Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ninjalah

Skulltag98a 404'ed?

I recently got my computer back up and running again, and transferred all of my doom stuff from my mom's comp to mine. When I did, I forgot Skulltag is a thing you have to install, and I didn't transfer the right folders. So I wiped all of the Skulltag stuff, and was going to start anew when this happened.

Did it get taken down? I was gonna download the beta, but it says you need the Skulltag files/.wad for it to work, and I need to re-download Skulltag again. Is it just me?

Hey hey, what do you know? What the hell is the point of that empty shell of a website anyways? And if it's run by the same guy, why doesn't he have a link or redirect people going to that site?

Ninjalah said:

Hey hey, what do you know? What the hell is the point of that empty shell of a website anyways? And if it's run by the same guy, why doesn't he have a link or redirect people going to that site?

The explanation is simple: drama drama drama

Gez said:

The explanation is simple: drama drama drama

So who controls skulltag.com? Three repetitions of the same word is still confusing to a dumbass like me. :D

Ninjalah said:

So who controls skulltag.com? Three repetitions of the same word is still confusing to a dumbass like me. :D

Read the comments of this rather terse news post if you really want to know. Gez sums it up nicely, though.

david_a said:

Read the comments of this rather terse news post if you really want to know. Gez sums it up nicely, though.

Terrible. Whatever, as long as I have Skulltag I could give a rat's ass who runs the site. I haven't been on there more than 3 times anyways :D.

Ninjalah said:

There is a redirect on the front page. Not a very good one, but it's there.

From the point of view of someone who saw the whole thing unfold at a distance, a server move took place that Carnevil took the wrong way, and it ended up dredging up underlying previously unspoken issues between Carnevil and the current administration team. The split was unamicable, and results in the confusion you just ran into.

Right now, doing a Google search for "Skulltag" doesn't show the correct result for Skulltag's front page at all on the first page, the closest thing being a link to the new forums as the fifth result. The first result has an inconspicuous redirect with a tirade against the current administration, and the second result is the non-working download page which you managed to get to. Presumably, this is Carnevil's idea of "getting back" at the current administration, and shows where his true loyalties lie.

AlexMax said:

Presumably, this is Carnevil's idea of "getting back" at the current administration, and shows where his true loyalties lie.

Correct, but I still have plenty of links to skulltag.net on that site. In fact, I actually link to its new home before linking to my "tirade". I have nothing against the port itself (contrary to popular belief, I still love my port and want it to do well - even if I'm not at the helm) or the community, so I'm not trying to do anything to derail that/them. I think most everyone who comes to skulltag.com is able to find their way to .net, as evidenced by Ninjalah and countless others.

Ninjalah said:

There's only two repetitions. :p

Carnevil said:

Correct, but I still have plenty of links to skulltag.net on that site. In fact, I actually link to its new home before linking to my "tirade". I have nothing against the port itself (contrary to popular belief, I still love my port and want it to do well - even if I'm not at the helm) or the community, so I'm not trying to do anything to derail that/them. I think most everyone who comes to skulltag.com is able to find their way to .net, as evidenced by Ninjalah and countless others.

As I pointed out earlier, your (defective) download page is still accessible from Google...the #2 result even. You might be redirecting, but without disabling/301-ing the pieces of your site that don't actually work it's not really going to matter since google already "knows" about the defective pages.

It is very annoying to click skulltag forum links from google. You're greeted with "Vega has been canceled. It's been fun guys. Waah." Then it's time to mumble "I neither know nor care what that feces fondue is" as one manually changes .com to .net. But there's nothing that can be done about it.

And with such an attitude, you can be sure that the one who could do something about it is really going to be motivated to please you.