Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've finished my new map (I haven't been playing anything so I would have posted it up awhile back).

Download - http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/InviDog.zip

I have named it "Inviolable Dogma". It is alot better than my previous map. I have put alot more effort into it, and everything I have learned since my previous map has helped me improve upon this one. Let me know what you think.

screenshots arent working with doomworld right now so I wont be able to put one up. I know im doing it correctly...

Well it's kinda interesting, with some ok fights and a decent switch complex near the end which made me think I broke the map for a second. There were a lot of meh things though, starting with the beginning maze being bland startan, then an underwater switch that took a little bit to sink down into (didn't bother configuring by new version of skulltag for mouselook yet, heh), which interrupted play a lot, and the nasty low brightness of everything afterward - really anything under 128 is just too dark for most monitors, and using the darkness permanently just doesn't add anything. Also in the very end a lot of sectors have a ceiling going near to the floor, which makes it looks like you mistagged something instead of an effect. There's really nothing wrong nor amazing with the gameplay, but aesthetics and architecture could have been done a lot better.

E: oh yeah, the music doesn't really fit, doom or this map. I just turned it off after a bit ...

I kinda liked it. But it was a bit too big for it's own good. What I mean by that is that everything felt kinda flat. Sometimes it felt a bit too "wolfensteiny".

Pros and cons?

Pros:

- The toxic X-shaped area where you push buttons and lower the opposite wall, and enemies come out. I liked that area! Classic Doom.

- I don't mind the darkness. But maybe it was one level too dark, or so. I thought it was interesting and made it a bit hectic.

- The final switch hunt was interesting.

Cons:

- I kinda felt that it was basicly just a bunch of tall corridors linking together a bunch of large dark rooms. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't get a clear view of the area while running through the map. I like the feeling when you get a sense of the world, but it was a bit tough navigating this one because a lot looked the same.

- I by no means crave hyperdetail, and infact I think detail in Doom maps often get a bit out of hand. But some wouldn't hurt. Like if there's a super shotgun in a room, highlight it by having it stand on a slightly raised platform. Stuff like that.

- I also agree on the music. I didn't mind it, but it felt kinda out of place.

ArmouredBlood said:

Well it's kinda interesting, with some ok fights and a decent switch complex near the end which made me think I broke the map for a second. There were a lot of meh things though, starting with the beginning maze being bland startan, then an underwater switch that took a little bit to sink down into (didn't bother configuring by new version of skulltag for mouselook yet, heh), which interrupted play a lot, and the nasty low brightness of everything afterward - really anything under 128 is just too dark for most monitors, and using the darkness permanently just doesn't add anything. Also in the very end a lot of sectors have a ceiling going near to the floor, which makes it looks like you mistagged something instead of an effect. There's really nothing wrong nor amazing with the gameplay, but aesthetics and architecture could have been done a lot better.

E: oh yeah, the music doesn't really fit, doom or this map. I just turned it off after a bit ...

thank you for your effort to play the map and post your opinion on it. yeah the song had that strange vocalist in the beginning. I probably should have cut that part out, for Im sure the rest of the song was suitable for the game, or atleast had more than what the beginning had to offer. as for the end, the fences didnt provide any detail at all, and I did frustrate with that. lastly, I tried to make the ceilings at the end crushers but I didnt have any luck with that so I made them fall to the floor in order to block those areas. the point of that was to lead you through the remaining trail, up to the yellow key door.

EvilNed said:

I kinda liked it. But it was a bit too big for it's own good. What I mean by that is that everything felt kinda flat. Sometimes it felt a bit too "wolfensteiny".

Pros and cons?

Pros:

- The toxic X-shaped area where you push buttons and lower the opposite wall, and enemies come out. I liked that area! Classic Doom.

- I don't mind the darkness. But maybe it was one level too dark, or so. I thought it was interesting and made it a bit hectic.

- The final switch hunt was interesting.

Cons:

- I kinda felt that it was basicly just a bunch of tall corridors linking together a bunch of large dark rooms. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I didn't get a clear view of the area while running through the map. I like the feeling when you get a sense of the world, but it was a bit tough navigating this one because a lot looked the same.

- I by no means crave hyperdetail, and infact I think detail in Doom maps often get a bit out of hand. But some wouldn't hurt. Like if there's a super shotgun in a room, highlight it by having it stand on a slightly raised platform. Stuff like that.

- I also agree on the music. I didn't mind it, but it felt kinda out of place.

the only reason I made the darkness so low was to embrace the light source's intensity. but yeah now that you say that, I'll try to stay away from it. I am also convinced now that the second room (bridge with toxic pool), was too large and too dark. Overall, I tried -.-

Contorted_Extirpation said:

lastly, I tried to make the ceilings at the end crushers but I didnt have any luck with that so I made them fall to the floor in order to block those areas. the point of that was to lead you through the remaining trail, up to the yellow key door.

Problem with that, is the way doom renders upper textures when two adjoining sectors have F_SKY as the flat, which results in the sky-in-window effect so that you're just looking at sky. I don't think lowering the ceiling was really necessary, as the map wasn't long enough for me to forget seeing the yellow key in the beginning, although some players might miss it. Moving the yellow key door section to on the last bend before going into the nukage room so players see it and not bother blocking anything off would work better imo. If you don't want to do that just putting another walkover line to raise the floor to the ceiling instead of lowering the ceiling would work.

ArmouredBlood said:

Problem with that, is the way doom renders upper textures when two adjoining sectors have F_SKY as the flat, which results in the sky-in-window effect so that you're just looking at sky. I don't think lowering the ceiling was really necessary, as the map wasn't long enough for me to forget seeing the yellow key in the beginning, although some players might miss it. Moving the yellow key door section to on the last bend before going into the nukage room so players see it and not bother blocking anything off would work better imo. If you don't want to do that just putting another walkover line to raise the floor to the ceiling instead of lowering the ceiling would work.

yeah I get what your saying. Quite a bit of time has passed by since I've started this thread, introducing this shitty example of a map my cat could have made -.-

lol basically, I look back on it now and realise it was a complete waste of time to make. Theres really nothing good about it.

Contorted_Extirpation said:

yeah I get what your saying. Quite a bit of time has passed by since I've started this thread, introducing this shitty example of a map my cat could have made -.-

lol basically, I look back on it now and realise it was a complete waste of time to make. Theres really nothing good about it.

Learn from it. You can make better maps now that you're more experienced. That's the way it works!

TheUltimateDoomer said:

Learn from it. You can make better maps now that you're more experienced. That's the way it works!

yeah I guess. thanks for the support. I'll probably start on a new map some time soon.