Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
path0s

A few questions :)

Hey all, I've been looking around and around trying to find some answers but I dont seem be able to find what I'm looking for. All I seem to be finding are way outdated pages, ports no longer being dev'd, broken urls, etc etc.. I'm sure you all know the drill :)

Am I correct in assuming the latest and greatest GL port is GZdoom? I'm wanting all the eye candy, models, lighting, flares, hi-res, etc to play the standard Doom, DoomII, and maybe hexen game wads.

A few years ago I played in gldoom i think, it had at least a texture pack and a md2 model pack if I remember right. I've found the hi res texture pack for gzdoom, but is there a full model pack to replace all the actors, pickups, items, etc? Can I get a pointer to where it's at? (url or something meaningful to google)

If there isn't a model pack for gzdoom is there a gl port that does have a full model pack and hi-res textures?

Thanks a lot.
-path0s

path0s said:

Hey all, I've been looking around and around trying to find some answers but I dont seem be able to find what I'm looking for. All I seem to be finding are way outdated pages, ports no longer being dev'd, broken urls, etc etc.. I'm sure you all know the drill :)

Am I correct in assuming the latest and greatest GL port is GZdoom? I'm wanting all the eye candy, models, lighting, flares, hi-res, etc to play the standard Doom, DoomII, and maybe hexen game wads.

A few years ago I played in gldoom i think, it had at least a texture pack and a md2 model pack if I remember right. I've found the hi res texture pack for gzdoom, but is there a full model pack to replace all the actors, pickups, items, etc? Can I get a pointer to where it's at? (url or something meaningful to google)

If there isn't a model pack for gzdoom is there a gl port that does have a full model pack and hi-res textures?

Thanks a lot.
-path0s

Doomsday.

Doomsday.

GZDoom is mainly ZDoom plus hardware rendering and a few benefits. It doesn't come by default with GL eyecandy. Doomsday comes and looks quite good. Somewhere over the internet there are also high texture and model packs for Heretic and Doom. Normally they're supposed to be at the site I linked to, but because it has moved recently, it has no obvious download link for addons. Click on the link on the right sidebar.

You may still like GZDoom if you want to play or make (G)ZDoom maps. Or if Doomsday happens to be unstable...

path0s said:

Risen3D (which is based on the Doomsday engine) is worth a look.

I have been unable to save my progress in any classic doom game, whether it be ultimate doom, doom 2, or final doom. I got the games off of the collectors edition disk. Whenever I try to save, the saving screen lags for a second before showing up. When I choose a save slot, it lags for a second before I can type my name in. While I'm typing, the letters lag for a seccond while I press the keys. When I press enter, the game unpauses as if the saving went through, but when I go to load my game, all of the slots are empty.

*I use the latest version of Windows XP.
*This has always been a problem on the system I am playing on.
*I have tried Windows 95 compatability mode.
*The game still functions properly, save for invisible stuff. If I look at my gun or a monster while they are invisible, the life bar shows up in the middle of the object.

I'm guessing something on your system, such as a security setting or an anti-virus app, is denying the game the chance to create the save game file. Some anti-virus apps keep lists of programs and what restrictions are to be applied to them. Maybe yours is not allowing programs to create files unless you tell it to let them, in general or case by case.

Assuming you're using Doom95, for the semi-invisible stuff, you can add -emulate after DOOM95.EXE in the target box of a shortcut to Doom95, and it will probably get rid of the visual glitch.

This has been the first real answer I got. Thank you.

I realize that anti virus programs vary, but how would I go about telling one that doom can save games?

As for the graphics fix, I don't know what the target field is. I just recently learned how to post questions, so I am not a computer wiz.

Thanks again

Can't say for sure about the anti-virus program, but if you manage to open the program or its settings window, it may well have a section where it lists what it allows known programs to do.

As for the shortcut, if you normally start the game from the system menu bar, right click the cacodemon icon there, which is a shortcut, go to the shortcut tab in the properties dialogue that opens and look for the target field. Written in there is a path (an address inside your computer) that ends with DOOM95.EXE. Put the cursor at the end of that, type space, add -emulate and hit the OK button.

Sorry, but it does not work for me. this is what it looks like when i attach -emulate to it:

"C:\Program Files\DOOM Collector's Edition\Ultimate Doom\Doom95.exe -emulate"

this came strait out of the target thing.

Yeah, put the -emulate outside of the quotation marks. The quotation marks are being used to read the whole path as one thing, because there are spaces in it, but the extra parameter is meant to be typed separately:

"C:\Program Files\DOOM Collector's Edition\Ultimate Doom\Doom95.exe" -emulate

I don't have administator on my computer, so it may take a little while to get back to you. Thank you for your help so far.

Administrator? This is starting to sound like an access rights problem. Do you have to login to Windows when it starts up?

What I did when I forgot my Windows password was run the system in safe mode, get into Admin account, and reset my password. You could also do that to give your main account administrator rights.

I do have to log in. I do not believe that that is the problem. Doom is allready installed on my computer and I can play it. I just can't save.

What you may be thinking of is that my only computer profile became non-administrator by accident. My dad does not trust that I can use the administrator thing right and that I will screw up the computer. Thats fine because if any of the steps I need to take towards fixing the problem involve the administrator, I will just bother him.
Speaking of which, he needs to know where the game would save its files if it worked properly. Does anybody know that?

It should save them to the directory it's working from:

C:\Program Files\DOOM Collector's Edition\Ultimate Doom\

Finaly! Every last problem is fixed. Not only can I save and the invisible monsters are, well, invisible, but my frame rate has improved greatly. Thank you.