Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Contorted_Extirpation

Help with changing music

I am completely clueless on how to do this. I wanted to make an mp3 file as the music,but I dont know where to start.

I do know that I need XWE, which I already have, but everytime I open it an error message comes up saying the following:

"Failed to create key Doom.wadfile\shell\editXWE."

The program then loads, and another error message comes up that says "List index out of bounds (0)"

-All help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Just XWE failing to write to the system part of the registry, which is enough to completly screw it over. Either run it as an admin or open up XWE.INI, find the line 'NOREGISTRY=0' and turn the zero to a one.

Either that or use SLumpEd. It does the job just as well

InsanityBringer said:

Just XWE failing to write to the system part of the registry, which is enough to completly screw it over. Either run it as an admin or open up XWE.INI, find the line 'NOREGISTRY=0' and turn the zero to a one.

Either that or use SLumpEd. It does the job just as well

Thanks. I changed "0" to "1" for the command you said and there are now no more errors. Im still confused on how to use the program though.

Import the mp3 file into the wad with XWE (or SlumpEd, but I'm not experienced with that). Then, create a new lump called MAPINFO, and put stuff in there.
Eg:
map map01 "Enteryway!"
music "LumpnameOfTheMusic"
whatever else you want to put in

Oh, and make sure both lumps (music and MAPINFO) aren't in between map-specific lumps - just put them at the start or the end of the wad.

Contorted_Extirpation said:

I dont know what you mean. (Im very dumbfounded with all the technical parts of editing). Im using "Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) format.

What I meant was is XWE configured with the doom2.wad (Or DOOM.wad, etc.) as it's main .wad file.

Did you accidentally delete an important lump for a map? Did you accidentally put another lump in between the map lumps?
Check to see if you have any backups (I don't know if XWE has this turned on by default, but check anyway.)

stewboy said:

Did you accidentally delete an important lump for a map? Did you accidentally put another lump in between the map lumps?
Check to see if you have any backups (I don't know if XWE has this turned on by default, but check anyway.)

I am simply using XWE incorrectly, because I dont know anything about "lumps". I do know that my lumps are all in order, starting with the map, the map-specific lumps, then the music file im using, and then the MAPINFO file, which I typed this in:

map MAP01
music REQUIEM

Im not sure what im doing wrong

stewboy said:

Import the mp3 file into the wad with XWE (or SlumpEd, but I'm not experienced with that). Then, create a new lump called MAPINFO, and put stuff in there.
Eg:
map map01 "Enteryway!"
music "LumpnameOfTheMusic"
whatever else you want to put in

Oh, and make sure both lumps (music and MAPINFO) aren't in between map-specific lumps - just put them at the start or the end of the wad.

awesome. it works now. I have it working fine, hope I can get used to this

Contorted_Extirpation said:

I am simply using XWE incorrectly, because I dont know anything about "lumps". I do know that my lumps are all in order, starting with the map, the map-specific lumps, then the music file im using, and then the MAPINFO file, which I typed this in:

map MAP01
music REQUIEM

Im not sure what im doing wrong

What you're doing wrong here is that the "map" keyword expects two arguments, not one. So "music" gets interpreted as the second.

It's map <lumpname> "<Map Name>", so for example map MAP01 "Entryway", as you've done after.

You should read a bit about lumps. It's required knowledge for Doom editing. I recommend starting here.

Thanks Gez youre a star

Actually Ive got some new music working nicely using the mapinfo file - its just an MP3 of birdsong...

Problem is my sky1 has now disappeared: its there in the wad but its gone from the game...

any thoughts?

MAPINFO map declarations are not cumulative, so you have to specify the sky as well.

Here are two examples of a full map declaration for a map 1 named "Entryway" and using the REQUIEM music lump:

Old syntax:

map MAP01 "Entryway"
next "MAP02"
secretnext "MAP02"
sky1 "SKY1"
cluster 5
par 30
music "REQUIEM"
New syntax:
map MAP01 "Entryway"
{
	next = "MAP02"