Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Horror

Why are people stupid [kid gets angry at people using other port]

I have noticed that alot more people use Zdaemon other than Skulltag. Zdaemon is alright but come on! Skulltag is like 100 times better! It uses the GZDOOM engine and I wnat to know why people use stupid Zdaemon more...

you say a lot more people use zdaemon than skulltag... the only reason more people use it is BECAUSE more people use it, it has a larger community, I personally use skulltag, because it works single player and multiplayer even though I use zDoom for single player Skulltag is way more convienient

Horror said:

I have noticed that alot more people use Zdaemon other than Skulltag. Zdaemon is alright but come on! Skulltag is like 100 times better! It uses the GZDOOM engine and I wnat to know why people use stupid Zdaemon more...

Similarly, I wonder why so many stupid people use Skulltag. ST is a pretty nice port but it attracts people like ^^^^^^THIS GUY^^^^^^^

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I never used Zdaemon. I don't ever downloaded it. Seriously.
After I found skulltag, I never searched for multiplayer sourceports again.

I don't ever used present tense verbs myself, either.

That's actually a choice of taste. Yeah, Skulltag is more advanced than Zdaemon, and i wish more people would play Deathmach or CTF on Skulltag. Everyone on Skulltag plays "All out War 2: The Second Coming" Or "Ghouls VS Humans".

TomoAlien said:

That's actually a choice of taste.

Not entirely. Given the Doom community is kinda small, for multiplayer-oriented ports, many people will choose not the one the most to their taste, but the one with the largest player pool. So there's a strong inertia: one port gets more player because it has more players.

TomoAlien said:

Everyone on Skulltag plays "All out War 2: The Second Coming" Or "Ghouls VS Humans".

You can't play such mods on ZDaemon. People who want old-fashioned CTF or deathmatch will choose ZDaemon because there are more servers and more players.

And nobody ever plays Odamex.

Gez said:

And nobody ever plays Odamex.

Not true at all! Though the numbers are small, they're certainly growing and you can find at least 2-5 people in servers at almost any time of the day since the 0.4.4 release. As a matter of fact, I just got done an FFA that had over 10 different players jump in at one point.

The numbers are growing, a small but dedicated base of players are taking hold, development has been steady, and with a 0.5 release looming over the horizon, things are only going to get better.

So grab Odamex 0.4.4 and get your piece of the future, today!

Horror said:

I wnat to know why people use stupid Zdaemon more...

I'll let you in on a little secret - the ZDaemon community's been infiltrated by Scientologists who've hacked the port to turn it into a subliminal conditioning system. That's the real reason why it's closed source.

What makes Skulltag all this better than ZDaemon? I tried them both and they looked the same.

Well, Skulltag has a GL renderer, that many people think looks best, though I prefer the software renderer. And Skulltag doesn't cap the framerate, while ZDaemon does. And with all the updates to ZDoom, Skulltag now has Directx enhancements in the software renderer, tons of Decorate, ACS, and mapping updates, the new TEXTURES lump, a new sound system, and a bunch of other stuff.

Though I guess since ZDaemon stopped syncing with ZDoom, it's had a lot of updates and fixes of it's own. I wouldn't know, though, since I couldn't deal with the other players behavior and the missing features when I tried it.

Horror said:
I have noticed that alot more people use Zdaemon other than Skulltag.

There tend to be more people on ZDaemon during a good deal of the week. At some points during the weekend Skulltag can have more, though.

I wnat to know why people use stupid Zdaemon more...

Insulting people because they don't like the same thing you do is at best the result of inexperience or ignorance, and at worst a sign of social or mental retardation. Relax, get informed, and do not try to rile people up, and you will survive here.

Getting pissed at people "using the other engine" is, taken a bit farther, much like this: "Why the hell is Roger Federer playing tennis? I don't like tennis! Argh, he should be playing DOOM with me, instead. He's an idiot!"

Since you asked, I tend to use ZDaemon more than Skulltag for stability, because of the player base, and because I don't care that much for game modes past CTF, old school DM and classic coop, and even less for OpenGL or the like.

In any case, since IDE lists the servers for both engines, as well as Odamex, it's easy to use them all. In fact, since there are always some players on both major engines, it's only a loss to be too picky about either. You can prefer one or the other, but if you're starting to feel bad because there are many people on the other engine, you might as well just join them, quit being so fretful and have fun, if you really want their company so much.

