Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

Random Monster Generator (DLoad 1st Post)

Download here:

(Version 1.0 01-April-2010)
http://two.xthost.info/doommod/Devilator.zip

Devilator is Random Monster Generator.
The idea is similar to the WIPs Map Idea Generator.

It works on Windows Systems, I think, without extra DLLs. If you have any problem with a missing DLL, you may download it from Internet, or ask me for it. If many of you need the same DLL, I will include into an updated package to avoid problems.

Some screens (last version):

The prefixes, sufixes, names and texts are now hardcoded, but I will add configuration files on future versions (I'm too lazy to do it now ;-)

Enjoy.

arround -> around

I laughed at the first screen when I reached "uses a Tesla Gun for secondary attacks".

Nice little program, will some future version be capable of generating DECORATE scripts as well? :)

GreyGhost said:

will some future version be capable of generating DECORATE scripts as well? :)

First thing I wondered too.

Minor spelling correction: habilities -> abilities

vdgg said:

I laughed at the first screen when I reached "uses a Tesla Gun for secondary attacks".

Why? It's completely normal for a Demon to wield Tesla Rifles. Doesn't have them arms and hands to use them? ;-P

While testing, I got once a monster that "looks like a Lost Soul" and uses a BFG as main attack.

vdgg said:

arround -> around

andrewj said:

Minor spelling correction: habilities -> abilities

Thanks for feedback. I will take rid of those misspellings for next version.

GreyGhost said:

Nice little program, will some future version be capable of generating DECORATE scripts as well? :)

andrewj said:

First thing I wondered too.

Like an "Oblige" but for Monsters?

The first idea I had about the program was a joke program, like something I saw somewhere that creates random map reviews.

But yes, I had that planned for a next incoming version.
At least, something that creates the base DDF/DECORATE monster and corresponding attacks.

As I told here, I will implement a EDGE DDF Generator, but also a DECORATE too.

Anyway, any other idea you have, will be taken into account.

Karnizero said:

"looks like a Lost Soul" and uses a BFG as main attack.

Wait, What? A lost soul that spits BFG balls? LOL

Anyway, Great work! Going to download it now
Looks good

Edit: It was quite fun, Just a few typos. But on some computers it show black in text fields.

Demon101 said:

Wait, What? A lost soul that spits BFG balls? LOL

Anyway, Great work! Going to download it now
Looks good

Edit: It was quite fun, Just a few typos. But on some computers it show black in text fields.

What do you refer with "it show black in text fields". Do you mean the background of the description text field?
Or if you refer to the "About" window, that is because I messed up a control. But it's solved in the next version.

Jimmy91 said:

I wanna see that Mutant King now. :D

I'm implementing a "Create Decorate" and "Create EDGE DDF".
The Second one is almost done.

But don't think it will create also the graphics for the monster (It would be nice a "create random pixels sprites, hehehe). I will modify only the palette remap (or translations) to make the monster look different. And well, will modify the health, size, speed and so on, according to the description.

Anyway, at first time, it will only create a DECORATE/DDF script, and you will have to manually create a PWAD, and insert the script by yourself. Well, I dont know if zDoom allows to load a DECORATE directly from a text file, with something like "-file XXXXX.txt". If this is true, the thing can be very easy to implement.
When I take a look at the Unofficial Doom Specs, I will add a "Create WAD" option.

I was really hoping this was going to be some kind of sprite generator when I saw the thread title :-)

Karnizero said:

Well, I dont know if zDoom allows to load a DECORATE directly from a text file, with something like "-file XXXXX.txt". If this is true, the thing can be very easy to implement.

The wiki knows all and tells all. Worship the wiki.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Archive_format "Single file: Also technically not an archive format, nevertheless a single lump can be loaded"

You don't even need to bother with "-file". zdoom decorate.txt is all you need.

fraggle said:

I was really hoping this was going to be some kind of sprite generator when I saw the thread title :-)

There is an option (there will be in this next version) to add and execute user-made Visual Basic Scripts to interact with the program, so you may create a VBScript to manipulate pixels into a PictureBox or Image Control.

Gez said:

The wiki knows all and tells all. Worship the wiki.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Archive_format "Single file: Also technically not an archive format, nevertheless a single lump can be loaded"

You don't even need to bother with "-file". zdoom decorate.txt is all you need.

