Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

Big fight tactics

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good tactic for taking out a swarm of revenants. Like in Sunder map03 when you go out of the first room and grab the blue armor or whatever in the corner. I love slaughtermaps, but the ones that tend to have giant swarms of revenants, coupled with arch-viles tend to be my undoing.

The BFG9000 will be very handy in this case, if you have it. I would try and kill the Arch-viles first so they do not cause headaches with resurrecting monsters or hurting you with their fire attack.

DoomHero85 said:

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good tactic for taking out a swarm of revenants. Like in Sunder map03 when you go out of the first room and grab the blue armor or whatever in the corner. I love slaughtermaps, but the ones that tend to have giant swarms of revenants, coupled with arch-viles tend to be my undoing.

Rockets usually works good against groups of them.
If not rockets, use plasma gun.
If not plasma gun, use SSG or Chaingun, depending on the situation.

If there are archviles, the caingun becomes pretty useless because you kill slower than they resurrect.

If all that fails, then IDDQD->IDFA->BFG ;-) OR IDCLEVxx

But as general tip, walking in circles around them, makes you nearly invincible because their fireballs will hit themselves.

I like to door camp, so I just find some cover and spam rockets from behind it. If not that, two SSG shots to the chest does the job.

Oh, great Jodwin, where art thou, to teach these noobs how to take down Revenants with THE PISTOL, at CLOSE QUARTERS without even a scratch?

The best thing to come a master, is to go there, fight the Hell, and learn from your mistakes.
Thats how im now less stupider player :)

Lead fireballs to other monsters for infighting, dodge at the last possible moment so fireballs hit walls, try to stay aware of your surroundings.

Also, shoot at them until they die.

Coopersville said:

I like to door camp, so I just find some cover and spam rockets from behind it. If not that, two SSG shots to the chest does the job.

That also works well.

I prefer "snaking" behind the tiniest obstacle, running away/through fight, abusing corners, door camping, infighting, hiding in the slightest alcove/crevice and even abusing decoration. You can't imagine how useful a misplaced tree or torch can be in absorbing all those nasty revenant and cyberdemon rockets ;-)

The key is awareness. You've got stay apprised of everything that might put you in a world of hurt before you run out of room.

Maes said:

You can't imagine how useful a misplaced tree or torch can be in absorbing all those nasty revenant and cyberdemon rockets ;-)

Doom was never meant to have solid decorations block projectiles at normal height. ZDoom got it wrong for a while, and now everyone thinks they should -_-

printz said:

Doom was never meant to have solid decorations block projectiles at normal height. ZDoom got it wrong for a while, and now everyone thinks they should -_-

Hm? I used the trees at the beginning of E3M1 to block Cacodemon attacks when I originally played vanilla Doom.

printz said:

So true.

Coopersville said:

Hm? I used the trees at the beginning of E3M1 to block Cacodemon attacks when I originally played vanilla Doom.

only thing I can imagine that went on there was that one of the imps blocked it, I dunno. those trees wont block the caco projectiles, they don't even block your gun shots. Vanilla Doom decorations don't block attacks unless it's something like a barrel.

anyway, for big fights I try to get some cover if it's a horde of shotguners or chainguners. for anything else I just play bullet hell strafing like there was no tomorrow. (god I just love the momentum of walking in Doom)

[EDIT]

It's 3am and I'm not paying too much attention. I'm yet to play Sunder, but you can look at this youtube video. dude just rockets them all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXsnmZClb0I

Actually, Doom decorations can block bullets and projectyles even in vanilla if they are hacked to be "shootable" via dehacked. I don't know if they would clip projectyles that are hitting low enough though, as most decorations have a very low height hitbox (such as 16 units) and so the blocking effect, if any, would be masked in most circumstances. Heh, Doom never ceases to surprise us....

Maes said:

Actually, Doom decorations can block bullets and projectyles even in vanilla if they are hacked to be "shootable" via dehacked. I don't know if they would clip projectyles that are hitting low enough though, as most decorations have a very low height hitbox (such as 16 units) and so the blocking effect, if any, would be masked in most circumstances. Heh, Doom never ceases to surprise us....

Well... you can do a lot of things with Dehacked.

The most important big fight tactic is to MOVE

depending on the fight, sometimes its better to hide behind cover (something like a pillar), quickly strafe out to fire, then go back under cover to dodge their attacks (or to reload if you are using a shotgun).

in other fights, its best to keep moving, or bigger groups can surround and gangbang you very quickly.

also, if it is a cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.

PROTIP: Big Fights are Huge, therefore they require Huge Guns and Huge Ammo.

Rocket spam, play Rambo style, avoid faggotry moves like shooting from a safe place or infight, shoot more rockets, perhaps a BFG shot or two just for the sake of it, rocket spam! rocket spam! rocket spam!

That will work.

Vegeta said:

That will work.

Just like these martial arts that depend on the prowess of the practitioner "If you are big and huge, just punch hard straight ahead and you will WIN! And your opponent will LOSE!!!"

run through the middle, then circle around the whole area a bit, waving the fist into the air the whole time. when everyone's busy, push your switches, grab your items and get the hell outta there. use archvile jumps and rocket boosts to run away faster.

ignore the last bit if we're talking about real life fights.

Maes said:

PROTIP: Big Fights are Huge, therefore they require Huge Guns and Huge Ammo.

Unless you're playing feckyoo by gggmork. ;)