Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inhuman Strain

Random stuff you like that virtually everyone hates

Probably the dorkiest music I like is the Okui Masami style anime intro songs. I have an mp3 collection of like a 100 songs that I play from time to time. I'm talking about the intro songs to anime shows like The Slayers, Saber Marionette J, and whatever else. I don't even watch anime anymore or like most of it. But I like the stupid songs for some reason. Otherwise it's Classical, Metal, Prog, Ambient, and whatever else. Mostly I listen to music I find artistic, so I can't explain away why I like stupid anime intro themes!

Hey, I like anime opening songs too, but with a quirk: Italian anime intro songs. The Italians here at DW will probably be aware of the fact that in Italy, aside from the dubbing industry dubbing every foreign film, show or cartoon in Italian, there's also a flourishing parallel songwriting/performing industry that practically rewrites all anime intro songs in Italian, often with an original score.

Usually the end results are very different in style than the originals (e.g. Daltanious songs), sometimes very close (e.g. Cat's Eye, Sailor Moon) but sometimes they are as good or even superior. In Italy they are considered mainstream enough to even be played in clubs and discos(!), and sold in record shops, often remixed.

I have a large collection of those in MP3 format, which I acquired in 1999 through a series of fortunate circumstances, on CD-R, and I was even well-versed enough to sing some of them in karaoke parties. A Greek singing Italian opening songs of Japanese anime, ha! Betcha didn't know that!

Of course, in Greece none cares about Italian-made intro songs of Japanese anime, even if sung by a Greek :-(

destx said:

They haven't made MK3 yet..

(I'm thinking you maybe got it mixed up with the Mortal Kombat tv series?)

Yeah, probably that. I must also be wrong about the dates, as I couldn't have viewed it in 1997...at most late 1998 or in 1999 at some point. Well, at the time I was all too happy to see yet another MK film, that I didn't care where it had come from :-p

Other things I enjoy are low-end action movies, ranging from what I call "budget kung-fu" to Steven Seagal's "masterpieces", passing through obscure direct-to-TV stuff like "American Kickboxer" (I'm stilll looking to find one that mixed kickboxing with hardcore Muay Thai) :-p

Ninja edit: nm it was aptly named "Kickboxer" and yikes, 5 sequels? Now THAT'S bound to be pretty low-end ;-)

Back when everyone played Quake, Chasm: The Rift was my game of choice (and I still hold it to high appraisal today.) I enjoy classical music, although I suppose there are many who do and simply don't talk about it. I am also one of those strange gamers who may be more easily wooed by a game's soundtrack then the game itself (which is only one of the reasons I prefer many older games then the stuff that comes out now.)

GhostlyDeath said:

I had a Doom Legacy and ZDoom LAN Party with 2 other students at school back in 2005.

I had an entire classroom of people playing Skulltag deathmatch and Capture the Flag during my last year of high school. I think I've got you beat. :P The original Unreal Tournament was another big one as well.

Couple more...

"Girly" drinks. I guess unlike most people, I drink stuff for the flavor instead of just to get drunk. And sugary drinks don't make me puke, so maybe I just have an iron stomach. If drinking white russians, cinnamon schnapps, and Mike's Hard Lemonade makes me a woman, then feel free to suck my tits.

British comedy, at least compared to other Americans. It seems that all but a couple fellow Americans I know hate British comedy. They don't seem to "get it" or whatever, and (ironically) only like Monty Python. On the other hand, I love it and have a growing collection of BritCom that no one wants to watch with me.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Futurama is still my number 1 but this would be close second.

It's pretty much a toss-up for me. Venture Bros. has made me laugh more, but Futurama has made me cry on occasion. Also, both shows have awesome references in them to sometimes obscure shit that few other people would get.

Doom Dude said:

Heh, I like Jazz too. Like the big band era and the stuff Jeff Healey did and Kenny Ball and stuff like that.

Actually, I'm more into jazz fusion and the stuff that later evolved into it (like early Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock). Still, I do like some of the other stuff, especially Louis Armstrong.

Mattfrie1 said:

As for movies, I don't know that many people who liked David Lynch's movie Lost Highway. I love how much it makes you think, and how the movie's plot can be taken so many different ways makes it an unforgettable movie for me at least. And the movie's soundtrack is kick ass as well.

Heh, I love that movie too. I only got into it because of the soundtrack (which was the most awesome thing to my teenage 90s self), and the first couple times I watched it I was like "WTF is this shit...makes no sense". Then I read someone's analysis on it and it made complete sense to me, and I've loved it ever since.

I may as well just post lines from an MSN chat:

Duckie McZombiepants the 1th says:
How are you?
Mike says:
Ok, just lurkin' a doom board
Posted a rant about metal and a long post about the obscure comics i collect, now reading a "things you love that nobody else does" thread, i could just copy the two posts i made into it **

---

Mike says:
"Dragonforce" "British comics that aren't really comics which you've never heard of anyway"

Ralphis said:

Oh yea so anyway, I have the Mario movie on VHS -and- DVD and it's totally worth it.

Oh God me and my girlfriend watched that as a "So bad it's good" movie this winter break, and it was just that, really really bad, but we were laughing all throughout the movie.

I would say Minesweeper. I laugh at everyone who says "It's all luck! The numbahs are teh points right?". I love Minesweeper, and now use custom fuck hard maps instead of expert.

Danarchy said:

Couple more...

