Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kagemaru_H

What ports do YOU use?

Me?

I use ZDoom for singleplayer and some modding.

I use Skulltag for some modding and Invasion mode

I use Chocolate Doom if I ever feel like making levels for vanilla Doom and need them tested, and maybe as an excuse to show off my frontend.

I'll be using Odamex as secondary multiplayer because ZDaemon won't let me use a Doom II v1.666 WAD.

EDIT: I would use EDGE or Eternity if a mod required it. Before I get into the whole demo game I'll have to confirm my skills by beating Doom II on UV.

GLBoom+ for everything, and occasionally GZDoom.

It used to be the other way around just a few months ago... Demo recording is addictive.

It's been a while since the last clone of that thread...

A modified GZDoom for just about everything, a modified Eternity sometimes, and ZDoom when testing new code.

Very rarely something else, and then only to check something rather than to play.

I usually use Eternity for pretty much anything it'll run (anything Boom-compat or the occasional Eternity-specific wad), and ZDoom/GZDoom for wads that specifically require one or the other. I also use Chocolate Doom pretty heavily for testing vanilla projects, and Skulltag when I'm in the mood for multiplayer.

As far as mapping/modding goes, I've got various stuff currently in the works for Eternity, ZDoom, Skulltag, Boom, and vanilla. I try pushing all of them about as far as my abilities and sanity can manage, mapping-wise, while trying to avoid letting their respective limitations show through.

Gez said:

A modified GZDoom for just about everything, a modified Eternity sometimes, and ZDoom when testing new code.

What sorts of modifications do you make to GZDoom and Eternity?

I primarily use GZDoom in software mode, or in GL mode with no filtering at a low resolution (shut up, I love that 'classic' look.)

lately I've been using EDGE and toying with modding for EDGE (its not as bad as it used to be lol)

These days I use EE and PRBoom-Plus the most of the time. I do use ZDoom pretty often as well, but my mapping/modding has moved me to using those two ports the most. As for playing for fun...well it's about the same; EE, PRBoom-Plus and sometimes ZDoom.

Someone should take all the results from all the port threads and compile a spreadsheet or something. I assume ZDoom is the most popular SP port and Skulltag for MP but it'd be nice to see how much and where other ports stand.

ZDoom for 90% of my doom playing.

GZDoom for Playstation Doom

Skulltag for when i feel like playing newschool.

esselfortium said:

What sorts of modifications do you make to GZDoom and Eternity?

Eternity: added support for mouse button 4 and 5. SDL supports them, but they have no keycode associated to them in EE. I'm too used to having them available (I remap "activate/use" to mouse4 for example), so adding them to EE was a large part of why I bothered trying to compile it in the first place.

GZDoom: a ton of little tweaks and bits of experimental code. Compat option for MBF pseudo-torque, compat option for searching max light in neighboring sectors like Boom does, a Skulltag-like rune system, scripted powerups, automap cheat: possibility to reveal hidden lines as if they were normal lines, when using IDDT twice count items are a different color than normal items and keys have a "key" vectorial icon of their own color inside their triangle, some unfinished code to read DOOMPRES.WAD, some unfinished code to define the Doom 2 "casting call" in text lumps and apply it to other games, a hack in the old decorate parser to prevent the RTC-3057 conflict by renaming the pickup if it's called "pistol", a tweak to the MDK command so that it deals forced damage so as to kill dormant monsters as well, and more.

Super Jamie said:

Someone should take all the results from all the port threads and compile a spreadsheet or something. I assume ZDoom is the most popular SP port and Skulltag for MP but it'd be nice to see how much and where other ports stand.

That sounds like an awesome idea.

And Mike.Reiner, this topic isn't asking what's the best port, but it's asking what people use. It's a lot different of a topic.

Gez said:

compat option for searching max light in neighboring sectors like Boom does

I've always thought this should be replicated upstream, or at least a compat option. It's one of the very few Boom features not implemented in the ZDoom.

Kagemaru_H said:

That sounds like an awesome idea.

And Mike.Reiner, this topic isn't asking what's the best port, but it's asking what people use. It's a lot different of a topic.

Read the posts in those threads. It basically amounts to people talking about what ports they use.

I try to keep the number of ports on my computer to a minimum. At one point on my old computer my ZDL had a ton of ports listed, alphabetically categorized going from "Boom" to "ZDoomGL." I have come to realize that the only reason I had so many ports was for some obscure port specific mods that really weren't that great (but I still love you QDoom) My port list in ZDL is currently comprised of PrBoom+, GZDoom (software), GZDoom (hardware) and EDGE.

Zdoom and Eternity pretty much. I use Eternity for most wads nowadays because I am afraid of small things zdoom might intentionally "correct" in early wads that were never meant to be changed. When it comes to playing zdoom maps...well I suppose I should have said multiple versions of zdoom. Most of my favorite zdoom wads are some pretty old ones, and since zdoom isn't very backwards compatible I now keep versions like 1.17 and 1.22 around.

The only time I really use anything else is when I am watching other's demos or testing a map for compatibility.

I just got into the demo recording game and I'll probably be using Eternity for my recording. I even set it up with SLIGE.

Kagemaru_H said:

I just got into the demo recording game and I'll probably be using Eternity for my recording.

Then you will record Eternity-only demos. I made that mistake once too. If you want Vanilla/Boom complevels, stick to PrB or PrB+.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Zdoom and Eternity pretty much. I use Eternity for most wads nowadays because I am afraid of small things zdoom might intentionally "correct" in early wads that were never meant to be changed.

Try playing Doomsday of UAC in Eternity. Then try playing it in ZDoom. :)

Super Jamie said:

Then you will record Eternity-only demos. I made that mistake once too. If you want Vanilla/Boom complevels, stick to PrB or PrB+.

Eternity is getting support for recording vanilla-compatible demos.

I'm using Chocolate-doom and Zdaemon. I'd like to play more Chocolate-doom multiplayer, looking forward to Fraggle's crazy pie in the sky idea of a DWANGO like interface for setting up games :)

Kagemaru_H said:

... ZDaemon won't let me use a Doom II v1.666 WAD.

Just curious... Any reason you want to use version 1.666 and not patch to 1.9?

Super Jamie said:

I use PrBoom-Plus almost exclusively. I keep ZDoom, Eternity and Chocolate around.

This.

GZDoom for nearly everything. Obviously I'm not particularly representative and rather biased. ;)

Although I got most other ports installed they mainly get used for testing stuff, not playing.

Despite supporting Skulltag for years and even being an administrator there, I mostly support Odamex now. I've always supported the "underdog" multiplayer port and back when I joined it Skulltag was just that. Now that it is the most commonly played multiplayer port I have moved onto help getting Odamex to have a thriving community too.

That being said I still play Skulltag a lot, mostly co-op with UniDoom and friends.

every port I can find a download link to so I can make sure my maps work in every possible port.

but for online play Skulltag and Odamex