Thanks for info. Very useful.

The first monster I got was a teleporting Cyberdemon with a BFG - with a shotgun for a backup attack. And you're supposed to take it down with the shotgun. :P

I also got Decapitator Witch of Corruption, which is a lost soul with 1000hp, claw attack, and plasma riffle.

"Monster is an unique boss" should be "a unique boss."

The only thing that annoyed me about this a little is you can't select the generated text, so you can't copy and paste.

sector666 said:

The first monster I got was a teleporting Cyberdemon with a BFG - with a shotgun for a backup attack. And you're supposed to take it down with the shotgun. :P

I also got Decapitator Witch of Corruption, which is a lost soul with 1000hp, claw attack, and plasma riffle.

"Monster is an unique boss" should be "a unique boss."

The only thing that annoyed me about this a little is you can't select the generated text, so you can't copy and paste.

Right click over the text field to show a nice popup menu.

fraggle said:

+1

Captain Toenail said:

This sounds funny, but I just get a black screen where the text box should be

What's your Windows Version?

Steeveeo said:

Agains -> Against

I'm going to release tomorrow a new version with some more features, without spelling errors and with a popup menu allowing to copy the text to the clipboard as plain text or as PHP Forum Text with markers.

Also solving the "black" field.

The "Export as EDGE DDF" and "DECORATE" options will be implemented later on.

"[This monster's] main attack is a Chainsaw" => "The player should fight against this monster with the Chainsaw."

Can't go wrong with some hot chainsaw on chainsaw action.

New version available.

Check out the first post to get it.

This last version contains:

-> 21 monster names, 23 monster prefixes, 21 monster sufixes, 43 bosses sufixes, 16 colors, 11 sizes, 21 attacks, 18 level types.
-> Some bugs, misspellings and issues removed.
-> Some code cleanup done.
-> Copy text to clipboard as plain text or PHP Forum Text.
-> Keyboard Shortcuts: Ctrl+C (plain text); Ctrl+F (forum text).
-> A new option: generate two different weapons to fight against the monster.
-> Added a status bar.
-> Added more monster info: "painchance"; "attack speed" for both attacks; "game type" where the monster can be battle (coop, SP, invassion, survival).

Grab it while it's hot!!! ;-)

====

ZeoƤwetor, Master of Suffering

- This monster looks godlike. He has around 20000 health points, and seems that he feels not much pain when is hit.
- He is similar to a Chaingunner but he looks more Orange and Gold.
- His attack is a Kamikaze attack, but he also uses a Poisonous projectile for secondary attacks.
- He attacks fast with his main attack, and slow with the secondary attack.
- He walks very slow.
- As special power, he can banish (stealth).
- You can find this monster into a huge Castle level type.
- The player should fight against this monster with the Plasma Rifle and the Chaingun.
- It is designed to be battled into a Single Player game.
Masterwitch of Death 

- This monster looks titanic. He has around 5000 health points, and seems that he feels not much pain when is hit.
- He is similar to an Arachnotron but he looks more Red and Magenta.
- His attack is a Fozen Bolt, but he also uses a Charge for secondary attacks.
- He attacks slow with his main attack, and fast with the secondary attack.
- He walks normal.
- As special power, he can respawn friends.
- You can find this monster into a Wood and Marble Temple level type.
- The player should fight against this monster with the Chainsaw and the Chaingun.
- It is designed to be battled into a Cooperative game.
Flesh Elemental 

- This monster looks incredible huge. He has around 2000 health points, and seems that he feels extremly pain when is hit.
- He is similar to an Imp but he looks more Grey and Cyan.
- His attack is a Fozen Bolt.
- He attacks normal.
- He walks very fast.
- You can find this monster into a Wolfenstein level type.
- The player should fight against this monster with the Pistol.
- It is designed to be battled into a Survival game.

What exactly is a "kamikaze" attack type? If it means running up to the player and exploding to do damage, isn't it a bit odd to have a boss with 20000 hp do that?

How are the attributes related to one another when you generate the monster? Simply creating a list of attributes that are all completely random doesn't seem all that useful. The different characteristics of the monster should relate to one another in a meaningful way, then the generated monsters would make more sense.