Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

The War on...Food?

Mr. Freeze said:

How is my family going to order out on a Friday night with this shit?

Pasta obviously.
Most (local) pizza places that I've seen offer pasta.

doom2day said:

Pasta obviously.
Most (local) pizza places that I've seen offer pasta.

In my experience, ordered-out pasta tends to taste awful. Pizza places are *PIZZA* places for a very good reason.

A study published earlier this week by the American Medical Association's Archives of Internal Medicine argues that if pizza and soda were more expensive, people would consume them less frequently in favor of healthier fare

the healthier fare is HELLA MORE EXPENSIVE than any pizza will ever be because food places jack up the price on healthy food so the price will make up somewhat for the lower demand... and they never ever "lower" those, as it will not make it worthwhile. Just learn to like Subway, kids.

What the fuck. If they want to squeeze more taxes out of us, how about making marijuana legal then taxing the hell out of it, k?

They're gonna to try to tax on my favorite kind of food ever in existence!?

This is the most outrageous crap I've ever heard of >_<

With the soda tax looming over Philadelphia and now reading this, it makes me question what's going on here. This is supposed to be America, land of (relatively) free enterprise. Isn't it enough that the government puts sin tax on cigarettes and alcohol, but now it's going to start being applied to foods to more or less police our health (by the way, the Philadelphia soda tax that's supposed to be in the interest of health? It's not, it's because the city is BROKE and they have to try and find money from anywhere they can)? I'm not one to normally stand on a soapbox and preach nowadays, but where does it end?

First soda, then pizza, then burgers and cheesesteaks (why are these guys exempt in the first place if pizza is getting taxed), french fries, onion rings? Bottled ice teas that have just as much caffeine as sodas? Potato chips, cheese doodles, popcorn? What about white breads that are high in sugar content next? Is it time to start taxing red meats?

I'm totally for people becoming more healthy as I've been trying to do so myself recently by cutting out a lot of sugars and carbs and adding fish and eggs. Even then, who is the government to come in and put sin taxes on these products? An even better question is, who's going to stop them?

Liberal Nazis strike again.

How about TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF?!

No, can't have that, it's the Pizza Joint's fault.

No wonder Republicans are starting to take things back.

Mr. Freeze said:

In my experience, ordered-out pasta tends to taste awful. Pizza places are *PIZZA* places for a very good reason.

IMO, regular restaurants don't do pasta justice either.

Well, you can learn how to bake your own pizzas. Does the tax include pre-baked or semi-ready ones?

Danarchy said:

What the fuck. If they want to squeeze more taxes out of us, how about making marijuana legal then taxing the hell out of it, k?

You should know by now that this would make too much sense.

The logic is terrible

Ok seriously, obesity may be a problem in this country, but is it really the government's fault? of course not. People get obese because they let *themselves*, not because the government does anything. It's not up to the government to decide what to eat, it's up to us. If people become obese from that, well, it's their fault.

Danarchy said:

But then you'd have more fatties with the munchies!

InsanityBringer said:

The logic is terrible

Ok seriously, obesity may be a problem in this country, but is it really the government's fault? of course not. People get obese because they let *themselves*, not because the government does anything. It's not up to the government to decide what to eat, it's up to us. If people become obese from that, well, it's their fault.

Nobody ever claimed the government is to blame for this but the "reason" that the taxes are being put down is to drive down medical expenses nationwide by hundreds of millions (heart disease, diabetes, etc).

Anyway, rising gas prices already hurt pizza shops enough over the years. Keep kickin' em

Soon pizza shall become only the fare of the rich, who will stare down their noses at us whilst they eat their bourgeois "french fries."

What does an 18% tax make on pizza, $1.18?

I'd say the average large pizza around here floats around $13 bucks +-$2 so about $2.30 extra ($1.98-$2.70). Anyway, to me it's more of an issue of principle than the actual money involved. I'm sure to some though, the monetary increase will matter.

Ralphis said:

Is it time to start taxing red meats?

