Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Please check out my WAD, Awakening

I've just released a single level for the Ultimate DOOM, playable with ZDoom. it just got loaded up to /newstuff. it's called Awakening, with the zip file titled aaawake.zip. Give the level a go if you have the chance.

Here are a couple random screens

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100330_183723.png

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/emilharold/Screenshot_Doom_20100330_183615.png

it can be d/l'd here

ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pc/msdos/games/idgames/newstuff/

thanks,

NT

have to admit I got lost in the map for a while, and it was a while before i saw any monsters.

I'll post again when I've played through the whole map tomorrow (bit late over here at the moment)

You're going to want to reserve at LEAST 45 minutes for your first run-through; this level is MASSIVE in every sense of the word...

I really like the concept and scope of this level. It's freaking huge! The details are great and varied, and I love the music. I haven't gotten all the way through it yet, I was kinda taken off guard when the huge fight started (which was pretty awesome).

Job well done, NaturalTvventy.

You ain't kidding! I was buzzing around the map, enjoying the scenery, pushing a button here, a switch there, picking up weapons and keys and wondering if all the monsters were pussies, hiding away from my awesome Doom skills. Then things changed. In an instant. Suddenly I was the pussy, running for my life.

I love this map! And the music is great too.

Just finished this map, and i knew it was supposedly large, but jesus!

I did it on UV, and it was pretty damn hard, more than to what i generally anticipated. Although i have to say, it's more frustrating on this skill, because in places enemies are just crammed (and by this i mean too many being locked in tight rooms until woken, unable to advance the player properly at first), and in certain sections of the map (the conveyor belt area for example), you have to repeatedly watch your step, and that isn't easy when you're up against 2 ultra fucking mental baron thingamabobs. Ammo was very tight throughout the map, and during my run it made me miss having the super shotgun for use, being for Doom 1 and all.

Overall though i quite liked it! nice layout, not linear so to speak, full of surprises, and a definite challenge on UV. I recommend for anyone who wants an ass kicking.

Wow, you guys are too kind. I'm glad it is being enjoyed. Fenriswolf, I think it took me about 8 months, and it was usually how I spent my free time.

Yes it's pretty tough on UV. originally I was going to make it a completely BOOM-compatible map, but due to various bugs (such as conveyors moving at different speeds and thus totally breaking the voodoo dolls) eventually I just said F-it and made it ZDoom compatible and added a bunch of tough ZDoom-exclusive monsters. It's a little easier on hurt me plenty with just the classic monsters, and that's how the level was originally meant to be played. Not that much easier though :)

Thanks again guys.

NT

I fired it up earlier today and got totally eaten up in the very first monster encounter! Those chainsaw zombies were gruesome! I'm gonna have to give this one another try tomorrow. Good stuff, really!

Oh, and the thing with the buildings in the skyline? That was awesome. Maybe I haven't played lots of Wads, but that was a great detail that I hadn't seen before.

Dittohead said:

Forgot to ask, is there co-op?

nope, sorry, it wouldn't work with all that goes on. (being locked in an area until you hit a switch inside that area to get out, fake room-over-rooms, etc).

Very nice map, I enjoyed it.

I sometimes forget how cool Doom 1 maps can be, especially with all of the e1 textures/flats and the original monster gameplay.

Well done!

Dittohead said:

Very nice map, I enjoyed it.

I sometimes forget how cool Doom 1 maps can be, especially with all of the e1 textures/flats and the original monster gameplay.

yea I generally prefer Doom1 gameplay over Doom2 myself. With chaingunners, revenants, pain elementals, and arch viles, not to mention the slow reload time of the SSG, you spend a lot of time hiding behind walls in Doom2. In the orginal doom you have a little more freedom to run around, which I like. I usually tried to maintain that freedom with the new monsters I utilized.

this level is pretty awesome. lots of funky little details. the only thing i hated was the nukage pits. if one could get out of them it would be better, but otherwise, i really liked this one :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Fuckin' loving that second screenshot, makes me want to download it. Then I read all the praise in this thread, which makes me want to play it. I will be doing that shortly.

So I've made some tweaks to this WAD since my release. mostly just aesthetic errors i've found, but also a couple monster tweaks to improve the flow. is it bad manner to re-release a WAD a week after releasing it with fixes? it'll be the first and last time, i swear :):)

NaturalTvventy said:

So I've made some tweaks to this WAD since my release. mostly just aesthetic errors i've found, but also a couple monster tweaks to improve the flow. is it bad manner to re-release a WAD a week after releasing it with fixes? it'll be the first and last time, i swear :):)

I shouldn't worry about that but ask to remove the previous version from the archives in your textfile

All-righty, well I plan on re-releasing this WAD one more time with some bug fixes and balancing. If you have found anything that needs fixing please let me know so I can include them!

currently I've changed

-a few texture misalignments or wrong textures

-looking out the above window from the STARBRN room does not cut off view the tower anymore

-added teleporters to the conveyor room so falling into the slime pits isn't instant death.

-added chainsaw to middle room on UV so that you don't have to pick one up mid-fight

-reduced the number of sergeants in the first battle and replaced them with rapid-fire troopers

-added an invisibility in the 'fake floor' computer room of the first battle

-health and ammo tweaks.

let me know if there's anything thing else I missed or that could/should be improved!

Thanks,

Emil

I swear that is one of the greatest DOOM levels I have ever played.

Pure atmosphere, and then, once you get to the center, nonstop intensity.

I mean, just looking at the layout of the map - this is something that obviously took a lot of planning before you even touched the editor.

This is one of those maps I can play, die, play, die, play, die, and keep trying for hours. :D

GREAT WORK!

NaturalTvventy said:

Awesome:) Hope you get somewhere with all that death... :) UV?

Of course. I wasn't going to play without the new monsters.

Eventually I was able to get past the first epic fight, from there it gets fairly nonlinear. The conveyor belt room with the green imps and barrels is insane! I think I'll give it another go later today.

yea everyone seems to be having problems with that room. you just gotta hang out near the yellow door, running to the center for a bit to let the baddies herd toward you. eventually you can run into the covered side areas where the 6 barrels are. easy shmeezy. I'm going to release a new versions soon with teleporters in the slime.

NT