Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

SpeedMIDIing Session: Session over. Check page 4.

Seeing how the number of MIDI composers posting their works here has been steadily increasing, I will be hosting a speedMIDIing session starting tomorrow at 5:00AM GMT. The idea is to create a MIDI to the best of your ability in the space of 2 hours.

To allow more people to participate, this session will be held in 4 'rounds', which will be held at different times. The times are below, and are GMT.

Round 1 will start at 5:00AM GMT and end at 7:00APM GMT.
Round 2 will start at 10:00AM GMT and end at 12:00PM GMT.
Round 3 will start at 3:00PM GMT and end at 5:00PM GMT.
Round 4 will start at 8:00PM GMT and end at 10:00PM GMT.

The session is over. Entrants and entries are below:

Entrants:
TheGreenHerring
stewboy
TimeOfDeath
Creaphis
Revenant

Rules:

1. You may participate in one or more of these rounds, and you may create more than one MIDI per round.
  2. The MIDI must be made in the style which will be given in the post made by me as soon as the round commences. Have your midi editors open and ready for when that time comes, you have only 2 hours to create a good-sounding MIDI!
  3. MIDIs must be submitted before the round time is up.
  4. Name your MIDI when you submit it.
  5. Try to make your MIDI longer than 1:30.
  6. Please use SpeedyShare for uploading your submissions super-quick.
  7. Submissions that are NOT MIDI will NOT be accepted.
Received Entries:
(Round 1)
Rusty Bridge (Stewboy)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah (Creaphis)
Plumbford Scottsdale (TimeOfDeath)
Shoot the Guns Out of Their Hands (The Green Herring)
(Round 2)
Going Nowhere (Revenant)
(Round 3)
None.
(Round 4)
None.

All submissions will eventually be hosted permanently at my phenomer.net MIDI repository.

Let's go, people!

Fun idea! It wouldn't hurt to get other people involved in the judging, though (if there even needs to be judging).

For me, those sessions are at 4-6 am (ugh), 9-11 am (at a rehearsal) and 2-4 pm (I'll only be back home at 3). If the first session was ~4 hours sooner or the last session was 1 later I'd do it.

Guess that could help. I'd only need 3 or 4 judges, though - none of whom would particularly need any composition experience, but rather the ability to give honest critique.

Also, I can't really move the session times unless I get someone else (volunteers?) to announce the ones I won't be able to handle. If I do get someone with the time to do so, I will make these times discussable.

For me the sessions are 8PM-10PM (bit iffy), 1AM-3AM (sleep), and 6AM-8AM (sleep), so I won't be able to participate in any, unless the first session is, like Creaphis says, ~4 hours sooner. Actually, 5 hours would be better for me.

Alternatively, you could just give a theme and ask everyone to take 2 hours on it once they start. Or you could just get rid of the time limit at all - or make it 24 hours.

Edit: Got confused by the "starting tomorrow" and "in 12 hours", which for me are contradictory.

How about if I add an extra round, starting in 6 hours from now, going from 5:00AM-7:00AM GMT (that's 3PM-4PM for you, and 11PM-1AM for Creaphis)? I'll need someone to take care of announcing and closing it, though - I'll be asleep at those times.

I could do it. PM me the theme. I promise not to read it 'til later.

EDIT: Got it. Man, this is gonna be tempting.

No prob, TGH. :)

I'll next be updating the entrants' list at the start of Round 2. Please sign up and work on your submissions, and don't worry about not being in the list for now. Thanks. :)

Creaphis will be hosting Round 1.

Cool idea. I'll probably try a round as well. My song probably won't even last a minute - I make midis/songs with my guitar on my lap and then writing the tab in guitar pro while making the song.

I was planning to start it in one hour. It looks like there's a conflict in the info Jimmy posted. (5 AM GMT = 11 PM CST, not EST)

It probably makes sense to start at the later time just to make sure nobody misses it (though it might just be the two of us now, heh).

In that case, I'll need to leave early (about two-thirds of the way through.)
It's 5 AM GMT now, though.

Edit: I think that maybe using specific round times might be a bad idea - there are very few people who will participate in this, and they're scattered all around the world, so the chances are good that there'll only be one or two on at a time. Why not just make it 24 hours?

Nope, it's 4 am GMT atm.

True, this is a bit awkward, and considering the small number of "entrants" using the honor system might just be easiest. Despite that, I took the reins from Jimmy91 and we'll try it his way.

Let's start at 10:30 PM CST / 4:30 AM GMT / in half an hour

Oh. I thought I was +10 GMT earlier, but I forgot that we were on Daylight Savings, so I'm really +11.

ALRIGHT DUDES, or dude, if anybody's with me at all, HERE WE GO.

If you want to do this all official-like, then you're starting NOW, at 4:30 AM GMT, and posting a Speedyshare link to your creation before 6:30 AM GMT. Time zones are super complicated but that's essentially two hours.

The theme, of this session, is...

*crinkles envelope*

First, let me apologize for knowing what the theme is about thirty seconds before you do.

Also, I'm sorry there's no official IRC channel either (though we could just invade one to chat about this if there are any suggestions).

Now, the theme:

heavy metal

I was actually expecting something much more specific. This should be no problem. Have at it!

hehe, cool idea, but very difficult for me. Im working all weekend, 12 hour shifts. 12h shifts = sleeeeeeep and eat when not at work, nothing more. :(

I've got about a minute and a half so far. It might not be what you'd consider 'heavy metal' though. What do we do with our finished midi files?

Hey, I didn't know you were doing this now, TOD. Good to see this big a turnout.

Anyways, that's time.

I certainly could have used more, but I'm reasonably happy with what I came up with.

Creaphis said:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20796689/aaaaaaaaaah.mid

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

Paul Hiebert, aka Creaphis.

Enjoy.

I really like the guitar harmonies in the second half of this. If I had to make a criticism, it'd be the drum rhythm being kind of odd: I'm not sure if it's intentional, but if it's not, I'd advise taking a close listen to different types of drum beats in songs that you like and trying to imitate them to get a feel for what works, then using that knowledge when writing music yourself.

I'm going to feel really dumb if you already know this and just wanted it to sound that way.