Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BadCompany

Looking for a sky...

Hey, I searching a good sky graphic. It has to a very hellish space (a bit similar to this background in hell levels of doom³).
The important fact: The "sky" should covers ceiling AND floor. So like a space.

And maybe anyone has got good hellish level music (scared, laughters etc.)?

I send thanks for your incoming helps.

Well, this Legacy of Suffering, (got a cacoward) has a good music in it and a good things to look (dont play it on night. I jumped out of my chair. Seriously). But good sky things i dont know.

Archfile said:

Well, this Legacy of Suffering, (got a cacoward) has a good music in it and a good things to look (dont play it on night. I jumped out of my chair. Seriously). But good sky things i dont know.

LOS sucked. How it got a Cacoward I'm still unsure of.

As for skies, I would ask Scuba Steve.

@DooMAD: That is.
Very nice skies.
But I would more darkness and surrealistic elements (e.g. soar/free-flying stones or others).
(When possible, of course)

I used original doom palette (256x128).

Scuba Steve? A member of here?

Dark red skies can be rather difficult to do well in the Doom palette, due to the lack of a dark red-to-black range, often forcing you to turn the darker parts of the sky into a brownish mush. That's not to say that it's impossible, but it ain't easy, especially at standard sky resolution where you can't get away with as much dithering and the like.

esselfortium said:

Sweet, are those paletted?

Nope, but they convert quite well to it. I'll have a play around at some point and see if I can get them to still look as good at 256x128.

I would imagine they would convert well as they aren't very dark.

Here's a few hellish sky's I whipped up (They are in the DP already)

I have most of Doom color palettes saved so to make these all I have to do is gray scale a source sky image then apply the palette color I need the image to be. Typically for making sky's like these the source sky image is a lot larger than needed so I can just copy out the best looking section of the sky then re-size it to 256x128 then make it a seamless texture.

If anyone wants to use these sky textures feel free to do so.

Pottus said:
I have most of Doom color palettes saved so to make these all I have to do is gray scale a source sky image then apply the palette color I need the image to be. Typically for making sky's like these the source sky image is a lot larger than needed so I can just copy out the best looking section of the sky then re-size it to 256x128 then make it a seamless texture.

If anyone wants to use these sky textures feel free to do so. [/B]

Wow could you help me with putting skies in Doom Builder 2? (you're probably thinking im joking but im not good at this). I'd love to learn how to use skyboxes and stuff.

Doom Builder does not do anything with these at all. I don't mind writing optional 'real' sky rendering in visual mode at some point, but it is extremely low priority because you simply don't need it for editing maps. You use the F_SKY1 flat where you want a sky and the sourceport replaces that with with whatever it wants as sky texture. You can put these in your WAD file as SKY1, SKY2 or SKY3 texture and the sourceport will pick it up as if it was the original sky.

Contorted_Extirpation said:

Wow could you help me with putting skies in Doom Builder 2? (you're probably thinking im joking but im not good at this). I'd love to learn how to use skyboxes and stuff.

It's pretty easy to do as CodeImp said though you can't see the sky's in DB2. There is two different ways to use sky's in your level the first is the traditional way that is just load the sky textures as patches named RSKY1 (Map 01 - 11) RSKY2 (Map 12 - 20) RSKY3 (Map 21 - 32). If your Wad is intended to be played on newer ports you can define your sky texture in the Mapinfo.

map map06 "The Altar Of Sin"
doublesky
sky1 SFIRE1 -2
sky2 RSky3 5
next 2
cluster 1

You can see the doublesky in action here with the flames burning in the foreground and the other sky showing through the transparent parts of the flames also note that the sky's rotate opposite to one another (the -2 and 5 values). Now the skybox component is just built out of actual sectors with a SkyViewPoint thing placed in the center of the skybox. There is also another way to make a skybox is like in The City Of The Damned Apocalypse.

sonic01965 said:

Holy crap! I've played Doom a lot but I've never seen a double sky before. That looks awesome!

I should note the transparency color for the sky is black instead of the cyan mid-texture transparency color.

Oh my God now that looks like a high quality SKYBOX whose architecture stays true to Doom and doesn't use cardboard mountains but geometric ones that look good!

