Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DaJuice

Crosshairs: floating or rigid?

Ok, most FPS games have the guns fixed in one position on screen, and thus have the crosshair square in the middle. But if any of you have played Golden Eye or Perfect Dark on N64, the guns sway in the direction your turning and also change the line of fire depending on your movement. I think it would be nice if id would at least include this as some kind of option, it looks a lot nicer and plays a bit smoother IMHO.

I hate crosshairs, that's why I dislike the floating version. A bright pixel fixed in the middle of the screen is all I need.

What I definetly dislike are auto-aim crosshairs than hop all over the screen, chasing the enemies for you. Crosshairs should stay in the center of the screen no matter what, and they should be fairly small. A game like RTCW where the crosshair gets huge as you push down the fire button is just stupid.

A little blended cross, or no crosshair at all, would be preferable.

You DO know that you can turn off the crosshair in RtCW?
Anyway, I agree that the best type of "crosshair" would be the dot - preferably red.

But I might not mind the swaying aim, but then again, it *could* turn out to be annoying as Hell.

Rigid crosshair. It's hard to aim with the crosshair floating all over the screen, IMO.

I like the “floating” aiming concept. Maybe not for all weapons, but things like a sniper rifle, yet I never played N64, so how would the controls work? Is there than one set of controls for the body (head) movement and one for the aiming (arms, hand)??

I'd like to see a rigid crosshair with those nifty accuracy marks, only that you can modify the "dispersion cone" height with values like 1 m, 10 m, 25 m, 100 m, etc...

This way you get informative crosshairs without making them take too much fucking space onscreen. Just set it to one meter or something equally useless and that's it.

if there's a "disable crosshair" option, then i'd be going straight for that.

crosshair are for pansies.

i second that,no crosshair except zooming on for some certain weapons.

A lot of people will still want crosshairs, but how about adding a Flashpoint-style weapon mode? Using the ironsights for conventional weapons, and the equivalent of an ironsight for the more futuristic weapons.

I say crosshairs are a good thing. It's not like you can use the gun to line up your target, so you need some way to aim.

Back in the day, the guns used to be centered in FPSs, so it was far easier to aim without a crosshair.
The best type of crosshair in the new Doom game would imo be a red dot caused by a red lighting source, so that it looks like it was made by an infrared scope on the gun - not too obtrusive and would look cool.

Crosshairs suck... I agree... yeah...

Are you sure?... Can you aim like that?...

Heh, well I don't use Crosshairs in Doom or anything, but in all the newer FPS' I set it to 'dot'.

I just tried playing the first level of RtCW without a crosshair. Yep there's a "disable crosshair" feature in RtCW all right - just select crosshair type until it displays an empty field, bingo!

I play Quake 3 without a crosshair exclusively, and I'm still over 85% accurate with the railgun. ^_^

Ever played 'CyClones'? Old Raven software FPS post-Doom that was actually a good bit better than Doom in several ways. That had the best example of a 'floating' crosshair, IMNSHO. You could aim totally independently of movement. It was like neo-maxi zoom bitchin'.

If the game is good (as in greater than life), after service I will:
- Update my rig
- Buy Doom 3
- Buy Dolby Surround 5.1 speakers (if I ever have the money)
- NOT play SP with a crosshair. They tend to minimize the feeling of realism. I dont like playing with crosshairs, but they are a must these days because framerates seem to drop with new games.