Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArmouredBlood

Transferring a sky texture to the floor of a 'create fake ceiling/floor' sector

I'm making a boom map and want an effect of having the player walking over a grate set over an underground pit of lava, in kind of a geothermal generator complex. The sector is within a corridor that connects to the pit on the sides, so it'll seem it's suspended over it. So far I've gotten everything in the corridor to work except getting the sky texture transferred - instead I get AASHITTY or whatever it's called. I've got the pit sectors tagged for the create fake floors and transfer sky, and the dummy sectors tagged for the transfer sky too. Haven't tried changing the light by 1 yet, but I doubt that'd work.

So ... any ideas on what I did wrong?

E: Also skulltag makes it a HoM. And I just tried making the ceiling of the sector sky ... also HoMs -.-

Alright, tried different brightness, and without F_SKY for the ceiling of any sector and it still HoMs. Am I forcing boom linedefs to work in way they aren't supposed to? cause if so I'm going to have to resort to the line bridges like in map01 of scythe 2, and I don't understand those very well.

I think the sky texture on the sidedef you have the sky special on has to be on the UPPER texture, not the middle.

EDIT:

http://ptoing.net/post/doom/abbridge.wad

OK, this is as close as I got to something simple and working :)

Of course you can not walk below the bridge and it could need more lines, but you do not need any funky self-referencing sectors and it is easy enough to set up.

Also make sure to also give lower textures to the ends of the bridge (linedef 12 and 14 in my example map)

Hope this helps.

Ah thanks a lot ptoing, didn't know it had to be on the upper sidedef vs. the middle -.- Works fine now, just need to settle on a texture that conveys there is a pit below you, heh.

didnt TNT evilution team use that techique to make their invisible floors and invisible walls? i sue this stuff aswell long ago, on a crazy wad.

D_GARG said:

didnt TNT evilution team use that techique to make their invisible floors and invisible walls? i sue this stuff aswell long ago, on a crazy wad.

On Eternal DOOM? Perhaps. But not on Evilution. This is a BOOM technique, and Evilution is a Vanilla WAD.

Spleen said:

On Eternal DOOM? Perhaps. But not on Evilution. This is a BOOM technique, and Evilution is a Vanilla WAD.

aha ok, i thought evilution developed and used boom stuffs, like deep water