3 dudes and one gal... a pity that there is no un/official source release...

Yeah, playing blood in a source port would probably be better than dosbox. But Atari doesn't seem to care. (they currently own the rights to blood don't they?)

Technician said:

Sadly, large labels don't feel they need to cater to past consumers. This is why to this day I have respect for id.

id's games are iconic. I'd never even heard of Blood until I'd been around here a few years, I can't imagine people who DON'T use computers as much as I do knowing about them.

There's about as much of a significant commercial market for Blood as there is for Heretic/Hexen (see: none). That's not to say these old games aren't cool!

I've been playing through it again using Dosbox, and it runs perfectly. Even the cutscenes work. I love its morbid sense of humor throughout and its great horror movie references. Blood will always be one of my favorite games of all time.

I also really liked Blood 2, but I never found it to be as much fun to play as the original. It was just... missing something.

I tried playing blood once a long time ago, but it hasn`t fascinated me like Doom for some reason. The painful screams you hear when you shoot enemys were also a bit too much for me, because those screams always made me feel sorry for the bad guys. But shooting moaning zombies and slicing monsters with the chainsaw in Doom was always okay to me for some reason. (=

I played through the original game and the "Plasmas Pack" last year. Some of the levels got repetitive, but it was pretty good overall.

The Cryptic Passage expansion from Wizardworks was very confusing, though. I couldn't figure out how to beat the first level.

caco_killer said:

The Cryptic Passage expansion from Wizardworks was very confusing, though. I couldn't figure out how to beat the first level.

Me either. I ended up having to use noclip because even after running around for a good 10 minutes I couldn't figure out how to get out of that first set of rooms. D;

caco_killer said:

I played through the original game and the "Plasmas Pack" last year. Some of the levels got repetitive, but it was pretty good overall.

Yes, although the cryptic passage mapset is a tad confusing I really enjoyed it. In my opinion the maps (especially the first one) are quite detailed and fun to look at.

Also I beleive a company called sunstorm made cryptic passage. I think their website is still around to. sunstorm.net
They even mention their blood expansion on the about page.

deathbringer said:

Just remember if you make a mod for it not to put in anybody who is anime style, a girl, wearing black or "emo" or youll have the blood community on your back, accusing you of "ruining the legacy" of the game and even following you to other sites to "expose" your "crimes" to people who don't give a shit.
Except for me, who always brings it up because it was so hilariously idiotic. If i could be bothered i'd create my own Blood-styled wad where you play as a 13 year old emo girl from Harajuku using modern weapons, just to work them up into a mouth-frothing rage.

I wonder if the same principle works with the Doom community. If so it would be a great idea for a jokewad: play as some 16 year old emo anime girl in a MegaWAD just to see how many hardcore Doom nerds you can piss off, but the HR-style TC I'm working on will have a male tech-head hacker UAAF Academy student who offered to be sent to a UAC base in distress as extra credit. I'd say I get bonus lulz if I just rehash some old MegaWAD or insert the character into an Oblige/SLIGE WAD just to get people like "ZOMG THAT'S ALIEN VENDETTA WITH AN ANIME EMO BITCH!!1!!!!!1!!1!11". But seriously, I'll stick with my MegaWAD project and totally not create an anime emo girl for a Doom WAD. That's a project for some other jackass.

MSPaintR0cks said:

I tried playing blood once a long time ago, but it hasn`t fascinated me like Doom for some reason. The painful screams you hear when you shoot enemys were also a bit too much for me, because those screams always made me feel sorry for the bad guys. But shooting moaning zombies and slicing monsters with the chainsaw in Doom was always okay to me for some reason. (=

Yeah but the bad guys are evil cultists who serve Tchernobog! I always found the screams to go along with the game's morbid sense of humor anyways.