Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

A Russian potato farmer uses landmines to protect his farm

I lol'd.

A Russian potato farmer sick of getting robbed dealt with the issue by constructing landmines in his garage and planting them around his farm. He was then arrested once a thief stepped into one of his mines.

Source: http://worldnews.asseenonmadness.com/2010/02/12/get-off-my-land-farmer-plants-landmines-to-ward-off-thieves/

Lets hope people won't attempt this anywhere else......

It's logical really. Using the code of "eye for an eye," the landmine seems to correct choice for deterrence. While at first glance it may seem overkill, potatoes have many eyes.

*rimshot*

I'll be here all night.

Shaikoten said:

It's logical really. Using the code of "eye for an eye," the landmine seems to correct choice for deterrence. While at first glance it may seem overkill, potatoes have many eyes.

*rimshot*

I'll be here all night.

I don't really know what that means......

Oh! And stealing potatoes is not such a terrible crime that it makes you deserve begin blown up!

Guy tries to steal something, gets blown up by the dude he wanted to rob. Seems like fair game, to me.

Phml said:

Guy tries to steal something, gets blown up by the dude he wanted to rob. Seems like fair game, to me.

Well perhaps if your a redneck living in the south......

But I am reasonably certain that no civilized (or just sane) country in the world today would deem it acceptable to allow its people to plant landmines around its property for protection.

EDIT: Not to mention that potatoes aren't exactly worth killing for.

Imagine being a poor farmer working hard all day to feed your family. Then some idiot comes along and steals your main food source.
I am not saying it is OK to plant land mines to protect yourself from thieves, but I can understand the man's frustration.

The thief should consider himself lucky that building homemade landmines is illegal so other farmers won't have deadly security (although some dogs could be considered lethal ...). In some ways the illegality of making home made weapons cuts down on the lethal force aspect of thieving, since the thief doesn't need to get into a shoot-out to steal.

You also have to think how SMALL the farmers land is that with only 3 land mines, the thief not only managed to trip one, but got injured by it (note it doesn't say how bad - probably just some bad scratches). Add in the farmer is 73 and would likely have retired if possible, then he obviously depends on those potatoes.

Shaikoten said:

While at first glance it may seem overkill, potatoes have many eyes.

Perhaps even underkill! Seeing as each eye is able to promote the growth of a new potato plant, the thief may in actuality be convicted of murder, as well as inhumanity - or the equivalent thereof - as he consumes the unborn victim(s) along with the parent potato, after continuous torture by means of boiling, mashing and baking at extreme temperatures (or at the very least peeling them away into the kitchen sink).

Any sustained injury from the miscreant, be it a severed limb or indeed both eyes, is insufficient in respect of this observation. Only death is ample. While we might argue that the life of a potato cannot compare to that of a human being, ask yourself this question:
The very fat man weighing down the life raft? or his equal weight in Labrador puppies?

On a more serious note:

Graf Zahl said:

The guy should consider himself lucky that nobody died by his stupid actions.

Quite right! However, I shouldn't imagine that such an occurrence would stir the dispositions of a man of his age, or get him to question his actions on the same level as, for instance, a 35 or 40 year old. On the contrary however, he might question his actions even more... I couldn't say. I'm only 19.

hardcore_gamer said:

He was then arrested once a thief stepped into one of his mines.

Not just Britain then. If it had happened here he would be banged up but the tabloids would be calling for his release because he was "backed into a corner" and "justified at lashing out".

Wouldn't happen in the USA, of course. There he'd get on TV!

hardcore_gamer said:

But I am reasonably certain that no civilized (or just sane) country in the world today would deem it acceptable to allow its people to plant landmines around its property for protection.

EDIT: Not to mention that potatoes aren't exactly worth killing for.

What about high voltage electric fences?

Also, if you don't think potatoes are worth killing for, you've clearly never had them prepared right

Guess what they use to make vodka! Yeah, they're worth it to Russians. :D

I'm on this guy's side. I honestly don't understand why booby trapping properties (with appropriate signage) isn't legal. Texas got this right by giving people the right to shoot home invaders.

Aliotroph? said:

I honestly don't understand why booby trapping properties (with appropriate signage) isn't legal.

Because if it were then it would be pretty much bound to result in horror?

And a signage? Is this a fucking joke? If someone where to plant a large sign into his yard that says "Warning! Landmines!" then there would be 99.9% odds that I (as well as pretty much everybody else) would simply dismiss it as a joke and not even consider the possibility that there are actually landmines located on his yard.

And what about the kids who are just fooling around or people who can't read the sign for whatever reason? When you are holding a gun or a weapon you control who does and doesn't get hurt, but with booby traps you have zero control over the damage done and all you can do is hoping that someone wont step in/on it by mistake.

EDIT: Also, if you plant a large warning sign into the ground then doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a booby trap? If you already know its there then the thief can simply avoid it without getting himself harmed.

hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: Also, if you plant a large warning sign into the ground then doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a booby trap? If you already know its there then the thief can simply avoid it without getting himself harmed.

That's not necessarily true. Just because you know you are stepping into a minefield doesn't mean you know where the mines are. I believe warnings are even posted on real minefields, not to warn potential enemies, but rather to warn your allies. It's like you said, mines are indiscriminate, so it pays to warn you and your allies so that accidents don't happen.

Mines are already extremely retarded in war. Imagine buying some farmland and one day inadvertently blowing your legs off as you walk on a mine some other farmer planted.

"Plant vegetables, not bombs!"

Graf Zahl said:

The thief should consider himself lucky he didn't die by his stupid actions.

FTFY

I'm siding with the farmer. If I had to live on a Russian pension I wouldn't look kindly on thieves stealing my food.

hardcore_gamer said:

Also, if you plant a large warning sign into the ground then doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a booby trap? If you already know its there then the thief can simply avoid it without getting himself harmed.

A warning sign is no more than common courtesy. If I plant a "WARNING! SNAKES!" sign in my back yard I'd expect anyone who choose to ignore it to accept responsibility for the consequences. Besides, the torn-up patch of ground that is a typical vegetable patch would make an ideal hiding place for landmines.