"Girly" drinks. I guess unlike most people, I drink stuff for the flavor instead of just to get drunk. And sugary drinks don't make me puke, so maybe I just have an iron stomach. If drinking white russians, cinnamon schnapps, and Mike's Hard Lemonade makes me a woman, then feel free to suck my tits.

This has to be one of the coolest quotes I've read on this board so far.

Inhuman Strain said:

This has to be one of the coolest quotes I've read on this board so far.

I wholly agree.

Oh i also think that The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film was far better than the comic. Maybe it's just my dislike of Alan Overrated in general, but i thought the comic was so busy making references it forgot to include a story until the end. Shame the sequel will never be made... just imagine a "proper" War of the Worlds adaption! Like the city scenes of the recent Sherlock Holmes film... only on fire!

Yes, i know some Poles made a film adaption based on the book but i think that's in distribution screwup hell. I've never seen it anyway.

Ninjalah said:

I love Minesweeper, and now use custom fuck hard maps instead of expert.

Custom Minesweeper maps?

There goes my day.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean Windows Minesweeper with custom mine counts and etc. I thought you meant that you can get human-designed Minesweeper layouts somewhere. Sigh... back to work...

Thinking. :P

StupidBunny said:

Also, I like going to North Korean propaganda websites for lulz.

I recall someone made a NK propaganda website just for the lulz. Too bad I can't find the link.

Creaphis said:

Custom Minesweeper maps?

There goes my day.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean Windows Minesweeper with custom mine counts and etc. I thought you meant that you can get human-designed Minesweeper layouts somewhere. Sigh... back to work...

How about custom maps for CyberSweeper 2? :)

Not sure how hated it is or was, but I've always liked Blood 2.

I also think Blood is overrated. I'm not even sure if it can be called the best Build engine game now that I've tried playing it again and got bored out of my mind halfway through the second episode. Didn't have that problem with SW and RR.

While I didn't really enjoy Unreal 2 that much, the only problem I had with it was the ridiculously slow player movement. Other than that, the game is okay.

On to movies.

New Rose Hotel. I've never read Gibson's story but the movie still blows me away with it's Walken/Dafoe combo. I know IMDB is hardly representative, but damn, 4.2?

Various 'crappy' horror movies. I guess I have Cradle of Fear to thank for that, having watched it countless times in high school with my buddies. Now I can't help but appreciate stuff like Razor Blade Smile, Lesbian Vampire Killers, Zombie Strippers etc. for its comedic value. I'd rather watch a bad horror movie for laughs than some generic and unfunny comedy flick.

Inside this forum: Trance music. (of course, being this is a Doom forum and everything, the vast majority of the community being metal-heads isn't surprising) At least there are others here who appreciate classical music and some other forms of electronic music (techno, dnb, etc) as well.

Outside of this forum: Showgirls (the movie). Definitely in the "so bad it's good" territory for me.

I don't think electronic music fans are all that rare. Well, maybe in here. I personally love electronic music of all types.

Nuxius said:

Outside of this forum: Showgirls (the movie). Definitely in the "so bad it's good" territory for me.

Hell yes. Besides, Verhoeven is one of my fav directors, not to mention Gina Gershon is naked in almost every scene she's in.

BTW, Battlefield Earth scored the worst movie of the decade Razzie. I've read the book before I've ever even heard of Scientology, and I liked it, then I watched the movie and I just don't get why it's supposed to be one of the worst movies ever. It's just your average sci-fi movie, nothing special, positive or negative.

---

I'm a fan of electronic music as well. Anything from oldschool electronica like Kraftwerk and Klaus Schulze to modern day d'n'b (Aphrodite), goa/psychedelic, hardstyle (Showtek, Technoboy). Sometimes I even like to listen to gabber and terrorcore (DJ Buzz Fuzz, Angerfist, Nordcore GMBH). I've never met another fan of hardcore techno in person though.

Recently I've begun to discover electro house after running into a Deadmau5 album at my friend's place.

I really like dressing in "women's" clothing. I am a decidedly straight man, but there are other gender 'roles' or whatever that I contradict. So, I sometimes wear skirts, mostly long hippie-ish ones, and get french braids, and so on. Although there are some people who appreciate it, many guys and girls just give me weird looks.

magicsofa said:

So, I sometimes wear skirts, mostly long hippie-ish ones, and get french braids, and so on. Although there are some people who appretociate it, many guys and girls just give me weird looks.

Actually if I saw a bearded guy with his hair in a french braid and a hippie-ish skirt, I'd think he was some sort of Hindu Guru. Unusual...but not out of this planet.

I, on the other hand, would be thinking; I SERIOUSLY need to lay off Saints' Row 2! :P

As for my list:

Saints' Row 2 ;)
The Doom movie
Classical music
House music
Doom modding lolz

magicsofa said:

I really like dressing in "women's" clothing. I am a decidedly straight man, but there are other gender 'roles' or whatever that I contradict. So, I sometimes wear skirts, mostly long hippie-ish ones, and get french braids, and so on. Although there are some people who appreciate it, many guys and girls just give me weird looks.

I immediately thought of this.

You've become that much cooler to me just by posting that.

magicsofa said:

If you're for serious, high five. I feel the same way, though you seem to have more balls than I.

If I could get away with wearing womens clothing like Eddie Izzard does, I probably would.

Another one: Bad Religion's Into the Unknown album...You know, the out-of-print one where they're playing keyboard-laden hard rock instead of the usual punk? That's actually a damn good album. I was just listening to it in my car today.