Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

A little input for an area of mine..

I am attempting to figure out what to add to this small in/outdoor courtyard of mine. The center area is a lower outdoor area while the inner section is inside with a grate barring the sections. The two squares are teleporters that go to each other, the ceiling height is 152 and the main textures used in that section are green stone/marble/wood/metal (Namely GSTONE1 for interior, WOOD1 for lower texture and various METAL/SUPPORT3 use for support and detailing.

A metal octagonal frame about 80 units high that lowers to floor level when you grab the Green Armor, revealing a deaf Revenant. He'll chase you through the teleporter if you flee.

Don't know about the "courtyard" (it's so small!), but you could add monster closets to the outer area that open when you pick up the ssg. Possibly add a door that closes/opens for a short duration (9 seconds or so) to prevent teleporting back right away.

A tree like the other area is a yes and I am planning on a closet or two to ambush the player. I wouldn't want to make an obvious trap within there at 80 units since the monster can probably see me from the inside section (it'd higher if I did that)

I would move the "earth" sector to the middle of the small courtyard and add a gray teleporter in the opposite part of the small courtyard, where a monster will appear and ambush the player.

When the player steps into the "earth" sector to pick up the items, the monster(or monsters) teleport to the gray teleport pad.

That small courtyard pretends to be a devilish place, so the player should fear it before entering it. Having this into account, I would modify some of those wood textures (a section) and would add one or two gargoyle faces (those gargoyles with wooden background) to the wood linedefs.

If you add them, you could also add a "vertical" frame to enclose the gargoyle faces, and then you will have to add a border to the large courtyard that meets the small courtyard, leaving a 1-unit separation, lowering the front part, and adding the lower texture to the sidedef that is looking to the small courtyard. Think in a metal border over the wood.

I would add also a border to the teleport/s pad/s.

@Karnizero: I probably could do that if I move the weapon/armor closer to the red teleporter.

Maybe I should enlarge the general area a bit for maneuverability if I set that up.

What about putting berserk packs behind the doors so that the player will be automatically switched to fist upon going through and having a revenant, or arch-vile facing the teleporter (which it can go in)which will misdirect the players attack to let out some monsters (preferably hitscanners so an arch-vile can do that annoying raise-kill-raise-kill stuff) on the platform around the courtyard. (I'm a pretty devious bastard sometimes)

In The Shivering Isles (Oblivion), one of the equerries to Sheogorath has a garden in the palace.
Now, that level of detail can't be approached in the Doom family of engines but the layout *could* work. (I couldn't find any pictures so just follow me here)

Basically you expand the area, probably around 640x480, to create the boundaries. Then, make the inner area 512x384. Place the teleporters and items then, at the corners of the inner area have some trees or something to break up the line of sight. Then, create a linedef trap that spawns a revenant or some such creature in the outer ring and a demon or short range creature in the inner area.

Players fight both. If they choose to take on the demon then the revenant, their choice and vice versa.

Just a thought.

Mr. Chris said:

Maybe I should enlarge the general area a bit for maneuverability if I set that up.

Enlarge it a bit? Really, the area is very small, and since you're intending the player to go in there and do stuff asking "what should I add in" without first significantly enlarging it is silly. Especially so since you're not working on a 1024 or some other restricted map (you could do plenty of tricks with such maps, but if you don't need tricks, it's better to not use them).

If you're going to have some gameplay and scenery in that area, enlarge it. If not, you might as well leave it as is.