Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
emailking

Colormap and Invul effect emulation

Excuse the ignorance here, but I was wondering why does the invulnerability look so different on this wad (longdays)? Like...it looks more as though everything turned black and white, whereas with invulnerability it normally looks like light and dark reverse.

Whilst it's possible to change the Invulnerability with the COLORMAP lump, there's nothing in Long Days which would do that. It's probably just your eyes being tricked by the visual effect the Invuln has on the particular sky Eternal's used in the map.

Super Jamie said:

Whilst it's possible to change the Invulnerability with the COLORMAP lump, there's nothing in Long Days which would do that. It's probably just your eyes being tricked by the visual effect the Invuln has on the particular sky Eternal's used in the map.

It can't be that because if I go to level 2 (just the normal Underhalls) and use invuln there it looks *very* different from what I get if I use invuln on level 2 with just the iwad and no longdays loaded.

Here are pics showing the difference.

normal: http://i50.tinypic.com/142fx2t.jpg
longdays loaded: http://i46.tinypic.com/20glfh0.jpg

Something to do with GL mode perhaps? In software mode, -warp 2 and typing "idbeholdv" appears exactly the same with and without longdays.wad loaded.

This wad is intended to be played with GL mode, so that's probably it.

Phml said:

This wad is intended to be played with GL mode, so that's probably it.

So it's a COLORMAP then? I wonder why the author did that.

No, there is no COLORMAP lump in the wad, open it in XWE.

I was more referring to how the lighting model is different in GL compared to software.

emailking said:

GLBoom-Plus detects in-wad hires textures and starts to use another (not colormap based) method for invul effect even if "Use Colormaps" is enabled. It helps to avoid this. GLBoom-Plus uses colormap approximation for hi-res textures only for Boom colormaps and there is an ability to increase precision with "gl_hires_24bit_colormap 1" in config - in this case RGB2PAL.dat (16MB) will be created in prboom folder.

invul_method = 0;
if (players[displayplayer].fixedcolormap == 32) // invul
{
  if (gl_boom_colormaps && !gl_has_hires)
  {
    invul_method = INVUL_CM; // colormap
  }
  else
  {
    if (gl_version >= OPENGL_VERSION_1_3)
    {
      invul_method = INVUL_BW; // black and white analogue, requires FBO