The people wanting to use global warming as a means of controlling our lives climate change people have been wanting that for ages.

Oh God, I don't want to hear any of this "liberals vs. Republicans" bullshit. Republicans have always been the first to the charge in terms of having the government dictate what we can and cannot put in our own bodies. Not to mention, they just absolutely friggin' love imposing their religious views on everyone else, their views on sexuality, etc. I don't want to hear a goddamn thing about how Republicans promote freedom, because it's all a goddamn friggin' lie.

Well I think it's good idea. Might encourage more people to buy diet soda and hopefully the taxes would go into subsidizing healthy food.

If a tax on soda and pizza are put into law, alot of people will be pissed off. I know living in [New] Jersey, that food and essentials (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, etc.) are not taxed. However beverages and prepared foods are taxed.

If more tax is added to 7% for soda then the price of soda will go up and companies will suffer.

Soda sells for ~$6, so that's 42 cents right there. But if the added tax were to make it 20% then you are paying $1.20 extra.

Taxing stuff and potentially leading to prohibition (image being arrested for eating Pizza) has never worked really. People who are addicted just buy more. If all the local coke dealers got arrested, addicts in the town will just get the coke from other towns.

Doesn't matter if it works. Use the money to fund some national health care. I suppose Americans aren't smart enough to do that though.

Maes said:

Well, you can learn how to bake your own pizzas.

That's what I was thinking while reading the articles and this thread. I've made my own pizzas before and if they ever had that stupid tax here, id just make my own. It's pretty fukken easy to make your own pizza. To hell with those tax twats.

Also diet pop tastes like crap. I'd rather drink water or some kind of juice than that shitty diet junk. I especially hate that Ass-partame crud.

Maes said:

Yeah, because those artificial sweeteners are soooo much healthier.

Peh. It seems odd to me that every single atrificial sweetner is met with some kinda IT GIVES YOU THE HEAD CANCER AND MAKES YOU FAT response despite the fact that all the science dudes say it's not going to kill you unless you eat 300KG of it a day and you're a rat. These stories are obviously made up by sugar farmers and also willy wonka is osama bin laden. THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE

destx said:

Peh. It seems odd to me that every single atrificial sweetner is met with some kinda IT GIVES YOU THE HEAD CANCER AND MAKES YOU FAT response

Dunno about the aspartame horror stories, but I can confirm about the -ahem- laxative effect. Seriously, check it out: almost everyone of those "sugar free products" has a warning on the side of "An excessive consumption may have laxative effects", which is sadly true.

Now, what classifies as excessive consumption? A practical example: eating more than 10 "vitaminized" and "sugar free" bon bons a day gave me regular diarrhea until I completely stopped taking them. Whatever health benefit I got from the vitamins went -quite literally- to shit.

Same thing happens if you drink about two large glasses of diet coke etc.

No matter how you look at it, that stuff is NASTY.

Ironically, Vivident White chewing gums have a recommendation on their package that you should assume 20 of them a day to get your daily calcium intake....and right near there's the laxative effects warning :-D That kinda defeats the benefits, doesn't it? :-D

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The people wanting to use global warming as a means of controlling our lives climate change people have been wanting that for ages.

awesome. Yes, this does come across as a carbon-tax of sorts. It sort of ties in with the carbon-tax too, less aspartame & junk food, and less farting, so it helps the environment. Plants grow better with CO2, since they consume it to create 02. I'm glad plants cant read the bbc news, since they'll think CO2 is a pollutant and stop consuming it.

These taxes won't fix anything. Portions have gotten huge over the years. People are supposed to eat around 2000 calories a day but now eat over 4000 due to this. Its not that we eat unhealthy, its that we eat too much.

I think all the Coke Zero I drank has given me semi-permanent diarrhea. :D I switched to ginger ale. That started making me fat again. I switched to tea. Now I have to piss all the time. It's no win.

At least the tea doesn't make me fat, tired, sick hung over, or otherwise ill. I'll take the piss.