Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

A three headed monkey behind you

I wonder if some of you still know those classic old adventure games made by Sierra and LucasArts. Games like Space Quest, Kings Quest, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and so on. I totally love them, especially the Quest for Glory Series by Sierra.
I have already seen some guys here having the main character from Quest for Glory and Roger Wilco from Space Quest as their avatar.
I also thought about remaking locations of those old games as a doom level. But I discovered that it is actually pretty hard. Another thought was to remake Doom as and adventure game, using the levels as backgrounds and the sprites as actors. (=

Hell yeah, I used to play those games all the time. Right now I just own the Space Quest Collection and the Monkey Island remake that I got on Steam. I think my favorite of all time was Eco Quest: Rainforest. It was meant for kids, but I thought it was really fun.

Anyway, an adventuring game made with the Doom engine would be interesting.

MSPaintR0cks said:

Another thought was to remake Doom as and adventure game, using the levels as backgrounds and the sprites as actors. (=

I've actually been interested in doing something like this for a long time. The only other person I've talked to who would be interested in such a thing would never make the effort to do it anyway.

The original idea was something like 5 Days a Stranger, only with kind of a survival horror feel kind of like the first Clocktower game (where you're really pretty defenseless and your best bet is to run away rather than fight). He had some good ideas, but it never would have happened.

Personally, I'd love to try to do something like Tex Murphy.

Gez said:

Three of those point 'n' click adventure games are available for free on GOG. (They're actually the only free games available there at the moment.) And all three of them can be played through with ScummVM.

http://www.scummvm.org/ + http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/price/000

Those games are already distributed with ScummVM, if you werent' aware. :)

Danarchy said:

The problem is geometry. With 2d graphics you could make anything happen. Here you're limited to sectors and visual gimmicks to make it happen.

MSPaintR0cks said:

Another thought was to remake Doom as and adventure game, using the levels as backgrounds and the sprites as actors. (=

Like this?

EDIT: wrong game, fixed link

Gez said:

Three of those point 'n' click adventure games are available for free on GOG. (They're actually the only free games available there at the moment.) And all three of them can be played through with ScummVM.

http://www.scummvm.org/ + http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/price/000

Beneath a Steel Sky is one of my all time favorite adventures. I absolutely love the setting, even if the game is really short once you know what to do.

The only "point and click" adventure game I've ever bother playing and beating is the NES version of Shadowgate. Normally I don't care much for adventure games as they usually bored me, but Shadowgate was one of those that I kept on playing for some reason...oh wait it was the kickass music ^^

Danarchy said:

Hell yeah, I used to play those games all the time.

Same here, mostly on the Amiga.

Any Sierra game remake will have to include at least 101 unfair ways to die. :)

40oz said:

Despite the fact that looks cheesy as fuck, it's actually pretty cool.

I'd love a Doom point-and-click. I have played and finished many of the games mentioned above.

printz said:

The problem is geometry. With 2d graphics you could make anything happen. Here you're limited to sectors and visual gimmicks to make it happen.

You ever played the last three Tex Murphy games (Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, and Overseer)? They were all point & click adventures with a full 3d environment (not pre-rendered, actual environments you can walk around in). It can be done. Plus it wouldn't have to be that detailed. A Doom themed adventure game could easily be done with all the existing elements in the game and probably little else added.

Nomad said:

You ever played the last three Tex Murphy games (Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, and Overseer)? They were all point & click adventures with a full 3d environment (not pre-rendered, actual environments you can walk around in). It can be done. Plus it wouldn't have to be that detailed. A Doom themed adventure game could easily be done with all the existing elements in the game and probably little else added.

That sounds like a really amazing idea. I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but it'd be a pain for me to do, due to it requiring a lot of hacks/scripting (and I don't know how to work with ACS or other Doom-based scripting languages).

How can anyone not know/love all those old LucasArts & Co. games? I sometimes wish I could erase them from my memory so as to be able to play and experience them like the first time without knowing all the puzzles beforehand.
Too bad they don't make games like that anymore. All newer adventures lack the flair and immersion of the classics, even if some of them manage to get somewhat close, like Runaway iirc and, to a lesser degree, the Tunguska series. Telltale Games' Sam&Max and Monkey Island episodes were ok but ultimately nowhere near the complexity of the originals.
Looking at adventure game sites, I always realize how many there were back in the day and how few of them I've actually played due to their varying quality or my ignorance...

Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress as well as Flight of the Amazon Queen are available at scummvm.org, too, by the way.

I highly recommend Yahtzee's John DeFoe series: 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, Trilby's Notes, and 6 Days a Sacrifice (in that order). Short amateur adventures with an interesting (albeit not entirely new) story. The third game's control scheme is a nod to the old Space Quest and Kings Quest games, with a text interface, and it works surprisingly well.

Edit: As for a Doom adventure, there are several programs that allow the creation of custom adventures, like AGS and since the sprites and background images already exist, it shouldn't be too hard to make one.

Nomad said:

You ever played the last three Tex Murphy games (Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, and Overseer)?

If you haven't played it already check out Martian Memorandum, it's an early Tex game made before UaKM became popular. There's another game that uses the same engine called Countdown, it sticks in my mind as one of those games that really gets in your head.

Super Jamie said:

If you haven't played it already check out Martian Memorandum, it's an early Tex game made before UaKM became popular. There's another game that uses the same engine called Countdown, it sticks in my mind as one of those games that really gets in your head.

I used to own MM back in ye olde floppy and DOS age, however it never worked right. It always froze in the same place, right at the beginning. We tried on several computers and just never got it to work. :(

I wish I had some money, because I've seen all the Tex Murphy games on sale over at GOG several times, and I've only had the chance to ever play UAKM and Overseer :(