Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

UAC Ultra released! (v1.2 final)

You're a Space marine...

Disease. An incurable though tangible threat. The demons prowl among the scorched barrens of Mars. Fleets of cacodemons infest every region. Spectres and imps swarming from every crevice. Deep down under Mars' subterra lies UAC's immense labyrinth of superhuman technology. The underground top secret lair of their most horrific experiments, buried in distress.

This is UAC Ultra.

As was previously posted, 40oz and I have been working on a level set for Doom 2. After 4 months of work, I'm happy to announce UAC Ultra is finally here!

This is an 11 (and a half) map episode for Boom-compatible ports, though we recommend PrBoom-Plus on complevel 9. Single player has been given attention on all difficulties, and we've set things up for co-operative play as well. It hopefully should be a decent challenge for most players on UV, without being ridiculously hard, yet remain playable for amateurs on HNTR.

UAC Ultra's levels contain almost all completely new or modified textures, which we're releasing consecutively as a texture pack for you to map with. There is a completely new monster who you'll meet in the later half of the maps, as well as a sector boss at the end. You'll also notice some sprite changes, a new status bar, and a few DEH/BEX touches like automap names and map06/map11 end texts.

We'd like to say a special thanks to:
- Jodwin, Kyka, Tanner West and Randy Vail for their playtesting
- Jimmy91 and Nick Baker for their music
- exl, CodeImp, SlayeR and Csabo for their WAD editing tools
- The Green Herring and esselfortium for a bit of help along the way;
and last but certainly not least, to Chronoteeth and Slug for their "Chimaira" artwork which they graciously allowed us to base our end boss on.

Downloads are hosted by me for now, I'll update with idgames links when it passes /incoming.

UAC Ultra v1.2 (final): http://www.superjamie.net/doomfiles/uacultra.zip (2.2Mb)

UltraTex v1.1 (final): http://www.superjamie.net/doomfiles/ultratex.zip (460kb)

Edit: URLs updated to v1.2. Includes Essel's Eternity fixes, plus bugfixes to all maps. v1.0 and v1.1 are available as uacultra10.zip and uacultra11.zip at the same URL.

And some screenshots, so you know what you're in for.

Please let us know what you think and feel free to record some demos. Enjoy!

Well. I've played up to map04 so far. It seems to be quite a nice map set. Gameplay flows along well.

I noticed some issues though. Some block monster lines have been used a little oddly, like on map01 here blocking the cacos, or on map02 blocking the archvile making it a really easy fight.

I also find alot of the textures to be quite, well. Ugly. Could just be me though.

Also noticed a hom on map02. edit: it's on the sky, above the crate. Using prboom 2.5.0.5

Will continue playing. :)

I'm on map 05. This is awesome so far.
Levels are a bit linear, but the gameplay and atmosphere are really good.

Played up to lvl 07, and killed the new monster. Is he rollerblading? :P

I got trapped in the archvile-room in map 03 and I also got trapped in the lava in map 04 (the teleporters wasnt reachable).

Besides that I really likeed it so far! Great stuff, but maybe a tad too gritty and dark at places. =)

I've got to say I'm disappointed so far. I got to (I think, as darkreaver mentioned the same thing) map04 where I was so confused as to where to go I finally jumped in lava and found teleporters blocked. The whole thing felt way too easy on UV, the few bits of difficulty here and there were from abusive height differences or cramped parts rather than fight choregraphy (meaning it wouldn't be fun on Nightmare either) ; also my doomguy somehow kept switching to the chainsaw before berzerk, making quick melee inefficient.

Ambiance could have been great but music choice ruined it for me, it just didn't fit in my opinion. Textures were good to look at, but I found myself confused as to where to go most of the time, lack of color constrast was pretty bad. Granted, I was playing in GL and I understand this is intended to be played in software.

All in all, I just don't have anything positive to say about it but this isn't to say it's bad. First, I haven't checked the later maps, and I can also recognize work was put into it. It's likely this is just a different style issue, not the kind of wad I like. I think I recall a comment by 40oz saying the maps would be HR-like (maybe I misread), and I probably had unfair expectations.

Edit : Ok, done checking the whole wad. The rollerblading cyberdemon is hilarious (in an awesome way), and Map11 was great. :)

kristus said:

Wont run in EE due to a texture error.

I did a quick unofficial fix of a couple errors in the wad that would prevent it from running properly (or at all) in EE and in older Boom/PrBoom versions.

I fixed a support texture that was mistakenly defined as 33 wide rather than 32, and had a column without a patch. (This was the error you were getting that was preventing it from loading the wad.)

I fixed some patches and textures that had lowercase names; I don't think the lowercase names would actually cause any problems in any ports that I'm aware of, but I figured it was worth fixing just in case.

I replaced the 1024-tall credits texture with several 128-tall ones made from each of the composited original texture's patches, and did a basic setup in map12 to have them displayed in the same way that the original tall texture was.

Note that I haven't played through the maps yet or checked for bugs there, so I'm not claiming accountability for any other potential issues, other than idcleving through all the maps to make sure they'd all load and I hadn't somehow broken anything in that regard. :P

http://sl4.poned.com/uacultra.zip

I'm hoping Jon and Jamie don't mind me having done this <_<

holy shit. got to map07 ... the skating Cyberdemon was funny, but the cool recolor seemed to fit the overall style of the mod. I really like the kind of style that this has. It's like Quake 2, Quake 1 and Duke Nukem all together. I honestly think that some more heavy metal sounding tracks would have done wonders for this mod. But I like it nonethless. The gameplay is simple and easy to follow, I've not yet gotten lost. It seems to progress fairly linearly.

