Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jon

A few changes

Freedoom is not dead! But its true to say that incoming stuff has frozen to a near halt. Because of this, I've removed all assigns.

If you still have a genuine wish to complete a resource you have had assigned, then you can beg me to put it back.

Otherwise, if you've had you heart on completing something that was previously assigned to someone else, now is your chance.

The only reason things were coming in so fast at the beginning was because it was all music, flats and textures, which are relatively quick to make.

Now that they're all done (or nearly done, in the case of the textures), all that's left is levels and sprites, and it'll take people a while to create decent ones.

Anyway, put me back for map22.

Ok, I've assigned it and dated it.

If we date assigns in future we can keep a better record of 'resource squatting'.

I was thinking, maybe we need some kind of more attainable short term goal. At the moment we're plodding along without any kind of plans or goals. I thought maybe we could start a short term "sub-project" of creating a complete shareware wad. This is almost attainable - we just need a couple more monsters, some sounds and levels. I'm sure it would get interest up again. What does everyone else think?

Yeah, I've been so busy with Millennium, haven't made much progress on my Map13.

I'm not going to claim it again until after Millennium's done.

Sorry.

Yeah, I've been so busy with Millennium, haven't made much progress on my Map13.

I'm not going to claim it again until after Millennium's done.

Sorry.

Thats ok- at least you aren't claiming it and then sitting on it, which would be worse.

Hmm... I have to admit I've been ignoring my doom stuff recently. I've lost my creativity somewhere. For this reason, I'm not gonna re-claim any stuff, but I'll probably continue to work on a map 32, when I feel like it. If someone submits one before me, meh. I can live with it.

Fraggle - sounds good... what exactly would we need?

Fraggle - sounds good... what exactly would we need?

Probably not much, actually. If you look at the list of things we need for a shareware wad, we have:

Textures - we probably have all the textures we need already, the number missing if any will be small
Graphics (menus etc) - Mostly the menu graphics and the between-level stuff. Most of the other graphics have already been done.
Music - We already have an overabundance of music. No problem there.
Levels - We only need 10 levels, I'm sure there are plenty of E1-style levels already out there that we could use.
Misc lumps - playpal, colormap etc. Done.
Sprites - Main priority here is the monsters. Episode 1 didnt have that many different monsters - we only need replacements for the Demon and Baron[s] of Hell (all others are already done). Some of the other miscellaneous items need to be done as well, of course (powerup items).
Sound Effects - We need people to do sound effects pretty desperately. The shareware wad, by my count only has 55 sound effects (doom2.wad has 108), but these are "core" sound effects. Some have been done already (20-30). In the worst case we could always fill in the remaining sound effects with blank sounds, although that would suck.

I think this would be really useful. As well as bringing back interest in Freedoom it would fill in some of the big holes we have.

Levels - We only need 10 levels, I'm sure there are plenty of E1-style levels already out there that we could use.

Actually, I have a few that need some quick touchups. I lost the 2 best ones back in 1995 with a hard drive failure, but anyways, they're old but they'd at least be original. Plus they run with vanilla doom.exe.

Actually, I have a few that need some quick touchups. I lost the 2 best ones back in 1995 with a hard drive failure, but anyways, they're old but they'd at least be original. Plus they run with vanilla doom.exe.

I could (probably) do touch-ups... depends what you need... If you want, send a couple to AirRaid@planettonyhawk.com, with a text file saying what you want done to em...

I need long time, but I'm working on the demon (sent preview to the project site)

http://freedoom.despayre.org:81/art/saint_of_killers/Demon.jpg

Nice. Cant wait for the finished result :)

By the way, I was thinking about your problem with the white speckles on the borders of sprites. You may want to try drawing a black line around the sprites before you scan them - that way, you get black speckles instead which blend in a lot better. Also, do you think you could upload some hi-res (2x or 4x) versions of the sprites? People might conceivably want to do hires sprites in the same way they're doing hires textures.

White/Black artifacts: Do you know what is a Columbus Egg? That is....

About Hi-res sprites: I was joust thinking about this, only I dunno if the allmighty Jakko is implementing this feature into his wonderful engine. By the way I have all the original scans of my sprites stored in large format in 24 bit...

About Hi-res sprites: I was joust thinking about this, only I dunno if the allmighty Jakko is implementing this feature into his wonderful engine. By the way I have all the original scans of my sprites stored in large format in 24 bit...

Someone most likely will do, if Jakko doesn't.

good work :)

Put me down for map01. I wanna do that cos it will only have to be a small map and I can do it rather quickly...hopefully. So yeah.

hey, um....if there is any more maps that needs to be completed, just let me know, I can make 5 large maps in less than 2 weeks.

Son of a gun, man!!! I swear, I had been working on a very lovely MAP01, but then my little brother felt the need to delete my Doom 2 directory, so forget that. It was looking awesome, and I was really excited about it, too. Oh well, I'm glad to see that people are actually still working on it, at least.

Heh I were supposed to make a MAP01 a couple of months back... but I never got around to it.

I'll do Barrels O' Fun, okay? I've got some cruel Ideas that should work well.