Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
audiodef

Trouble adding midi file via XWE

Trying to add a midi file via XWE. I've been working on a map in DB2 using jdoom format, using DOOM II as the primary resource. I can add the MIDI file (which I created myself and saved in MIDI 1 format), and get it to play while still in XWE. However, when I run the game via Doomsday, it crashes like so:

---------------------
DOOM 2: Hell on Earth
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Game state parameters:
P_LoadMap: "MAP01"
convertMap: Attempting conversion of "MAP01".
WadMapConverter::Convert: Attempting map conversion...
WadMapConverter::Convert: Unknown map format, aborting.
convertMap: Failed.
P_SetupMap: Failed loading map "MAP01".
My map works prior to inserting the .mid with XWE (I make a copy before doing this in case stuff like this happens, so my map isn't fubarred).

From that error message I'm doing a wild guess: you inserted the file somewhere between the other map lumps.

I prefer doing -> entry -> new, naming it whatever the doom/2 level's midi is named, then doing entry -> replace, choosing the midi I want in that slot. Then I don't have to rename the original midi or copy it and rename it, which made me have to think a lot more about which midis went with which map when it came time to do credits. Of course most wads don't list midi credits anyway so it won't be too big of a deal if you forget ...

Thanks for the replies, guys. What worked was putting the lump at the end of the list and using ArmouredBlood's suggestion. I'm guessing, though, that listing the lump last was probably the fix. I had already named the lump D_RUNNIN.

It was wicked cool hearing my own music in the game (albeit in 16-bit genmidi).

A bit OT, but DB's JDoom.cfg is very misleading with regards to Dday's moddiing abilities and has misled in the past.

That said, a standard cfg probably can't support XG and such because of it's modular nature.

Vermil said:

A bit OT, but DB's JDoom.cfg is very misleading with regards to Dday's moddiing abilities and has misled in the past.

That said, a standard cfg probably can't support XG and such because of it's modular nature.

Actually, it could be possible with DB2's #include-like feature for config files. You'd first need to modularize the Doomsday configuration as much as possible, kinda like what I did for the ZDoom DB2 configurations. Then once this is done, you can provide a template configuration file for users, where they can just add their new line types and whatever following a model, and all the standard definitions are out of the way.

In fact, it should even be possible to write a little parser that reads an xg file and writes a DB2 configuration file.

audiodef said:

I'm guessing, though, that listing the lump last was probably the fix.

Each map consists of several lumps, which are expected to be in the correct order. You can not simply place other lumps between the map lumps.

I've got one of my songs in a map now and it works, but how do I tell it to repeat when it reaches the end?

audiodef said:

I've got one of my songs in a map now and it works, but how do I tell it to repeat when it reaches the end?

It should do that automatically.

Yeah, there was. I opened Sonar and noticed that one track had some blank space trailing out beyond the end of the song. I'll snip it and replace the lump, and then I'm assuming it will work properly.