Now, IMHO, this got ugly at parts using a software renderer. I ended up changing from software ZDoom to hardware GZDoom (pistol starting map05 was surprisingly easy, for the record, I NEVER pistol start a level beyond map01) I think it looks better in GZDoom with Doom-style lighting enabled and no texture filtering to keep that cool pixel-y look.

I think in all I wouldn't change anything Ive seen so far, maybe add some flame trails to the feet of the skating cyberdemon so it looks like he's gliding along a trail of fire or something...

Can't wait to see what happens nexy.

In Map11, the Linedefs teleporting 8 barons are using tag20 and 26, but there's no sector with these tags.

Also forgot to add in my previous post (edit) that the end boss looked really, really nice. I was too dumb to figure out how to kill it without using DB2 but that's my problem. The end area in Map10 was cool too (that machine thing with arachnotrons and cybies).

esselfortium said:

I fixed a support texture that was mistakenly defined as 33 wide rather than 32

I remember that Doom2.exe (or was it Chocolate Doom) had no qualms about it. So why does Eternity?

printz said:

I remember that Doom2.exe (or was it Chocolate Doom) had no qualms about it. So why does Eternity?

Because the problem wasn't the width, it's the fact that the 33rd column had no patch. The actual patch was only 32 units wide, but the texture had a 33rd column with nothing in it.

Editing instead of replying, to avoid further derail: The recently-started texture system rewrite in EE will eliminate these problems in there, at least, though it's still not correct for a Boom wad ;)

Something Vanilla Doom DO have serious issues with. But it doesn't cause a crash before the textures is actually attempted to be rendered by the engine. EE just beats it to the punch and prevents it from running at all.

HOLY SHIT...

BEST use of the Icon of Sin I've ever seen!

Good Job guys!

Heh, perhaps a v1.1 update is needed :) I'll get to work.

Thanks for the comments so far, even the not-so-good ones as they all help us become better mappers. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some of these demos!

Also thanks essel for the quick Eternity fix! We didn't think to test in that port.

The Haymaker's walking frames (or lack thereof) was something which we expected would draw some comments. We found it hard to make him walk convincingly with the speed he moves at, so opted for the current sliding look. It is pretty funny but hopefully he's good to fight and it's not too distracting.

Sorry for the bother with the bugs :/

There was a particular fight in a mostly squarish room where some arachnotrons teleport in. There are 4 candleabras in that room that impair the player's movement when trying to circle them. These need to go. Unless that's intentional, in which cas, screw you guys :P There's also a part where there are some angles on walls that make it difficult to dodge a revenant's rocket. (I dont remember these map #'s off the top of my head) Please make these 90 angles so I can avoid those rockets.

that is all for now. I'll be more specific later with some map numbers.

Haha, please do :)

Oh Phml, if you're looking for a bit more of a HR-like challenge, try playing with the -solo-net parameter, or get single-player co-op going in some way. We increased monster population and added extra weapons and ammo to account for the extra players. Perhaps that's more what you are looking for? Seeing one player take on the monsters intended for multiple players would be pretty impressive!

They don't. It's you who are running the wad with a stupid hi-res texture pack that overrides some textures with the same lump names..

kristus said:

They don't. It's you who are running the wad with a stupid hi-res texture pack that overrides some textures with the same lump names..

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not. Only thing installed is nashgore.wad. And there's really no need to be an asshole about it.

Edit: Just did a clean install of GZDoom. No mods at all. There is still a green waterfall turning into lava.

I like it. The "boss" in map07 was a pleasant surprise, and map11 is very nice for a non-ZDoom map. Some pretty cool texture+architecture use, I always like clashes between textures like the dark gray and the bright red and yellow/orange.

Map03 is amazing. Lots of genuinely surprising traps, and the map kept shifting itself around in ways I didn't expect at all. The two-archvile battle was a save/load-fest for me, though :P

My only real complaint so far is that some of the textures have godawful palettization that could have been avoided, either easily if 40oz would let me convince him to get Photoshop and learn the wonders of gradient maps, or with a bit more work to pixel the changes in. (Or at least, for some of them. For the tekwall recolors and such, good luck pixeling those :P )

So, awesome maps, great atmosphere, some texture yuckiness lets the appearance down somewhat here and there due to inefficient palette usage or inconsistent style. Not a huge deal, but maybe one of these days I will manage to convince 40oz that he's making his life unnecessarily hard by doing this stuff with MSPaint and IrfanView :)

Edit: Also, the bright highlight in the corner of that 64x64 grating flat/texture looks like someone went around the room strategically placing their toenail clippings. <_<

Subatomic said:

Edit: Just did a clean install of GZDoom. No mods at all. There is still a green waterfall turning into lava.

Obviously you didn't do it clean enough.

esselfortium said:

(Or at least, for some of them. For the tekwall recolors and such, good luck pixeling those :P )

Those could have been done better by using a more methodical method of recoloring. I dunno how they went about it. But if they simply put a "color" layer on top and saved in the Doom palette and used what they got. Then that's obviously the sloppiest way to do it. :p

EDIT: That being said, I want to give my 2cents on this.
I enjoy the gameplay, it's quite nice and fast when I play it. And I got enough ammo and health to allow myself to have some fun with the situations.

The visual design I am not too impressed with though. It looks ok, but I don't think it is particularly interesting as it's quite mundane and generic. There's no signs of thinking outside the box.