Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Where do I find the equivalent Quake 2 community?!

Now you see, I looked through the Project Vega thread in the /blogs, and it really inspired me to try something truly 3d, not Doom, for a game made for such type of maps, and miles better than Quake 1, which is Quake 2. The question is, where do I find a community that plays and uploads Quake 2 single player maps? I can enjoy Quake 2 for more than multiplayer, which frankly, I associate with the 12-year old, which I was myself when I was playing FPS games in an internet cafe named "Quake". I want to create maps that show the fight with the Strogg and upload them somewhere reliable and where people can comment, why not.

What I found, besides gamespy planetquake (if gamespy's the only choice, it better be good), was a contest for DM Quake 2 maps. Crap. Anything else?

Quake has the larger community between the two games, both in singleplayer and deathmatch. Hardly anyone plays or maps for Quake 2 singleplayer these days.

I haven't looked recently but Quake certainly has a larger community over Quake 2, like Snarboo said.

Seems kinda weird, at least to me, considering how much I think they're both such excellent games. I've been messing about with some Heretic 2 DM map editing and have been recently thinking of designing a SP map or two for either Quake or Quake 2. I used to dabble with both games a few years back and have that itch again...

Might want to check this place tho: func_msgboard (just throwing this on here as remembered it being a good site for Quake stuffs / had it booked marked / gotta run....)

Also check out the Moddb. I never used it myself, so don't know much about it.

Quake 2 is miles better than Quake 1? Blasphemy! :P
I've yet to actually see one myself aside from Gamespy.

I haven't heard of any Q2SP release, let alone a corresponding community, in recent years, either. With the demise of several websites/forums the only Q2 mapping place I can think of is the Q2 Cafe, but the forum seems more dead than alive and has its sole focus on DM maps anyway (sometimes they hold competitions like the one you found at PQ). Tastyspleen is DM, too.

It's a pity really. I wouldn't mind some fresh Q2SP every once in a while.

I really loved Q2, more so than Q1 now. Unfortunately there isn't a big Q2 editing community at all.

If it's at least as good as a Quake game, sure. But I'll have to reinstall it first. Anyway, I suspect it has a different gameplay to Quake, less arcade-y. I tried it a bit and found it reaaaally creepy, much better at this than Doom 3...

PRIMEVAL said:

Quake 2 is miles better than Quake 1? Blasphemy! :P

I like the "thy flesh consumed" colors and monster/weapon richness from Quake 2 more, sorry.

printz said:
monster/weapon richness from Quake 2

Too much Robotech richness, if you ask me. Those guys that went "ita ita" before attacking with a rail shot were kind of cool, though.

I definitely enjoy Q2 more than Q1. But I enjoy both. I've played Q2 many times over more than Q1.

I've only played Quake 4, and Quake 1/2 doesn't work on my sorry-ass POS laptop.

:(

Quake 2 refused to work on my PC after I installed a new video card, but got it to run again after installing the 3.23 patch.

kristus said:

I definitely enjoy Q2 more than Q1. But I enjoy both. I've played Q2 many times over more than Q1.

Ditto. Q2 brings back memories of my late junior high days. From the birthday party my friend had at a place that had a LAN where I first played the game, to the many hours playing against friends over my 56k modem, to the various single player maps I played, to doing an all-nighter playing Loki's Minions CTF. Then that time a few years later (after I had lost the burned CD someone gave me that had Q2 on it) where I found the Quad Pack as well as a Fallout 1/2 pack, all for a total of $30. Yeah, Quake 2 pretty much defined deathmatch for me.

Not to sound like a broken record, but like everyone else here I liked Quake 2 more then Quake 1. On that note, has anyone played the expansion packs? I bought Ground Zero by Rogue, and that was a really good one (except for the damn turrets placed all over, but that was a minor annoyance.) I haven't played The Reckoning. Is it any good?

q1 > q2

Tried playing Q2 a month or so back, quit before getting to the second hub. It was almost as boring as Q4.

I've played Q2 and all its expansion packs. Worth every second of time I spent on it.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I haven't played The Reckoning. Is it any good?

Hell yeah, I thought The Reckoning was very good actually. Both mission packs were well done.

kristus said:

Same here.

Q2 was the first game that I played after installing a 3D accelerated graphics card. I'd played the game many times in software mode and I almost shat myself when I saw the difference between software and hardware rendering.

Mr. Freeze said:
Quake 1/2 doesn't work on my sorry-ass POS laptop.

I don't know about Quake 2 because I don't pay much attention to it, but Quake has a bunch of source ports you can try, either in software or hardware mode.

myk said:

I don't know about Quake 2 because I don't pay much attention to it, but Quake has a bunch of source ports you can try, either in software or hardware mode.

So does Quake2. The only ones I can think of right now are KMQ2 and Q2XP, but there are more of course and probably several that try to keep it as vanilla as possible.

No, I dont know of any communities, but...

The Edge = the best dm map EVER. Seriously.

I played q2 dm for many years, and I only played q2dm1 :P Never got boring.

I've tried a lot of different Q2 source ports. But I always end up sticking with Vanilla Q2. It even works on my new Laptop with Windows7.