Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Collector

Doom game for Facebook

Open letter to id Software:

id Software and Doom are one of the most known names in the Video Gaming industry. Most of the Internet population is using Facebook and logging in at least once a day. Lately Facebook started to serve lots of games like Farmville which has millions of users and Farmville is just one example.

id Software creating games for mobile phones and Apple products like iPhone and iPod Touch. For example Doom II RPG just released. There are lots of web sites for Doom and sites like Moddb or doom3files are creating many mods for Doom. The Last Stand, Hexen are two of them and number of these mods are growing everyday.

Fans are working on not only Doom 3. Doom I and II aswell. Doom and Quake can be played on browsers with Flash. In short words, Doom is a really big franchise and we think it must be used within Facebook.

There are lots of games on Facebook. But why not Doom? A browser based FPS or FPS + RPG. I think the Doom games created for mobile platforms would look better on bigger screens and played by more users.

That's why we want Doom for Facebook. Please don't turn down this request of Doom fans. Please!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&gid=316795102702

Open letter to id software:

If you're going to make a browser-based version of Doom, please don't make it depend on Facebook, because doing so adds nothing.

Thanks

Likely because morons are too stupid to buy it off Steam and use this site for help.

A browser-based Doom would probably never happen -- they couldn't edit out the gore as easily as they did with Quake Live.

Who's "we" ? And for that matter, when did "a minority" become "most" ?

Phml said:

Who's "we" ? And for that matter, when did "a minority" become "most" ?

I love how people do that to make it sound like so many people either care, or even knew about this before hand lol.

OP: Is there something wrong with the Steam or XBL version of Doom?

Mr. Chris said:

OP: Is there something wrong with the Steam or XBL version of Doom?

He should ask Enjay that. (:

muffins.exe said:

A browser-based Doom would probably never happen -- they couldn't edit out the gore as easily as they did with Quake Live.

They edited out most of the gore in the GBA versions.

Well, they're demons or mutated humans, they can have green blood just like they can have red blood. I don't care.

Also, why so much anti-Facebook elitism here? Better have Doom, than not have it. Though it wouldn't make it if it's the same maps as the registered ones...

doomcu said:
Quake can be played on browsers with Flash.

If you're thinking of Quake Live, that runs mainly on Java, if I recall.

So that point is invalid.

Super Flip said:

If you're thinking of Quake Live, that runs mainly on Java, if I recall.

So that point is invalid.

And don't get me started on how there has never been any actually functional port of Doom in Java...

Actually it's Jake2 that is written in pure Java (a Quake 2 port). Quake Live runs on specially compiled, browser and platform specific plugins.

Besides, Facebook's games use AJAX, which makes it even more pointless.

printz said:

Also, why so much anti-Facebook elitism here? Better have Doom, than not have it.

I refer you to my original reply - I have nothing against a browser-based version of Doom, but there is no point in making it depend on Facebook. To do so would restrict the user base, or from another perspective, force people to use Facebook to play Doom.

What I don't understand is: why a "Facebook version" of Doom? What would be the point of that?

I daresay this idea will never be realized, owing to the nature of Doom as a fast, action-packed game. If you want a good Facebook game I suggest Dungeons and Dragons: Tiny Adventures.

Most of the Internet population is using Facebook

Do you mean those that hate meeting people in real life, so they meet people in real internet?

I LOL'ed and Facepalm'ed.

And no, please, don't make Doom to fall into such dark place...

Karnizero said:

And no, please, don't make Doom to fall into such dark place...

I'd shiver if there was a "Mafia Wars" or "Vampire Wars" version of Doom....and sadly that's how the most likely "port" of Doom for fb would look like.

I bought my copy of Doom in a shop. It's this big building with racks and racks of these things called "disks" which you put in that big drawer on your Facebook machine. Most of them let you do stuff which isn't on Facebook.

doomcu said:

Most of the Internet population is using Facebook...

How can you qualify that statement?

There is more to the Internet than Facebook. Take a look around once in a while. Use your search function, you never know what you might stumble across.

I daresay anyone with functional sex organs and/or a history of liking other people will be on facebook. Prove me wrong!

Yeah, facebook and myspace both can be good tools for networking and keeping in touch with friends. I don't understand the "hate" that either of them get, other than MySpace's notorious customizable profile pages inducing seizures and facepalm related concussions.

The only Doom Facebook application I can see are those: LOL WUT "insert dumb pop culture thing here" ARE YOU!?!!??!!!11". I can see it now.

"What Doom hellspawn are you?"

The Baron of Hell - A;LSDKJF; LASKJDF ;ALSDKFNA SIOUFBH;3IHYU098AHND;F LADFKJ;A;SFLK BECAUSE ;:":ALKJD:L KFJD : AND SHOOTS :SLDKJF D: UP YOUR :LAKJDS: FJ<>DMKJU89

And then pointless messages like "check out this app. i ama cyberdemon lolz. its like a goat robot that shoots lasers or sumthing"

I'm pretty sure someone here made one of those already. D;

fraggle said:

Open letter to id software:

If you're going to make a browser-based version of Doom, please don't make it depend on Facebook, because doing so adds nothing.

Thanks

Quoted for absolute, infallible, inimitable truth.

Yeah, I've got plenty of Doom right here on my comp. It's filed under C:/etc. Don't need it on facebook. The fact that facebook is actually viewed as more than a site for networking is downright stupid.

Also, all you haters need to recognize this group, which is undoubtedly the most pointless group on facebook seeing as, well... you know, there's already a website with forums and all.

Cjwright79 said:

I daresay anyone with functional sex organs and/or a history of liking other people will be on facebook. Prove me wrong!

Exhibit A: me.