• Because I want to play Doom, not GvH/Jumpmaze/whatever barely tested ZDoom abomination is popular this week
  • While both of them put annoying weapon mods on their co-op servers, Skulltag has more of the SUPA DUPA GUNS AND A BILLIONDY CLASSES types.
  • esselfortium said:

it attracts people like ^^^^^^THIS GUY^^^^^^^

• the above mentioned people fill the list with really stupid servers
  • ZDaemon CTF
Sure ZDaemon has its problems, such as people who make a coop server just to kill everyone and ban whoever fights back, the fact it never ever updates, etc. And I do enjoy Skulltag. I just like ZDaemon more.

Ralphis said:

you can find at least 2-5 people in servers at almost any time of the day since the 0.4.4 release.

Do you have secret access to some hidden servers, or does IDE just not pick them all up? I've never seen anyone on Odamex.

In fact, there's no one on now.

DuckReconMajor said:
I've never seen anyone on Odamex.

There were a couple of guys playing coop the other day. You can also make them join by sitting on a server. I tried that and played a DM game on Map01 with some random guy not long ago.

I will say one thing Zdaemon, I do like that they play more DM however Skulltag is more co-op. Needs a lil more DM lol. And when I said "WHy are people stuid" I didn't mean it in an offensive way. SOrry if I made anyone upset :( I merely was only trying to make coversation. I'm not angry at anyone, I worded the topic wrong. I apologize for causing any insult.

Taken one minute ago. Sure 8 players isn't a lot compared to ZD or ST, but it's a start. All you have to do is join a game and usually somebody will follow within moments.

If everybody just looked at servers, not joining, that had no players on them when csdoom, zdaemon, and skulltag were new, there would be NO players ever.

Ralphis said:

Taken one minute ago. Sure 8 players isn't a lot compared to ZD or ST, but it's a start. All you have to do is join a game and usually somebody will follow within moments.

If everybody just looked at servers, not joining, that had no players on them when csdoom, zdaemon, and skulltag were new, there would be NO players ever.

Well since that convinces me, I'll give Odamex another shot this weekend.

I prefer Skulltag to ZDaemon for good modes like Survival, CTF, and Invasion, as well as new power-ups and weapons for my usage in levels.

I use Zdaemon because the user base is better, and there is more interesting games on most of the time.

Horror said:

Skulltag is like 100 times better! It uses the GZDOOM engine

Stopped reading after that part.

As a player looking for fun and competition in OS 1on1, CTF and FFA, I use ZDaemon.
The community there isn't as retarded as some people say. One just has to ignore a few kids, that's all.

For me Skulltag's strongest point is its Invasion mode.

On another note, it's cool to see people playing Odamex. OdaCTF1 is a damn fine wad.

I never tried Skulltag, but I'd like to know if it has a more robust handling of dropped network packets and motion compensation engine than ZDaemon (which apparently has none, and pretty much turns into a mangled 5-figure ping mess. I shit you not, I had to lead my aim with the SSG to shoot someone at point blank because of the delay (and actually bagged him, heh). NOW HOW "31337 pr0 pl4y4h" and "competitive" is that?!

OTOH, Battlefield 1942 has a much more robust network code (and a different game pace) and is playable under the same conditions where ZDaemon turns into a lag clusterfuck. so the codebase does make a difference.

So I was at the library yesterday and I saw a couple of guys on a UDMX server so I joined. I left and came back about 12 hours later and they were still there. How much are you paying these people? Regardless of how much, is it really worth proving a point?

So anyway, here's my list of Odamex complaints so far (let me know if there's a thread for this)

• Won't let go of my mouse in fullscreen when switching to another window
  • Can't switch back to fist after grabbing chainsaw
  • Though I can understand why it doesn't aspect ratio correct widescreen modes, I don't understand why it resizes 4:3 resolutions to 16:9 (1280x960 resizes to 1280x720, etc., all I can get to work is 640x480).
  • I don't know if this is UDMX, but the screen goes full red when I get hurt

The second thing you noted, about the chiansaw, is normal Doom behavior. The Odamex devs are planning to add Boom stuff, but hopefully it will be done properly, taking a tip from PrBoom and applying a variable that enables Boom functionality overall, instead of those hybrid methods that are a compromise or the option-based ones that cause confusion. Then it would be easy to make a server run a vanilla or Boom WAD properly without conflicts or odd behavior.