Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Vancouver 2010: A Fiasco In The Making

congratulations canada... your performance was shaky at moments, but the playoff games were stylish and powerful. a deserved gold.

I walked the dogs after the game and I heard cars beeping their horns and people cheering. Psychos!
I was hoping USA would score and send the game to overtime, so it was really cool that they scored with 24 seconds left in the game.

Another cool thing about the NBC broadcast was that Jeremy Roenick was doing commentary between the periods!

I would just like to say, as a world citizen first, fan of America second, and goddamn Canadian third... too bad. It would not have been undeserved if Kane potted one in OT.

That was a hell of a game... I almost think they should just give Miller a complementary gold. That dude dominated all tournament gone.

As a Blues fan, I have to say that seeing Luongo knock a team I was cheering for out of the playoffs AGAIN was almost depressing. That guy's as tough as nails.

Snakes said:

That was a hell of a game... I almost think they should just give Miller a complementary gold. That dude dominated all tournament gone.

As a Blues fan, I have to say that seeing Luongo knock a team I was cheering for out of the playoffs AGAIN was almost depressing. That guy's as tough as nails.

Miller is overrated. He does not have a deep soul. And he only dominated up until the last game.

I am a Canucks and a Blues fan. You guys have Backes, Perron, Oshie, Crombeen, and Johnson. You'll be ok. :)

Cjwright79 said:

Miller is overrated. He does not have a deep soul. And he only dominated up until the last game.

And he's only second in the NHL in save percentage and goals against average, with a team 'total goals against' that is tied for second in the league, on a team who gives up an average of 31.6 shots a game, while his team is tied for 17th in 'team goals scored'... (not overrated)

Yes, he is overrated. By you, for starters.

Bryzgalov and Luongo are better goaltenders. Brodeur, Nabokov, Steve Mason, Pascal Leclaire, Varlamov, Tim Thomas too. But Miller has a fortuitous situation in Buffalo right now. Unlike last year.

He is better than a lot of first-string goalies though. Emery and Turco for instance.

TimeOfDeath said:

I posted stats not opinions (except the last two words).

Statistics are the last refuge of the meek and cowardly. 93% of people know that!

And I will play ball. Let's find last year's stats for Miller... a moment please!

2008-09:
59 GP
34 wins, 18 losses, 6 otl
5 shutouts
2.53 GAA
0.918 SV

Good, not Hasekian.

Cjwright79 said:

I am a Canucks and a Blues fan. You guys have Backes, Perron, Oshie, Crombeen, and Johnson. You'll be ok. :)

Yeah, he is having a good year. If he sustained it for a couple more seasons, then I'd call him a great. Still, there's no denying he had a great tournament. While he wasn't dominant in that last start, he made some quality saves.

If Berglund gets his act together, he'll probably be of higher value than Perron because of his size. Perron seriously needs to mature. He's so damn inconsistent it drvies me nuts. Polack is also going to be a good defener, even if he doesn't put up oodles of points like Johnson could. Oshie, though... you want to talk about good, hard-nosed players with potential? That's our man right now.

Looking forward to the return of NHL play... it'll be pretty exciting for the next couple of months. The Olympics, on the whole shot, went well in the second half, I thought.

Yep, Miller did deserve his tournament MVP. I'd like to see Demitra get it but with no medal to show for his 10 points, that was never realistically on the table.

And Berglund, yeah, I forgot about him. He's having the classic sophomore slump. But he could get 65 points in a few years.

Graf Zahl said:

Yes, except one dead athlete. And that was not a fluke as the repeated bobsled accidents show.

{SNIP}

Aggreed.
The design was flawed, as the retaining wall along the top of the track did not go far enough past the curve, to keep the luge participants on track, and putting a steel structure right at the end of a curve is blind stupidity.
The curves themselves come too fast and sharp as well.
There is a reason why it's considered the world's least safest course. Those are 2 I found.