Ewwww cardboard mountains.... reminds me of 241 "cardboard" pizza A bit cheesy for my liking.

Pottus said:

It's pretty easy to do as CodeImp said though you can't see the sky's in DB2. There is two different ways to use sky's in your level the first is the traditional way that is just load the sky textures as patches named RSKY1 (Map 01 - 11) RSKY2 (Map 12 - 20) RSKY3 (Map 21 - 32). If your Wad is intended to be played on newer ports you can define your sky texture in the Mapinfo.

map map06 "The Altar Of Sin"
doublesky
sky1 SFIRE1 -2
sky2 RSky3 5
next 2
cluster 1

Yeah see I have no idea how to "load the sky textures as patches named RSKY1 RSKY2 RSKY3. Im not good at any of that. Does anyone know of any good tutorials that could help me with this stuff?

Pottus said:

If you have MSN Live or IRC I would be willing to show you how everything all works.

I use Internet Explorer as my browser. my email is msn because I used to use msn, but not anymore. Thank you for the offer though.

Pottus said:

I should note the transparency color for the sky is black instead of the cyan mid-texture transparency color.

Cyan is not, and has never been, transparent. Fully of all of the entire bunch of each and every of the 256 colors in the Doom palette are opaquely opaque in an opaque manner that is not transparent, but opaque. And also, it's not transparent. And not cyan either. Index 247 is especially opaque, the most opaque of them all. It's also completely black, which is to say, neither cyan nor transparent.

Don't believe the lies XWE or WinTex or whatever tells you. There's no transparent color in Doom.

Gez said:

Cyan is not, and has never been, transparent. Fully of all of the entire bunch of each and every of the 256 colors in the Doom palette are opaquely opaque in an opaque manner that is not transparent, but opaque. And also, it's not transparent. And not cyan either. Index 247 is especially opaque, the most opaque of them all. It's also completely black, which is to say, neither cyan nor transparent.

Don't believe the lies XWE or WinTex or whatever tells you. There's no transparent color in Doom.

Man I hate duplicate colors in palettes. Strife is blatantly guilty of this when you import textures with black on them.

DuckReconMajor said:

Well then how do you transparent the sky?

In Doom? You don't.

Hexen has a system where black is transparent, so as to allow their doublesky effect. They didn't want to use normal transparency system for some reason, which I am not going to pretend to guess because I'm not sure it would make sense.

ZDoom is compatible with that, of course, since it needs to play Hexen. But you can also use normal transparency, including through a PNG's alpha channel.

Every time people are told to use cyan (or black, whatever) for their transparent color in a ZDoom effect, they end up asking why there is a huge cyan box around their sprite or texture instead of transparency.

printz said:

Man I hate duplicate colors in palettes.

If there weren't duplicate colors in the Doom engine games' palettes, it would have been a lot more complicated for a lot of people. Few Doom editing software actually support Doom's system of only describing pixels that are opaque; internally they remap it to a 256-color palette with one color set as transparent, à la GIF format. If you had no redundancy, such a system couldn't be used, so you'd have no way to export or import transparent graphics...

Gez said:

If there weren't duplicate colors in the Doom engine games' palettes, it would have been a lot more complicated for a lot of people. Few Doom editing software actually support Doom's system of only describing pixels that are opaque; internally they remap it to a 256-color palette with one color set as transparent, à la GIF format. If you had no redundancy, such a system couldn't be used, so you'd have no way to export or import transparent graphics...

Yeah, that's actually a good compromise to easily draw transparency.
But otherwise the duplication can mean more work, like when the different but identical looking colors in PLAYPAL get different mappings in COLORMAP (e.g. Strife) and the cheap/free easy utility (e.g. Paint) can't let you change the color index, so you're stuck with the wrong one.

ohh...only opened a unimportant thread...and then a larger dicussion^^

Now I looking for others (tile vertical) skies. Theme: Hoorendous spaces or surrealistic spaces.
Must looks feared/scared. ;-)

Pottus said:

Here's a few hellish sky's I whipped up (They are in the DP already)

If anyone wants to use these sky textures feel free to do so.

Those are good. I like them