Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Staggered crushers

What's the best way to build staggered crushers in DB2? I have a crusher with 3 pillars set up. I can set up linedefs and put lots of space between them in the hallway where the crushers are, but I was wondering if there was any other way to do this.

What's more useful to us than the editor you're using is the compatibility standard you're mapping for. Is this a map for limit removing ports? For Boom-compatible ports? For ZDoom?

Why keep people thinking that something they want to do has anything to do with the editor they are using?

I don't know if it has anything to do with the editor. Different programs can do different things. Or rather, different programs have different interfaces to do things.

Anyway, I was looking for advice on the best way to build staggered crushers.

If timing is critical:
- create a conveyor-belt dummy sector containing a voodoo doll;
- have the player trigger an action to start the dummy-sector conveyor-belt at whatever speed you want;
- use the voodoo doll to trigger the crushers.

AFAIK, this is the most port-independent way to force specific time intervals between crushers.

audiodef said:

I'm using jDoom - does that help?

Just to clarify: are you mapping with jDoom selected as the map format, or is it simply the engine you choose to play the WAD with?

Lutz, that is a neat idea! Thanks! I don't know how to use a voodoo doll in this case, but I'll see if I can find some info or figure it out.

I'm using jdoom to build the map, although I was thinking of switching to DOOM II as the format for map-building. Wouldn't that be more compatible with various engines?

audiodef said:...
I'm using jdoom to build the map, although I was thinking of switching to DOOM II as the format for map-building. Wouldn't that be more compatible with various engines? [/B]

Well, use the format you are most comfortable with.

However, since about 75% of mappers are using ZDoom or a variant thereof, it would be best to use the ZDoom in Hexen format, for its extended capabilties. It needs a bit of learning, but you can ease yourself into it gradually. Or, if you should feel adventurous, then use the UDMF format.

Lutz said:

If timing is critical:
- create a conveyor-belt

That's a Boom feature, and therefore not possible with jDoom currently.

Gez said:

D'oh; good point. I still think my suggestion is the most port-independent, but there is no 100% solution...

Kappes Buur said:

However, since about 75% of mappers are using ZDoom or a variant thereof, it would be best to use the ZDoom in Hexen format, for its extended capabilties.

What about No?

Jodwin said:

What about No?

Seconded.

On topic, boom is supported by zdoom and I think (correct me if wrong) jdoom also supports it, not to mention eternity I believe. So just make it in boom and you get a wide range of compatible ports with some very nice features to boot, although the lack of virtual scripting can be tedious sometimes (making those 100 imp teleports in SLm28 was a pain in the butt -.-).

There're plenty of threads on boom voodoo dolls if you need explanations, not to mention many maps that use them if you need reference.

Gez said:

Use the Doomsday XG equivalent.

However Doomsday's XG was broken in 1.9 Beta5, when Deng team got bigger and better ideas halfway through rewriting something related, that needs to be fully implemented before XG can be restored.

Doomsday doesn't currently support Boom (though XG mimics most of it's features), but I understand it will be trivial to add when Dday 1.9/2.0 is finally done.

Thanks. I'll check out boom and voodoo dolls.

Shouldn't that be "How about no, Scott? Sh! Zip it. Unveil the time portal"?