Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kagemaru_H

E3M2 is NOT Leather Rebel!

Okay, so I was messing around further with MIDI programs, loaded one of the unused Doom MIDIs into a program, and after hearing the similarity to E3M2, I decided to load it into Timidity to see what it was. It was "Outshined" by Soundgarden. I have both E3M2 MIDI and the Unused MIDI pack. I'll upload a ZIP with the MIDIs in them as proof!

Apart from the fact it sounds nothing like it, it's a known fact that Romero gave Bobby Prince a bunch of old metal they listened to which included Judas Priest and said "put these into Doom". Bobby was a lawyer before he was a musician, so he claims he knew how much of a riff he could "get away with" stealing without getting in trouble.

It's more likely that Rob Halford and Priest left an impression on a younger Chris Cornell, and you're seeing the result of that in Soundgarden's work. Chris cites Dio as one of his main influences, so it's likely he listened to other early-era heavy metal like Judas Priest too.

tl;dr it's Leather Rebel.

And for comparison:

I think it's pretty clear it's much closer to JP's LR than to SG's OS.

A while ago, I went through the songs that Doom's music is supposedly based on and looked up the albums that each song appears on, in an attempt to reconstruct "John Romero's music collection, c. 1993" - ie. what was in that collection of CDs that he gave Bobby Prince. I got some pretty good results but I think the list was on the SSD in my laptop that died and I lost it before I copied or posted it anywhere.

I dunno why but I just can't hear Leather Rebel in E3M2. All the other ones, like No Remorse in E1M1 of Doom and Them Bones in Map23 of Doom II, I can place but not E3M2.

The notes are similiar, but Leather Rebel is played a lot faster and makes use of this so called "shredding" technique, if I am not wrong. But if you have a little imagination you can hear the same notes that are used in E3M2. It also took me some seconds to recognize it, but after I did, I could hear Leather Rebel in E3M2 clearly. Even if I think that those similiarities are just coincidence. (=

Wasn't Kagemaru_H talking about those half-assed Doom midis that did NOT make it in Doom? Those given away by John Romero or Carmack sometime recently, I don't remember who.

I'm pretty certain there was an unreleased Doom midi that Romero posted up on his site (in addition to a whole bunch of other midis) last year that was based on Soundgarden - Outshined.

The reason I say this is because I don't listen to soundgarden at all but that song sounds reeeeeally familiar and I'm pretty sure the last time I heard that was in midi format.

EDIT: wait I didnt read the opening post fully OR printz's post. What does this have to do with E3M2 though? That's what threw me off.

I personally can't hear either, maybe kind of Leather Rebel, but nothing too substantial. I mean, Map 23 was a complete and utter remake of Them Bones, this is the complete opposite. You have to have imagination to get this one.

Does it say anywhere that ALL Doom music is based off of a certain song? Or are there "original" Doom midi's?

Ninjalah said:

Does it say anywhere that ALL Doom music is based off of a certain song? Or are there "original" Doom midi's?

It's a mix of songs with features from popular rock tunes, and Bobby Prince's original compositions.

I always thought E3M2's "Donna to the Rescue" was based on "Body Count's in the House"...or the beginning of it anyway. Although it's a simple riff and could just be a coincidence, it sounds almost identical. It's even in the same key and the tempo is very close.

It would've been fairly recent at the time, but is definitely possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GAXzWf5ag

However, the unused E3M2 that was in the midi pack Romero uploaded is indeed clearly based on "Outshined".

Here's the link to said unreleased midis:
http://planetromero.com/rome.ro/media/doom_unreleased_music.zip

It's not that I don't like metal, but the best thing that ever happened to Doom's soundtrack is the realization that it shouldn't all be metal.

Creaphis said:

It's not that I don't like metal, but the best thing that ever happened to Doom's soundtrack is the realization that it shouldn't all be metal.

Quoted for truth.