Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
m0pt0pmatt

Instant attack!

i think i've fidured it our. noisealert() will make my monsters attack the players if I can asign a TID to the players. how do i do that?

ok, thats works for zdoom, but it wont work on zdaemon, which is kinda the point of my wad. does anyone know if noisealert isn't in zdaemon? or is it have to do with difference in the player? or does that enter thing not exist in zdaemon?

Are you making a single player or multiplayer map? ZDaemon is geared mainly for multiplayer and because whatever vertion of it you are using might be because it is using the old ZDoom codebase*. *[citation needed]

multiplayer purposes

ok, let me explain...

The players work together to the waves of zombies :P
The zombies spawn under green sludge, so they cant see the player.

Thats why I need the zombies to be able to instanly be alerted. This works in ZDoom, but ZDaemon has an old version of ACS or something.

If anybody has a copy of the doom builder zdaemon config file, that would be extremly helpful.

m0pt0pmatt said:

uh, multiplayer purposes. otherwise I wouldn't be using ZDaemon now would I?

You won't get anywhere with an attitude like that mister

Could you post the wad?

Maybe you could give the teleport destinations z-height so that they teleport in the air and then fall into the sludge, so they'll see the players while they fall.

Or maybe you could do something else, but it would help if you posted the wad.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Thing_Hate() seems like a good call in this scenario. Mode 4 should work.

I tried Thing_Hate but there was a problem in ZDaemon. The monsters wouldn't chase me unless they heard me shoot, but after I spawned more monsters they started chasing me immediately (I didn't have to shoot first). So, I'm guessing the teleporter destinations have to hear you shoot before the monsters that are spawned will chase you?

Maybe you could start each player in a 64x64 room or something - and make the walls of each room a shootable teleporter that sends you to the start of the map - and attach a small sector to each of the rooms where monsters spawn and join those sectors with the small 64x64 sectors the players start in, so that all of the teleporter destinations will hear shots whenever the players shoot the wall to teleport out. ?????

You could possibly use Thing_SetGoal (tid, goal, delay) to make the spawned monsters move at the place where the players are using PatrolPoints. ('Path Nodes' in doombuilder)

Note that ZDaemon doesnt support the fourth argument: dontchasetarget of Thing_SetGoal. (Though you probably wouldn't use that here anyways)

TimeOfDeath said:

I tried Thing_Hate but there was a problem in ZDaemon. The monsters wouldn't chase me unless they heard me shoot, but after I spawned more monsters they started chasing me immediately (I didn't have to shoot first). So, I'm guessing the teleporter destinations have to hear you shoot before the monsters that are spawned will chase you?

I don't know about other ports, but at least Boom and ZDoom handle monsters waking up with player noise differently: In Boom, if an idle non-deaf monster teleports to an area where you have shot before, it will immediately wake up and start chasing you. However in ZDoom the monster has to either see you or hear you shooting to wake up. Maybe ZDaemon is using the Boom mechanic? In this case the original issue would be moot as long as you force the player to shoot before any monsters are spawned, so that their target sectors are "awaken."

(and if you want to make the wad work in ZDoom as well, you could add the noise-script as an compatibility option)

I see what you mean with boom/zdoom difference. It seems like ZDaemon uses the boom way and I assume ZDoom changed it so that newly spawned monsters don't rely on whether the teleport destination they are spawned on has been awaken or not?

Thing_Hate works fine in newer ZDoom but in ZDaemon you have to "awake" the teleport destinations that the monsters are spawned on before they actually start chasing you (in ZDoom they start chasing you immediately whether you shoot or not).

Here's a test wad with thing_hate that will work with ZDaemon: thinghate.wad

Shooting the switch changes the script activator(player)'s TID to 999, teleports you in the map, and wakes up the teleporter destination that the monsters will spawn on. Pressing the switch spawns a zombieman and thing_hates him against things with TID 999 (players). I don't know if it works online though.

I haven't tried Thing_SetGoal either but maybe you won't have to do the teleporting player stuff.

EDIT: uhhh, considering what Jodwin and I wrote, I don't think thing_hate works in ZDaemon at all. lol

thanks for all the help guys :)

I put a switch in the starting room, that has to be shot to open the doors, and also starts my script that makes the zombies spawn. The player alerts himself, and Thing_Hate works.

thanks again.