Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omega_supreme

Looking for Doom Shareware by GT interactive and Doom collectors Edition

Hi all,

I am looking for a few Doom items for my collection that I find difficult to locate. The first and most important is the ShareWare release from GT Interactive. There are two releases from them, one in a box sized the same as the other retail Doom stuff (Ultimate Doom/ Doom II/ Master levels etc.) and one in a smaller box that is typical for GT shareware releases (Heretic and Blood use the same box size for example). I am looking for the small box. The second picture included below shows exactly what I am after.

The first picture shows a second item I am looking for. This is the collectors edition from 2001. It is a big box and only contains the classic Doom games. I know there is also a release from 2004 that contains Doom 3 preview content in a smaller box, but that is not what I need. It must be the big box.

The last pictured item is Wolf3D that includes the Doom shareware bonus from GT again. If anyone has this sealed in mint condition (as pictured) then I would be interested as well.

Since I am a collector I am looking for this stuff in good condition. The pictures show the items in a condition I find good. I know these are hard to find but maybe somebody here has one or two of them and is willing to part with them for a collectors price. For the GT shareware in perfect condition I might even consider trading some of my own precious Doom stuff. I have not seen it for sale once in the past year. I let one go in the past because I though I would find an even better one and that was just dumb. So if anyone here has any of these items please let me know.

I have the large box Gt shareware version. Can't give it up though. I got it years back it has shrink wrap on it but it just slides off. I have no idea if its the original shrink wrap. Since it seemed old and brittle as hell I didn't question it (I got it in a cheap lot anyway..). I didn't know it came in a smaller version though.

The 2001 Collector's Edition pops up on ebay every now and then so I would just search ebay like its your job. (That's how I've been filling holes in my collection.) But I've honestly not seen the Gt shareware box pop in a very very long time.

I only have one copy of the Gt shareware and 2001 Collector's edition.. so I really can't part with them. I do have doubles of some other stuff so if there's anything else you might possibly want let me know.

I already have the bigger GT box myself, so no need to give that up. I have read some earlier collections posts here that included the small GT package. I hope one of those people will show up eventually.

The original shrink wrap from GT was a tight one by the way. I'm not sure is that changes when the wrap is opened. My plastic (unopenend) is not brittle at all.

The collectors edition is not as common as you might think. The newer (smaller) box shows up every now and than (one a month?) but I only encountered one bog box on ebay in the past year. Unfortunately I really couldn't convince the seller to ship outside the US. It's really frustrating that people do not ship worldwide by default. I miss out on so much nice stuff because of this.

Of course there is other stuff I am looking for but since my collection is already quite extensive only the really rare/uncommon stuff remains. See below a list of stuff I am still looking for and want really bad.

- Registered Doom 1.9 (US mailorder release)
- Doom II screensaver CD-ROM UK
- Doom II screensaver CD-ROM US
- The classic Doom shirt (ID logo on back)
- The Doom II shirt

and probably some more stuff that I'm not yet aware of. The registered Doom 1.9 seems to be a really hard-to-find one. One of the most elusive Doom items I know of.

I have that Collector's Edition right there. Sadly, It was a very damaged disc and jewel case inside, its a wonder the disc still works. Not like I use it for anything but getting the IWADs back if they ever get ruined somehow, but you know. Greatest $20 I ever spent on a game, when you look back at how long and how often I've played Doom over the years.

It annoyed me to no end when they rereleased the Collector's Edition with Doom 3 collectables.

I do have two copies of the Screen Saver, one sealed and one open. There is one on ebay that's sealed and is being sold from someone Japan who ships worldwide. It's been floating around for a while and he's asking only a couple bucks + 7 for shipping (USD). I also don't think I've ever seen the smaller version of the GT shareware..

The only registered Doom I have managed to get is version 1.2. I search ebay pretty religiously and I think they maybe show up twice a year. I still haven't decided if I want to spend the money to get every version. Apparently there's also a special 5 and 1/4 inch floppy version of registered Doom that exists, if you've seen that post here. I've never seen it anywhere but from that post.

Is your screensaver the CD-ROM version or 3.5"? I often see the 3.5" floppy version but never the CD. I'm starting to doubt if it even exists but I can remember one auction that had the UK release in CD format so it must be out there. I have a copy from the Japanese seller already, recently arrived and I am really happy with it. It is also 3.5" though.

The registered Doom is what I am most crazy about. I have a whole stack of them in many different flavors. I have multiple copies of versions 1.1 to 1.666, just 1.9 is missing. I do have 1.9 but only the CD and sleeve. I have been negotiating with someone for the 1.9 version but it has been a while since I heard anything from him. I search ebay and other places all the time. At least twice a day. Registered Doom shows up more often that generally believed. I have bought at least 4 copies in the past year myself and I let even more pass.

Oh and the 5 1/4 release was actually my own post ;) That is my most prized Doom possession. It is a version 1.2.

omega_supreme said:

I often see the 3.5" floppy version but never the CD. I'm starting to doubt if it even exists but I can remember one auction that had the UK release in CD format so it must be out there.

It exists, though I've seen few on eBay since securing mine a couple of years ago.

(540x700 - 139k)

I bought the screensaver in the UK when it was a current product. It is the CD version. :)

I remember last year when I tried to buy the Doom Collectors Edition on Ebay, I was outbidded like 11 or 12 times before finally winning.