Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aldaraia

'Ethereal Travel in Hexen [zdoom 2.4.1]

Never having finished this epic game, ever since being stuck in the 3rd hub a few months ago, I started a new game as a Cleric and am in the 2nd hub. Now, the problem is that the 'Ethereal Travel' screen with text about whatever the level is, doesn't appear. When I go through a portal to a level for the first time, I just go there instantly. I am using ZDoom 2.4.1 and I don't know if its some setting or what, but I always liked reading and learning about the locales.

Besides the bit of text that appears between hubs I'm fairly certain Hexen did not have a message for each level (that is outside of the N64 version). The only thing close to what you describe in the PC version that I remember is a gray box reading "Ethereal Travel" (at least as I recall that's what it said) that appeared while a level was loading. Of course the load time is so little these days that the image is no longer needed.

Yeah the prose about the locations in each level were a unique feature of the N64 port of Hexen.

Modern PC source ports load levels so quickly now that there is virtually no point to having any kind of screen or graphic or progress bars between the maps. "Ethereal Travel" sometimes doesn't even seem to appear at all in ZDoom, at least judging from some youtube videos I have watched.

Thanks for the explanations guys. It makes sense, I do have the N64 Hexen but never beat it since I didn't have a memory pak and was also too young to even beat it, must've gotten the two versions confused. Anyways, back to poisoning those pesky Centaurs and hopefully figuring out where I went wrong in Hub 3.

Ah yes, the N64 Hexen port. The only thing that ruined it was there were no graphics for those rising spikes when they were underground. That didn't stop me from completing the game on the hardest skill with all three classes.

always saw the spikes in the Nintendo 64 version as something intentional

and I did like the etheral travel text, set you in the mood if you ask me =)

[EDIT]
meant the Hexen64 loading screen with lore in them

Don't forget the PSX cutscene's. For shits and giggles I added them to Zdoom though movie playback screws up fullscreen but if you're bored. Extract to C, play from the hexen folder and alt+enter to get fullscreen back after movie ends.

Ahcruna said:

and I did like the etheral travel text, set you in the mood if you ask me =)

Indeed, Doomsday 1.8.6 had the ethereal travel graphic, but Deng team removed it in the 1.9 betas to make way for the globally used wheel :(

DaMan said:

Don't forget the PSX cutscene's. For shits and giggles I added them to Zdoom though movie playback screws up fullscreen but if you're bored. Extract to C, play from the hexen folder and alt+enter to get fullscreen back after movie ends.

I never knew Hexen PSX had these cutscenes, thanks for putting this together.