Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

what the stupidest thing you did in doom?

Apart from the rocket in front of wall/invisible demon/lost soul self-kill, watching a pit, wow there must be a secret inside, falling down, lava pit, pressing around space, no elevator, no secret wall, dead end,.. wait what?

Stupiest thing i think was when i was like 6 years old and played Doom 2 for the first time and didn't know how to run :P Never go the red key :(
Never complited map02 ... erhmm..

on N64 Goldeneye (James bond) the first days i have it i also didn't how to complete map02

Think the number 02 is following me..

I accidentally saved in one slot for the whole game, and managed to somehow click save as the rocket was probably a pixel behind me. Too fast for me to go into God Mode to re-capture my save spot :(

Thus I had to restart completely from the beginning.

Chrispaks said:

I accidentally saved in one slot for the whole game, and managed to somehow click save as the rocket was probably a pixel behind me. Too fast for me to go into God Mode to re-capture my save spot :(

Thus I had to restart completely from the beginning.

Thus the stupidest thing you've done in Doom is not pistol-starting from where you left off :P

Creaphis said:

Thus the stupidest thing you've done in Doom is not pistol-starting from where you left off :P

It was one level :_(

I've just seen this month was stx-Vile's pacifist run of Dead Simple.

I have to say my face had quite a stupid look of amazement as I tried to comprehend how badass that jump just was.

Way back in 1997, modifying MAP08 (that one with the Mancubi on cubes) to include $MANY Cyberdemons and playing that with my friends in Coop.
We could watch ourselfs die.

I can still remember my stupidest/funniest thing on DooM.
I ran one slope down, i didnt saw there was a barrel, so shotgunguy shooted the barrel, and i died. And i didnt have saved the game.

Well, the funner was on HeXeN. You know that Hub 2, there was the teleport to the ice area so i ran so fast that i got squished by the exit.

The most stupid thing i ever did on doom is spending five minutes at least trying to figure out a way to open it... i went to all four corners of the map looking for a switch... i went back to the door to see if it had opened and then i asked for help from my mum who had never played... she found a swich immediately to the right of the door...

Another silly thing has in doom2 lvl8 tricks and traps i went to attack the 20 odd barons of hell and the cyberdemon with my fist...

:D

Bastet Furry said:
MAP08 (that one with the Mancubi on cubes)

No.

Another stupid thing I am being doing lot's of times:

- Wow, an invulnerability sphere. Should I take it?
- Maybe it's here for a reason. Maybe I should wait when all hell breaks loose and then take it.
- Or maybe exactly when I take it a trap will be triggered and all hell will break loose so it's the right way to go.
- What the hell, let's take it!
- Oh, nothing happened..
- I MUST TAKE ADVANTAGE!!!
- No, it's all white, I can't see where I have to go next, where are a lot of monsters to kill them with my chainsaw? Oh no, maybe there is a button here,..
- It turns to normal from white. I do an action. All hell breaks loose :P

Heh the invuln example is typical. The duration/number of these bonuses are seldom calibrated for the type of map at hand, especially in PWADs. In MAP01 it could last 2 minutes, on MAP02 it could last 30 seconds. Most usually you end up in between a hell that already broke loose, with the invuln lasting too little to be able to kill everything. Usually it barely buys enough time to find an escape, or allows you to use rockets at CQ.

I was fighting a couple Imps with a chaingun and I thought it would be cool if I shot the explosive cans they were near but I didn't realize I was near them too....damn Imps...

I have one to top everybody:

Tried to figure out how to use Risen3D. Entryway agrees with me.

Probably trying to make maps for the game. It made me feel silly since I felt like I had more problems ridding the few rooms I made of bugs than anything else. A lack of inspiration was another hinderance; I felt like I had good ideas for rooms, but they didn't fit well together and took me too long to make them look right. I gave it a try, but in the end, I doubt my contributions would have been missed. :P

As far as gameplay blunders go, I made a thread about that.

Chrispaks said:

It was one level :_(

Was it ZDoom, by any chance? Because then, wow. You would have restarted at the last saved game, and thus received rockets in your neck ad infinitum.

The stupidest thing I did was waiting until a couple years ago before participating in the community. For years, I thought nobody besides me still played DOOM, lol. I somehow managed to miss all the good WADs like Hell Revealed and Memento Mori, and thought all PWADs were crap in comparison to the IWADs. I was such an idiot.

Swec said:

Stupiest thing i think was when i was like 6 years old and played Doom 2 for the first time and didn't know how to run :P Never go the red key :(
Never complited map02 ... erhmm..

OMFG, same! But that was a while ago.

Nixot said:

bought the GBA version of Doom

then bought the GBA version of Doom 2

It sickens me that those cartridges got good reviews, with critics calling them "faithful" adaptions of DOOM.

Bullshit.