Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Horror

Favorite MIDIs?

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I think MIDIs nowdays are completely useless. The sourceports now supports the .mp3 format. MIDI makes the wad looks a mobile phone game.

Aren't you that guy that said all ports except ZDoom suck because they don't support custom weapons?

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I think MIDIs nowdays are completely useless. The sourceports now supports the .mp3 format. MIDI makes the wad looks a mobile phone game.

I completely and utterly disagree.

Heh, I thought about making a topic like this, but more like: "What cool and catchy midis do you have that you like to listen to?" I've recently just been wanting to build a huge music folder of space-saving midis to listen to all the time.

But in doom maps? I like the HR music (which is from ROTT, I think?).

my favorite are the jazz jackrabbit remakes by MaliceX (and a few others help on a few) http://www.vgmusic.com/music/computer/microsoft/windows/index-gr.html

in Doom mods I like mark klem,s work http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/45777-mark-klem-music-stuff-here/
and Jimmy's work http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/45142-jimmys-music-site-newest-warsword-and-rusty-nails-mp3s-on-soundclick/

and MSPaintR0cks music even though only one is done
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/49500-some-doom-music-made-by-me/

and I can't chose one song its way to hard

and every single composer (that makes music with a computer) learns how to make good midis.

The music from TNT Map04 is certainly one of the my favorites, as is Dark Halls (E1M3).

Custom MIDIs have always been more enjoyable to me than songs converted to MIDI. A lot of the converted ones just feel like dried up versions of the original. Of course... a lot of Doom's music was kind of like converted music in a way.

Most music in TeamTNT wads. Great memorable tunes from Evilution, Icarus, Eternal Doom, etc. These are strong custom soundtracks, not ripped off another game or synthesized versions of recorded songs.

DeumReaper said:

Most music in TeamTNT wads. Great memorable tunes from Evilution, Icarus, Eternal Doom, etc. These are strong custom soundtracks, not ripped off another game or synthesized versions of recorded songs.

Well each one of them had a different team of music creators. For me, Evilution's music was so-so (much better than Doom II, though), Icarus was superb and Eternal Doom was horrible: primitive, short, repetible tracks.

My favourites:
WADs: Icarus, MM2, MM, Hell Revealed II, 2002ADO.
Mostly Klem's and Tolwyn's stuff but rather not from Requiem (except MAP07 and MAP11, both by Tolwyn)

My favorite custom MIDIs are TNT:Evilution, Cygnus IV, Memento Mori 1 & 2, 2002ado, Hell Revealed II and WOS.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I think MIDIs nowdays are completely useless.

And people here still use them :P

It would be better to use a shitty Slayer MIDI than to use a full fledged Slayer MP3 because the MP3 violates copyright. I'm not too keen on whether public domain MP3's (ex. NewGrounds Audio Portal) are acceptable in a WAD or not though according to Doomworld rules.

Anything *by Mark Klem or David Shaw is pretty much an instant win in my book. There was also a midi composer named Bob Reganess who used to make his own music for wads. His stuff is pretty underrated and worth checking out.

On a somewhat related note, I think it is interesting that one out of every two wads around 95 or 96 included at least one NIN midi. Pretty much anytime I hear a NIN song now, I am brought back to memories of the pwads I played long ago :P.

EDIT: Okay I liked some of the music from Eternal Doom as well. The only problem with the midis from that wad though...is that they are way too short for the huge levels they occupy, making them repetitive real quick.

Who cares, no one is going to sue you for using an MP3 in your Doom wad unless you sell it or something

They're not in Doom wads but I love these two by Daniel Genz

http://www.purpleguppy.net/dgenz/Daniel_Genz_-_NES_-_Duck_Tales_-_Journey_to_the_Moon.mid

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gameboy/DG_SML_Muda.mid

I tried emailing him a couple times asking if I could use them in a Doom mod, but the addresses were duds. I have one more that I think is more recent, but I'm scared if I ask he'll happen to have Doom on his computer and want to play the wad. I'll feel bad telling him it'll take me at least another 40 years to get off my lazy ass and finish it.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

And you were the one asking where to get the Doom64 soundtrack? Turn your PMs on.

Fisk said:

Aren't you that guy that said all ports except ZDoom suck because they don't support custom weapons?

Yes he's the guy. I think he meant DECORATE..

TNT's Map04 tune is one of the best MIDI's ive ever heard. Another good one is Duke Nukem 3D's Lunar Reactor. I first heard this one in Spork's Simplicity, and loved it, and then when I managed to get to Lunar Reactor for the first time, I couldnt beleive my ears. I'm actually playing this level right now with the music turned up ludicrously high ;]

Kagemaru_H said:

What I meant was "Would it be acceptable to use public domain MP3's in a Doom WAD you'll post on Doomworld?

Mr. T said:

Who cares, no one is going to sue you for using an MP3 in your Doom wad unless you sell it or something

Public domain is fine as long as you state that they're legal, preferably with a source. Non-free songs though aren't allowed on /idgames and usually get removed from the archives eventually even if they manage to slip by. Mr. T, no one really gives a damn whether you think it's a ridiculous rule or not, but it is a rule and you're better going to respect it if you're going to use /idgames or Doomworld forums for posting your own projects.

Does it make me a mini mod to say what you just said was minimodding?

Personally I can't stand MIDI music while I'm playing, it starts to grate on my ears after a while and it ruins the atmosphere for me. I either play with no music or with Lustmord playing from winamp.

TheMionicDonut said:

Does it make me a mini mod to say what you just said was minimodding?

Yes.

Maes said:

canon.mid

Passport's better.

But I really really like the tune from "Metal".

mrguytodd said:

Personally I can't stand MIDI music while I'm playing, it starts to grate on my ears after a while and it ruins the atmosphere for me. I either play with no music or with Lustmord playing from winamp.

Try playing with the PSX Doom or Doom 64 soundtrack, if atmosphere is what your after

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I really dissagree with this. MIDIs actually go really good with the game. Brings back good Nastolgia value. Plus MIDIs just rock :P

I always loved the intermission song from Doom 1. Back in 2003, when I was maybe 10 years old and never had played the game, I only knew the midi songs of it and this one particular song made me think that Doom had to be totally kickass. So I always wanted to play it. (=
D_IN_CIT is great too and and I always tap the rhythm of D_RUNNIN with my fingers on the school bank and only realize it after someone tells me to stop because it gets annoying.

Fisk said:

DECORATE you mean? Maybe. There are lots of people who thinks the same. But what it has to do with this thread?

Kagemaru_H said:

It would be better to use a shitty Slayer MIDI than to use a full fledged Slayer MP3 because the MP3 violates copyright. I'm not too keen on whether public domain MP3's (ex. NewGrounds Audio Portal) are acceptable in a WAD or not though according to Doomworld rules.

Not if you have sound editing skills, and are able to remove all vocals from the song, leaving just some riff, and the solo. That will make the song looks like a demo. Nobody will ever fuck up with you by doing that. Also, I'm sure you will not want to sell your wad, or something like that.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

DECORATE you mean? Maybe. There are lots of people who thinks the same. But what it has to do with this thread?

Plenty. It shows you are discontent with the game's materials, which is an unpopular opinion.

Dude, I don't mean I'm discontent. I just think cool to inovate sometimes.

EDIT: Now I got the point. Is it all about what I said in other guy's thread who was trying to make a new source port? Wich as a suggestion I said "No DECORATE? It fails IMO"? That doesn't means I dislike all other sourceports, I mean it just fails if you try to make a "Doomsday Clone", if you can't even give it something new, like the DECORATE support. Now, please, lets get back in-topic.