Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E.J.

PSX Doom music conversion?

Hey all.

I was asking myself the other day if it'd be possible to play the PSX version doom music in a source port...

The catch is it needs to be in a tracker format, example - it, mus, mid, mod, s3m, xm.

Anyone know if this has been done?

I consider cheap and quick conversions to mp3/ogg streams as opposed to tracker compositions copouts, unless the source music wasn't even in tracker format to begin with. Anyone here familiar with what type of audio the PSX version used?

Besides, the reason I need tracker format is the port doesn't support audio streams. Cellphones, handheld systems, or older game console ports mostly.

E.J. said:

I was asking myself the other day if it'd be possible to play the PSX version doom music in a source port...

The catch is it needs to be in a tracker format, example - it, mus, mid, mod, s3m, xm.

ZDoom is awesome.

There's no cellphone, handheld, console, etc. port of zDoom I know of. If there were, I guess it would be possible to use the MP3 conversion of the PSX tracks. I'm not sure if it's allowed, so I won't link to the site, it's the same one that hosts the Doom64 TC.

Anyone know how to extract the audio from the PSX version, or has a conversion already been done to a midi/module format?

No, there's no cellphone version of ZDoom. (Though theoretically, you could probably port it to the iPhone, since FMOD Ex is available for that platform.) But you asked if there were ports that can play tracker format tunes, and I gave you one example of one that can.

I don't think support for handheld devices is a high priority for any port developer out there.

E.J. said:

Hey all.

Anyone know if this has been done?

I too, want to see an accurate remake of the PSX and Doom64 music in modtrack. DoomKnight originally started a Doom64 music remake by taking the instruments that I ripped and recreating the songs in modtrack. Though he suddenly dropped off the face of the earth after doing two tracks.

E.J. said:

Anyone know how to extract the audio from the PSX version, or has a conversion already been done to a midi/module format?

I already have the instruments from both PSX and N64 versions, but no one has yet to put them to good use. The closest I have are two tracks for Doom64 by DoomKnight.

I don't know what format these files are in but they haven't been ported to MIDI or mod formats. It would have to be MIDI, I think, because the SDL-based ports don't play MOD files and the like. Maybe one day MOD file playback will also be supported if the TiMidity functionality in SDL is expanded or updated.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong, as the SDL site talks about a MikMod library for MOD files. I'm not sure if DOOM engine ports use it, though. I never tried a MOD file in PrBoom or the like... [Update: I just tried and yeah, they are supported, but the volume sounded kind of low.]

Gez said:
But you asked if there were ports that can play tracker format tunes, and I gave you one example of one that can.

He had noted he wanted it for hand-helds and other non-PC devices before you posted. Nyah.

I don't think support for handheld devices is a high priority for any port developer out there.

Portability to as much as possible, including hand-held devices, is one of the reasons some ports are free software. Chocolate Doom and PrBoom certainly value that portability aspect. There are a few ports to these devices from these sources (maybe some from Doom v1.10) including Carmack's (PrBoom-based) iPhone port.

myk said:

There are a few ports to these devices from these sources (maybe some from Doom v1.10) including Carmack's (PrBoom-based) iPhone port.

That's actually a very good example. The interface had to be completely changed to accommodate the platform. And it's Carmack who did it, because he wanted to sell it at the app store; not Entryway...