Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BudTheSpud

Trying to get Perkristians sound WAD's to work

Just installed Doomsday, runs fine. The Doom 2, heretic, etc all run fine. The only problem is the wad file I recieved from Perkristian has no instructions on where to put the wad file. I have tried in the jdoom folder, even the Auto folder created by the smoother weapon animation WAD I got, that works fine. But still I am left with the default sounds.

So now what? I have seen the videos of Perkristian's sound pack and it's really awesome, but I am just not sure of how to get the darned sound wad to work. Once I got that figured out, I'm sure I can probably get the music wad to work later. But one thing at a time, heh.

Any help would be appreciated. I have googled, searched and tried finding any instructions on where to put these wads, with no avail. I hope this isn't too noobish of a question, seeming as most have not had troubles making this work.

As a side note, I'm also curious as to where those pictures of the Baron of Hell and Cyberdemon were from in the top Doomworld banner.

I use PerKristian's soundfx.wad all the time. I just drag and drop it with whatever levels I happen to be playing at the time. I use ZDoom mostly, but presumably the same thing would apply to Doomsday.

Or you could create a shortcut to the doomsday .exe, go to the shortcut's properties, and configure perkristian's sfx wad to run in the "target" box.

Your target box might have something like this written in it.

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\zdoom-2.2.1\zdoom.exe" zdoom -file pk_doom_sfx.wad

Then you can drag and drop whatever wads you wish onto the shortcut, and it will always run perkristians sfx wad along with the levels you want to play.

Hope this helps.

In Doomsday, one can place the file in "Data/JDoom/Auto" to have it auto loaded by all the Doom games.

Or if using Snowberry, select the addons tab and press the "+" plus button, then browse for the wad.

I wouldn't bother with a shortcut like Kyka suggests. Though for reference, Doomsday does support the command line in the same way as ZDoom except you also need to specify an Iwad.

Vermil said:

In Doomsday, one can place the file in "Data/JDoom/Auto" to have it auto loaded by all the Doom games.

Or if using Snowberry, select the addons tab and press the "+" plus button, then browse for the wad.

I wouldn't bother with a shortcut like Kyka suggests. Though for reference, Doomsday does support the command line in the same way as ZDoom except you also need to specify an Iwad.

I did the Auto file folder advice, but the sounds remain default. The Doomsday interface seems a bit repetitive with multiple tabs for each game, so I'm not sure where to begin in activating it. I thought it was just a matter of placing the wad and checkboxing it along with the wad of the game I was playing.

Bear in mind that some of these sounds, though higher quality, may not actually be that distinguishable from the originals. They won't be as different to the originals as say MP3 music is to the original MUS files

That said, check your Doomsday.out (which is located in "Snowbery/Runtime") file to check if the wad is actually being loaded. Also check the audio tab in the control panel, in game (in the options menu), to see what sample rate Dday is using. Dday defaults to 11025khz; the samples in Perkristian's wad are 22050khz or higher.

Vermil said:

Bear in mind that some of these sounds, though higher quality, may not actually be that distinguishable from the originals. They won't be as different to the originals as say MP3 music is to the original MUS files

That said, check your Doomsday.out (which is located in "Snowbery/Runtime") file to check if the wad is actually being loaded. Also check the audio tab in the control panel, in game (in the options menu), to see what sample rate Dday is using. Dday defaults to 11025khz; the samples in Perkristian's wad are 22050khz or higher.

I just searched through my C:/Doomsday folder and could not find any Snowbery folder. Only folders listed are Bin, Data, Defs, Doc, kicksprofiles and Run. With the Kickstart.exe's and kickstart.out and .cfg, plus the Jdoom, JHeretic, JHexen application and gIBSPX exes.

I tried changing the sample rate with no effect. Both Pistol and Shotgun have the same default sounds. In the youtube video they were both different. I currently have pk_doom_sfx.wad in the Auto folder, which also has the pk_weapons_dd.wad. Strange that the smooth weapons mod works fine yet the sounds don't.

BudTheSpud said:

I just searched through my C:/Doomsday folder and could not find any Snowbery folder. Only folders listed are Bin, Data, Defs, Doc, kicksprofiles and Run. With the Kickstart.exe's and kickstart.out and .cfg, plus the Jdoom, JHeretic, JHexen application and gIBSPX exes.

Ah Kickstart. In that case, I'm also guessing Dday 1.8.6 (sadly, most people jump for the latest 1.9 beta version even though it is a beta). You'll find the Doomsday.out file in "Run/JDoom".

Still, I just stuck the wad in my "Data/JDoom/Auto" and it works just fine.

Again I say that pk_doom_sfx.wad simply contains higher quality versions of the default sounds.

I used a different pistol/chaingun sound in the YouTube videos, but the shotgun is the same.

It should work by placing the wad in the jdoom\auto folder. Also; a set of descent speakers is recommended.

THOSE pictures - can't see for looking some days.

Probably from The Book of id.

Obviously from the Doom2 CD/box art.

Possibly the original clay model.