Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cjwright79

Changing skies, textures

I really like the sky from episode one of Doom, and would like to import it into a Doom2 wad. Where might I find instructions for doing this? Thank you.

~Chris

Use XWE, SLumpEd or DeepSea to export SKY1 from Doom.wad and import that file into a wad of yours as the lump RSKY1.

Goddamit it I somehow cut sky1 in half and ruined my Doom.wad But the process otherwise worked, so thanks -- time to find a new wad...

XWE makes backups for every change. Locate the Doom.wad.bak.1 (or how it's called), check if it's from '95 or whatever, and replace it back with Doom.wad.

You'll have to deal with this problem often if you use XWE, even if you don't delete files by mistake. I'd suggest try SLumpEd instead, from now on.

Those are textures - as you probably have noticed, textures are archived in a TEXTURE1 index (and a TEXTURE2 for Doom and Heretic, because they use TEXTURE1 for E1 shareware assets and TEXTURE2 for graphics only used in the full game - as a quick way to split the WAD for shareware distribution). These textures are composed of numerous separate graphics called patches.

I've actually never used XWE, and like printz, suggest SLumpEd. You're going to have to open up DOOM.WAD and find those textures, and take a look at which patches are used by them. I'm assuming DOOM2.WAD doesn't have all of them, so you're going to have to export those patches and then import them into your own WAD.

For some reason SLumpED doesn't seem to let me simply import these patches on their own, so I go Lump > New in order to create the new entries, then right click on the new lumps and then import on top of them. The imported graphics should appear as "Graphic" under "Type". To make them official patches after you import them, right click on them and select "Add to PNAMES", which is the listing of all the patches.

Afterwards, make a TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2 archive in your PWAD and start resassembling them. Sorry if I haven't gone into close enough detail, if you need more help, let me know. As a heads up, I myself have only added custom assets to a couple WADs, so there's probably a more efficient method which a veteran modder will scold me for not mentioning. :P

I will assume you are using SLumpEd. I will only explain the procedure for PLANET1, but it is similar for any other multi patch texture.

• Open "doom.wad".
  • Locate the TEXTURE1 lump and highight it.
  • On the left side of the Lump Content box is a list of all textures inside the TEXTURE1 lump. Locate the PLANET1 texture.
  • The texture is shown in the middle of the window. In the lower right corner is the Patches box. It contains a list of patches, that build this texture, with their X and Y position.
  • Write down the size of the texture, all the patches and their X and Y position in the correct order.
Patches with corresponding X and Y position in PLANET1 (256 x 128):
AG128_1  | X Pos:   0 | Y Pos:   0
TSCRN2   | X Pos:   4 | Y Pos:  69
AG128_1  | X Pos:  64 | Y Pos:   0
TSCRN3   | X Pos:  68 | Y Pos:  69
AG128_1  | X Pos: 128 | Y Pos:   0
TSCRN4   | X Pos: 132 | Y Pos:  69
TSCRN5   | X Pos:  68 | Y Pos:   7
TSCRN6   | X Pos:   4 | Y Pos:   7
TSCRN8   | X Pos: 132 | Y Pos:   7
AG128_1  | X Pos: 192 | Y Pos:   0
Now you will have to copy the following patches TSCRN2, TSCRN3, TSCRN4, TSCRN5, TSCRN6 and TSCRN8, and paste them in your PWAD. You do not need to export AG128_1, because it is already included in Doom 2 IWAD.
  • Select all the patches you want to copy. Click on TSCRN2 and shift click on TSCRN8.
  • Press Ctrl-C, or choose Copy in the Lump menu, or click the copy icon.
  • Open your PWAD.
  • Create the PP_START marker. In the Lump menu select New and write PP_START in the text box.
  • Press Ctrl-V, or choose Paste in the Lump menu, or click the paste icon.
  • Select the last patch.
  • Create the PP_END marker. In the Lump menu select New and write PP_END in the text box.
  • Make sure all patches are between the PP_START and PP_END markers.
  • Right click on each of the patches and choose Add To PNAMES.
  • Open "doom2.wad".
  • Locate TEXTURE1 and copy it.
  • Paste it in your PWAD.
Your lumps should now look something like this:
PP_START
TSCRN2
TSCRN3
TSCRN4
TSCRN5
TSCRN6
TSCRN8
PP_END
PNAMES
TEXTURE1
Now we can create the PLANET1 texture.
  • Select the TEXTURE1 lump.
  • In the Lump Contents box under the Textures list press the New Texture button.
  • Enter PLANET1 in the text box.
  • Set the size of the texture to 256 wide and 128 high. Do not change the scale.
  • On the right side is a PNames list.
  • Select AG128_1 in the list.
  • Press the Add Patch button below.
  • Select AG128_1 in the Patches box.
  • Set its X Pos to 0 and Y Pos to 0.
  • Select TSCRN2 in the list.
  • Press the Add Patch button below.
  • Select TSCRN2 in the Patches box. Use the arrows to move up or down in the list.
  • Set its X Pos to 4 and Y Pos to 69.
  • Repeat for every patch you need to add.
  • Save all changes.
This is it.