Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeenJammin

How far does sound travel?

I think it can range up to a radius of almost 1024.

The logical thing to do would be to just playtest your own map...

I suppose it's very, very high if there is any (I've played maps with sectors ~20.000 px long and monsters from the back of there heard sounds).

If you want to block sounds, you need to add "block sound" linedefs - 2 of them.

That may be logical but when I run into where it matters, I need the right length!

EDIT: I'm aware of monsters not being affected

I just separate each courtyard in my level with a set of block-sound linedefs, more for ambush purposes than realistic physics.

It would be interesting if a port added realistic sounds, so I couldn't hear all those monsters so clearly behind a thick obstacle...

If you want to find out how far sound travels in Doom, place a Cyberdemon in a huge sector, block him in place with a stick or map geometry, start the game on that map, turn the automap grid on, type iddtiddt in the automap, and run as far as possible from the cyberdemon until his clunks cut off. Each square is 128 units wide.

Infinite. If you make a 10000x10000 map, put monsters on one corner, and you in the other, and fire the pistol, or punch the air, the monsters still can hear you.

You must isolate the area the monsters are with walls and doors, or give all of then the "Deaf" flag.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Infinite. If you make a 10000x10000 map, put monsters on one corner, and you in the other, and fire the pistol, or punch the air, the monsters still can hear you.

You must isolate the area the monsters are with walls and doors, or give all of then the "Deaf" flag.

He's asking about the sound players can hear. Yes, monsters can hear any sound on a map, but players have a limited range of hearing.

Player sound attenuation may vary in different engines. Some even have compatibility settings to change this to vanilla or port behavior.

In the original game, all 8th levels have less sound attenuation. This didn't survive into source ports because Paul Radek's sound code was excluded from the source release due to copyright reasons. Chocolate Doom reincorporated the phenomenon, as it aims to closely imitate the DOS executable.

The default attenuator function used in vanilla Doom sets sounds to 0 volume level at 1200 units' distance, and to full volume at 200 units' distance or closer.

As for monsters, yes, sound propagation from their point of view is infinite, because "sound" for them is done as a sector-crawling iteration that will continue across linedefs until it meets some kind of obstruction (any 1-sided lines or a pair of sound-blocking lines).