How Well Does GZdoom Run on a Mac Mini?

I have just bought a Mac Mini online with the following specs:

Mac mini G4 1.42Ghz
1 GB RAM
Radeon 9200 32MB VRAM
80GB HDD
DVD-ROM/CD-RW Super Drive
Airport (Wi-fi/Bluetooth)

Does anyone know how well this would run GZDooM? I've had a wee look around but couldn't find any minimum specs required. Thanks, P :)

I do believe that ZDoom and variants are only compatible with Intel Macs. There are source ports compatible with macs with the older PowerPC processors, but none really spring to mind right now.

There has been no active attempt yet to get GZDoom to work on Macs yet.

But even if you managed to get it to work, 32MB video RAM is barely sufficient to run the engines with undemanding mods in 640x480.

If you want more it'll quickly run out of memory for all the textures that are needed.

DuCT said:

I do believe that ZDoom and variants are only compatible with Intel Macs.

No, both Intel processors and PowerPC are supported. Blzut created universal binaries for ZDoom-Mac, which you can get here. You just need to have an up-to-date version of Mac OS X.

However, it's ZDoom. There are no GZDoom builds for the Mac available. The largest issue consist in writing OpenGL initialization code for OS X, as the Linux/Unix code doesn't work for this platform and cannot be reused (and the Windows code, even less, of course). So even if you were to successfully obtain a Mac binary of GZDoom, you would have to use the software renderer anyway.

The biggest reason I was asking about GZDooM was that I was playing The Ultimate Torment and Torture wad by Tormentor on my Windoze machine which requires GZDooM to run. However, it seems to run fine in software mode. The GZDooM requirement seems to be to do with enhancements that zDooM doesn't have. Has that changed?

If I have to play in a software mode that's fine. It's just that I'd like to play UTNT and such. Thanks anyway. :)

PFL said:

The GZDooM requirement seems to be to do with enhancements that zDooM doesn't have. Has that changed?

If you play it with ZDoom, you will need to cheat in some places. There are some 3D floor bridges that are not just cosmetic; without GZDoom the only option is to use the fly console code...

Gez said:

No, both Intel processors and PowerPC are supported. Blzut created universal binaries for ZDoom-Mac, which you can get here. You just need to have an up-to-date version of Mac OS X.

Oh, I didn't know that, guess you really do learn something new every day.