Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Romero is answerin' questions

Cool beans. Formspring is kind of shitty software right now, but it could prove to be an interesting site soon enough.

Oh dear. He said he prefers Steve Jobs over Bill Gates. What a tool. I freaking hate Steve Jobs. He's like a smarmy flower child.

Anyway I asked him if he's still friends with John Carmack -- the brains of the operation.

printz said:

Woah the Doomgod prefers ZDoom :/

Why does this disappoint you?

I was more disappointed that he prefers ZDaemon over Skulltag. :P

Left him a question regarding if he is still in contact with the major developers of Doom.

Gez said:

Because that's like the word of God. It invalidates whatever else!

[don't take me too seriously :) ]

Gez said:

Smuggery levels off the charts, perhaps?

Cjwright79 said:

Edit: lmao he changed the damn thing to a cartoon! Well at least he's open to criticism!

Perhaps you're open to this:

Stop posting

*slaps forehead*

I feel like I should easily have tons of questions for John Romero... but nothing seems to come to mind. Anyone else having this problem?

highlight:

do, and DM7 is my favorite map to start on. After that, DM4, DM2 and DM3. DM6 if we need more variety.

I spent hours the past 2 nights deathmatching in DOOM2, locally at my place.

I wonder what he DMed in.

I asked him the question about keeping up with the modding community. I would have namedropped more wads, but I couldn't fit any more in the box/think of any others in the few minutes I had at work to write it up. Shame he doesn't keep up with it, but I guess he's got other stuff to worry about.

I sent in a question about Daikatana... he hasn't answered that one.

Krispavera said:

but I guess he's got other stuff to worry about.

Yeah, this is from the site, heh. (I didn't ask it)

How much time weekly do you spend on wow/any mmo?

I spend about 4-5 hours on weeknights and 8-10 hours each weekend day/night. So that's about 45 hours a week.

I'm kind of sad, in a way. Maybe if MMOs didn't exist, he would make some more good games. :P

Err, is it me or does it look like Formspring.me just ate shit?

Nomad said:

Err, is it me or does it look like Formspring.me just ate shit?

It did.

Maybe our site traffic killed it.

Oh, works now. I'll bet they changed hosts and it took a bit for the DHCP info to trickle through the intertubes.

Site's up for me. Maybe if we keep drilling him, he'll give in, become one with the mapping community and we'll all be one big happy Doom family.

Asking him Doom-related questions actually leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel like every possible Doom question has already been asked, so there's little point. Also, when the question has an expectancy about it - eg. when we ask "Do you still play new Doom mods?" with the hope that he'll reply "Oh sure, all of 'em" - then I fear that the questions just come across as clingy, as if we need for The Romero to still feel a deep interest in his creation or else the magic will be gone from it forever. We shouldn't feel like that. We should be confident in the appropriateness of our obsession whether or not Romero still cares about Doom. There was a cult once where the founder and leader of the cult later converted to another well-established religion, but his followers didn't convert with him, instead choosing to continue to believe in and follow the tenets that the founder had originally established. These cultists claimed that their former leader was now unaware of the depth and truth of his own wisdom. That's how we should act.

Like crazy cultists.

I didn't have any good ideas for questions so I just asked, "Boxers or briefs?"

Considering that he still plays Doom basically daily, I doubt he minds the questions about it so much.

Creaphis said:

I will deliberately take a contrary position just for the sake of writing incredibly long arguments

Dude, your keyboard must have all the letters erased off from your constant typing.

Creaphis said:

I didn't have any good ideas for questions so I just asked, "Boxers or briefs?"

Mostly the same, though I was curious of what he thought was the better game, so I asked him "Heretic or Hexen?"

Mr. Freeze said:

Dude, your keyboard must have all the letters erased off from your constant typing.

Believe it or not I still haven't reconnected my internet at home, and am doing all my posting from a university computer lab. Whenver I wear out a keyboard I can just move one seat down.

This is somewhat the stuff I asked I don't remember exactly

I hear horror stories about developers working 168 hour weeks but then see old stuff from the id software office with you guys having fun and somewhat having a life. Which is it? Also, how bout that DoomEd source?

How do you keep the hair out of your eyes? (I hope he didn't take this one as an insult, I like his hair.)

Do you have a lot of free time? Do you feel it's worth it when things get crushingly busy?

Creaphis is sad

I try not to ask him Doom questions for this very reason, but I don't mind if others ask. He doesn't seem to mind them.

Plus, it is nice to see him still taking some interest in the game, especially with so many artists that hate their more popular works.

PRIMEVAL said:

He has good musical taste. Savatage is amazing, RIP Criss Oliva.

And the fact that he said that the concert must take place 25 years ago, when all those bands were still teenagers who had more heart than guitar skills and were still writing music full of energy, makes his taste in music even more awesome!

DuckReconMajor said:

Creaphis sad:

Oh no! We have to cheer him up!