Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inhuman Strain

Random stuff you like that virtually everyone hates

Games and entertainment like the Doom franchise surely attract a lot of outsiders. Loners. Misfits. Black sheep. Or maybe not. But we've probably all felt this way about something, whether it be about an album, book, movie, game, or Hostess pastry.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the live action Street Fighter movie. I thought it was awesome, even the bad parts for their entertainment value (Jean-Claude Van Damme's Belgium accent making his words undecipherable, a few unexplained sudden changes, and a silly cartoon-like atmosphere). The action/dilemma itself was well-coordinated, complete with impressive martial arts and the right amount of campy atmosphere. It's pretty much lampooned by everybody. I agree that the Super Mario Bros movie was shit, but definitely not Street Fighter. I owe a lot of that to the fact that I watched the movie before I ever really played Street Fighter (if I remember), so I didn't have any expectations as to how related to the game the movie should be (which apparently wasn't that much).

Also, I like Metallica's St. Anger to a certain extent. It had some great parts that were merely misused, overdone, and poorly produced. The riffs and melodies were great, it was their arrangement that was bad, and this could be fixed if they went in and re-recorded it. I definitely do not think it deserves the worldwide scumsucking hatred and "crime against humanity" notoriety it has today.

Anyone else?

Dragonball Z. I think I win.

Edit: I didn't like the Street Fighter movie per se, but it made me appreciate Raul Julia's versatility and skill as an actor. RIP.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Edit: I didn't like the Street Fighter movie per se, but it made me appreciate Raul Julia's versatility and skill as an actor. RIP.

Indeed. Even the biggest haters of the film applauded Julia and were sympathetic to him. Kind of unfortunate that his last film was a sort of career flop, just like John Candy with Wagons East.

eargosedown said:

L4D2 on expert realism with a no-HUD mod.

Noone ever wants to play it with me! D:

Yeah, finding the right specific audience for overly modulated online games can be a bitch. It's even worse for people like me who play classic Unreal online, since there are hardly any games (especially Co-op) games WITHOUT a shitload of mods (which ultimately makes the gameplay incredibly cheap and ridiculous).

Eh, it's not even overly modulated... the plugin is serverside so there's no real hassle on the player.

The problem is, expert alone (for most l4d players) is really hard, and throwing realism mode ontop makes most people back off. Turning off the HUD so you have to play "on feel" makes everyone else usually run for cover haha. Sadly, my boyfriend hates co-op, and my other friend that loves co-op hates realism mode, so either I'm SOL or I play with people who can't watch their fire enough to not down the whole team accidentally >.>

Which brings me to a completely unrelated rant; why are so many people so horrible at FPS video games? I know I'm not all that good myself, but lord allmighty half the people in random games of Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead just have no clue what the hell is going on.

Everyone around here seems to dislike power metal, but it's my main genre of metal these days.

There's some here who dislike Skulltag for "ruining the Doom experience".

Also, a lot of people seem to dislike trading card games like MTG or Yu-Gi-Oh for some reason. It was a good idea until Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh milked the fuck out of the genre.

And even Doom itself. Kids at my school just keep talking about MW2, which makes me want to see how incompetent they are in multiplayer, on either MW2 or Doom. I mean, seriously, when I play a game, I don't want to gawk at how "realistic" it is, I got a game to play the fucking game, not watch some Pixar movie. That's why I like games like Doom, Hexen, and Quake.

I like nazi techno and north korean parade videos. And fisting cyberdemon butts.

Maes said:

I like nazi techno and north korean parade videos. And fisting cyberdemon butts.

Are you sure you're the only one that likes the last one?

Doom Marine said:

Are you sure you're the only one that likes the last one?

Not anymore :-p

I enjoyed the original Doom novels. In fact, I still have them, and I read them for like the 7th time semi-recently (last spring/summer I think).

On the subject of music, I'm very open-minded, so I like a lot of things that most people think are weird/gay.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Are you talking about the cartoon? If so, pass that around because I'm p sure that's one of the most popular cartoons of all time.

Oh yea so anyway, I have the Mario movie on VHS -and- DVD and it's totally worth it.

Also, to be topical to our own little community here, I think the Doom 32X soundtrack is the best of all the Doom soundtracks. True story. What some people deem poor work in remaking the music for the 32X port, I feel sounded a LOT more hellish in nature (the e1m8 music gave me nightmares as a kid). Also when there was no music or it was silent, the game gave off this eerie white noise type sound (no other versions have this) that made it even scarier. Maybe this has to do with nostalgia, but it's the best of all the Doom soundtracks to me.

Also anyone that says Doom as an answer is nuts since Doom is one of the most popular video games -of all time-.

Ralphis said:

Also anyone that says Doom as an answer is nuts since Doom is one of the most popular video games -of all time-.

I'm in high school. Virtually everyone in my high school hates doom.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Virtually everyone in your high school is 17 or younger and probably doesn't know what doom is anyway :(

FOX News. Yep, I'm the only one in the Doom Community that seems to like it.

In other terms, I'd say the Super Mario Bros Movie was good

Maes said:

north korean parade videos

I actually really like watching these too. Also, I like going to North Korean propaganda websites for lulz.

The smell of burnt hair... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
In highschool I used to burn off my arm hair with a lighter just to smell it.

Also, my favourite tv show, JUDGE JUDY. That doesn't really count though, since like 10 million people watch her every day.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

There was a lot of Doom hating back in 1996 but while I could understand the reasons back then (mostly bitter resentment from seeing Doom kick every other's "Doom clone"'s ass very, very hard) I can't imagine what reasons a 17yo could have for hating Doom today, unless it was portrayed in a particularly negative light by the media or something.

I know I'm not all that good myself, but lord allmighty half the people in random games of Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead just have no clue what the hell is going on.

True that. In Versus mode, I've noticed playing with (survivor) bots is much, much easier than having real humans on your team, even if you're solo against a full team.

So uuuhhh... random stuff I like that virtually everyone hates would be that, playing with bots on my team against a full team of human players.

Disco (I assure the community I'm not gay), Doom: Rampage Edition, Linkin Park, Double Dragon (that movie was awesome on so many levels)

Patrick said:

Disco (I assure the community I'm not gay)

I like Disco too. I also like something that's probably hated more than Disco and that's Country music. haha.

I like Country music.
I like Metallica's Load album.
I like Blaze Bayley when he was in Iron Maiden. Prefer Bruce but I think Blaze did a pretty good job. I even like the one song Blaze did that many Maiden fans seem to hate, The Angel and the Gambler.
I like Halo enough to play with it sometimes.
I like dill pickle flavored potato chips. Everybody seems to hate the very idea... Dunno about you Doomers tho. :p
I like shopping.
I like the Star Wars prequels.

Any kind of progressive, experimental, or avant-garde Rock and Electronic music.

Heh, I like disco, too. At least some of it. Also, I like jazz a lot. Not many people seem to be into that. That smooth jazz crap can go straight to hell, though.