Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

UAC Ultra released! (v1.2 final)

ArmouredBlood said:

prboom+ plays the midi and coughs at the end then loops, not sure if it's a performance prob on my 2+ yr old laptop or something messed with the midis

I had this problem with almost all wads and prboom+ on my laptop while I had Vista, but once I installed Win7 the issue pretty much disappeared.

I have just played the whole thing on hmp and it was very...well...Quake2ish and dark(in a good way). Every map was great, the new custom enemy was very neat looking(looks like a Cyberdemon/Maulotaur hybrid) and the music choice was awesome. Both of y'all did a fantastic job on this mapset :D

Just got the chance to start playing through this, and I'm really getting into it. There is a definite Q2 feel about the level design, and I just LOVE the door textures! TeamTNT definitely missed a trick there :D

Shaping up to be a really atmospheric and fun piece of work - good job so far!

Half-way through, seems pretty cool so far. Nice battles and good secrets, but there seems to be too much ammo on HMP.

I'm also having the music issues (zdoom 2.4.1). It does loop, but only after a long delay - or perhaps the tracks are supposed to be longer but their last parts aren't played properly.
As for the textures, I must admit that while I don't think the theme is bad, the monotonous colors cause some sort of motion sickness or at least make it somewhat strenuous for my eyes. Increasing gamma a little helped. Areas with contrasting colors, like the red tech ones, are fine.

I was doing some research (that means, shamelessly looking in a map editor) in order to find out the BFG secret in MAP05. I didn't find the BFG itself but what I found was: linedefs 3110-3113 have a teleport action assigned + tag 46. No sector has tag 46. Did I miss something?

vdgg said:

Did I miss something?

I'm a massive jerk and hid two S1 switches and two shoot switches off the automap, they are textured with numbers 1 to 4 when you hit them and you need to hit all four to get the BFG. Switch 4 opens the teleporter and there's a little visual easter-egg when you grab the BFG too. iirc the tags are 91 to 94, or I can post hints or an outright spoiler of where they are if you like :)

As you wish, I made a run in -nomonsters and got it! thanks. (Like in Jens Nielsen's levels, it is (Chrozoron's quote) "an unfindable one"). Anyway, I had found the tags 91-94 but I assumed I had to get back to the start through another teleporter (room with cacos and candelabras).

Hey everybody, I just wanted to take a moment to tell ya guys how excited I am about this release and that I'm certain that I can speak for both me an Super Jamie that we had a fucking blast making this wad for you all.

Super Jamie and I work fabulously together, we had a lot of fun combining our efforts into every map to create something exciting, fun to play and visually appealing. I am highly interested in continuing our cooperative mapping duo to create many more doom projects and I would also like to make a note that a UAC Ultra 2 is very likely to happen sometime in the future. :)

Thanks for playing guys, I hope you enjoyed playing it as much as we did making it!!

40oz said:

I would also like to make a note that a UAC Ultra 2 is very likely to happen sometime in the future. :)

Awesome :>
Keep up the good work !

Edit @ Jamie : Heh, you're welcome :)

Thanks [WH]-Wilou84 for posting this up on the French Doom Community forums too, spreading the word is appreciated :)

Well guys I just finished it for the first time. Played it through on UV, and it started out relatively easy, but man it got rough around the final few levels. You guys sure love pulling archviles out of nowhere!

Have to say that MAP10 could quite possibly be one of the greatest Doom maps ever created. That long outdoor stretch of insane fights and balancing my radiation suit was just pure gameplay bliss. Congratulations on your crowning achievement, and my personal pick for best wad of 2010 (at least so far).

I was playing these maps and I was inspired to make a UACULTRA guns mod for ZDoom. I also feel that the gore should be enhanced slighly to accomodate this. Otherwise nice work :D

Finished it, good stuff. A few challenging battles, but always fair. The tree thing looked badass.

Well done 40oz and Super Jamie. :)

There are still some bugs , if interested ...

map 01 - Sectors 7 and 8 should also have been damaging sectors.

map 05 - The secret at sector 579 is impossible to get.

map 06 - If using a port like zdoom or risen3d, it is possible for the player to be trapped at sector 660 where line 1671 is. This is achieved if the player is at sector 271, and runs over the floor lamp to get to sector 652 and then falls down where line 1671 is.

map 09 - Unable to get 100% kills on easy or medium skill, since teleport things 104, 296, 202, 366 and 137 are not flagged easy or medium.

I really like the final boss (OH YOU KNOW WHY), plus the overall pacing of this set is pretty dang swell

y'all did super swell on this, if you need another disgusting thingy for like a sequel, you let me know C:

Chrono_T said:

y'all did super swell on this, if you need another disgusting thingy for like a sequel, you let me know C:

I'm glad you said that. It's pretty likely. I was drawing stuff today to see if I could come up with any cool scary monster designs and they all turned out to be ripoffs of boss monsters from other games. We'll keep in touch.

I've always thought somebody should make a boss that's based on the depiction of Satan in Dante's Inferno - a three-headed dragon half-frozen into a block of ice.

@Jamie: I've sent you a PM.

I'm still playing through this and loving every second of it. It started off relatively easy but the difficulty curve is just right and it's pretty challenging overall so far!

Even though I haven't finished this yet, I'd love to see a sequel all the same.

EDIT: THERE IS NO BUG. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO EXPLORE.

Pretty fun mapset so far. The levels look amazing, and gameplay isn't half bad either.

I cannot scrounge up enough positive words to describe how overwhelmingly awesome this level pack is. Your levels fit the true nature of Doom, keeping over-the-top switch hunting under control and concentrating on what matters most: kicking some serious demon ass. All of this is achieved while looking gorgeous without going into Tormentor667 mode.

The only thing I didn't like was losing all my weapons after that death-exit level, including my BFG which took hours to figure out how to find, and I also have the MIDI problem that everyone else is describing, its not the source port that is causing it because I have played other WADs with custom MIDIs and they looped successfully. No big deal though. I voted this for best WAD of the year, beating out Speed of Doom and others, which blew my mind as well.

Cheers :)

mammajamma said:

The secret in sector 383 in MAP04 is impossible to reach.

You have to activate the switch in that room that reveals all the cacodemons to get to that secret.

40oz said:

You have to activate the switch in that room that reveals all the cacodemons to get to that secret.

How stupid of me. Thanks.

Hmmm... surprised that no one else has mentioned this so maybe it's just me. When playing ver 1.2 with either Zdoom or GZdoom, map07 cannot be completed. After killing the arachnotrons, not all of the mancubuses/bi enter the arena. One is stuck in a hidden sector, unable to get over a wall as far as I can tell. So, you can't kill them all so the mancubus triggered action never happens. Also, even if you noclip and kill the mancubus then the bosses, when you enter the exit voodoo doll lift, it doesn't move and the level doesn't end (though a similar ending in other maps does work).

I have played it in prboom-plus and Risen3D and it worked so is it a Zdoom problem, a UAC Ultra problem or do I just need a compat option of some kind?

We did encounter a ZDoom related problem a while back due to how ZDoom and Boom handle scrolling floors differently, but I know for a fact that I created a little hole so that the mancubus could hear you fight the arachnatrons, and meander onto a scrolling floor which sends him into a teleport which fixed it. It worked in Skulltag and i just tried it now in ZDoom 2.4.1 and worked as well.

1. Are you using the most recent version of ZDoom?

2. Did you customize the compatflags to things other than the defaults? I wonder if 'Monsters get stuck over dropoffs' might cause a problem.

3. Was the mancubus awoken by your fight with the arachnatrons? Did you somehow defeat the arachnatrons without firing at all?