Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phml

Question about TITLEPIC resolution and other

If I'm aiming for Boom v2.02 compatibility, what resolution can I use for the title and intermission screens ? I suppose I should use 320x200 pictures while also taking in consideration the aspect ratio correction (that is how vanilla Doom worked, isn't it ?), but haven't found any info on it specifically and was wondering if Boom supported higher resolutions for that purpose. For that matter, if there's somewhere a comprehensive Boom documentation or a detailed changelog, I'd appreciate if you could point it out to me. I tried to look it up on the Doom wiki and the Boom site but so far the few tidbits I've found are kind of fragmented.

320x200 is it, yes. I believe the comprehensive Boom editing docs are in a file called "BOOMEDIT.TXT", or something along those lines? Someone who knows better than I do can probably point you to it.

Thanks !

I read the BOOMREF.txt that explains the linedefs, sectors, pushers/pullers stuff in great detail. I was also wondering about various things like the increased limits or, well, basically any change compared to vanilla Doom.

If you try anything bigger than 320x200, Boom will quit with an error - confirmed with BOOM v2.02 in DOSBox.

esselfortium said:

I believe the comprehensive Boom editing docs are in a file called "BOOMEDIT.TXT", or something along those lines?

This?

Same as above, but divided into sections, can be found here.

EDIT:
Some other useful links:

As far as interface graphics are concerned, like the title pic or the status bar, Boom still behaves much like Doom (aside from being able to make the status bar look like a salad or a circus decoration through color remapping.) Most of the expansions or raised limits are mapping or map-handling related, and that is what BOOMREF deals with. The resources it handles are also more or less unchanged, except you can stuff sprites in a PWAD without patching and define custom switches or animations.