Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Video game sequels with stupid plots

Games always seem to have the best plots in their original forms, and their sequels always seem to twist the plot into some horrible farfetched storyline that hardly has anything to do with the original. This doesn't always make a bad game, but it does if you get buried in the game's story.

Here's some examples:

Streets of Rage - what originally started as 3 former police officers who quit the force as the city had been overrun by an underground crime organization, twists into where the leader of the crime organization hires scientists to create robots in a factory to take over the city in streets of rage 3. What the hell? What happened to just beating up red light district thugs?

Half-Life - I kinda got the gist of the plot when playing half-life 1. Scientists create some giant machine to understand alternate dimensions, experiment goes wrong, creates a rift in the space-time continuum, scientists call for help, the 'help' comes to kill everyone on sight. I played through half-life 2 twice and still have found that game to have no relevance to the plot of half-life 1.

Maybe we should make a stupid sequel plots generator?

I actually really liked Half-Life 2. The plot wasn't a ripoff of Doom's like the original game. It was really fun running around a dystopian city that is being controlled by alien forces. The plot actually does tie in with the first one quite a bit, but it's a bit vague about it and the plot really does take a 90 degree turn.

As for game sequels that don't mesh up, how about the Quake series (aside from 2 and 4)?

Modern Warfare 2. NONE of the plot twists in that game made any sense whatsoever, and the entire tone of the game shifted from CoD4's tense Tom Clancy-style political thriller (where I could actually believe that a group of Russian ultra-nationalists would want to start a war) into a Michael Bay summer blockbuster (okay, so leaving a dead American undercover agent at the scene of a massacre at a Russian airport is apparently enough for Russia themselves to start invading suburban Washington DC? Why was Captain Price imprisoned in an old-ass Siberian gulag? How does nobody know a thing about General Shepard's grand designs except for two British SAS operatives and a Russian terrorist?).

FEAR 2. Seriously I loved FEAR 1. FEAR 2's story was unnecessary, and whatever happened to the prototype? And why was that second administrator so evil? and how did they give Beckett the power of the prototypes? Bleh.

Bioshock 2. 'nuff said.

Half-Life 2: I didn't see how the plot of Half-Life 1 connected to 2 in any way shape or form.

Diablo 2. In Diablo 1, you defeated Diablo, then he turned around and took over the hero, and the new hero has to defeat him again in Diablo 2. I hope they don't pull this for Diablo 3, and actually come up with a new, interesting boss.

40oz said:

Streets of Rage - what originally started as 3 former police officers who quit the force as the city had been overrun by an underground crime organization, twists into where the leader of the crime organization hires scientists to create robots in a factory to take over the city in streets of rage 3. What the hell? What happened to just beating up red light district thugs?

This!

Plus, in 3 he's simply a brain in a jar and has robots built in his image, i mean, what the heck? From a believable dark urban tail, to a science fiction acid trip. I absolutely love the first game, but the second and third just fell right off the tracks as you say. I still own the first two however.

Danarchy said:

As for game sequels that don't mesh up, how about the Quake series

Good call. I remember being turned off by the quake franchise for how much it deviated from Quake 1.

Also another one was Red Faction. Both games are great, but in Red Faction 1, you're a miner on Mars who's invloved in a miner rebellion against the "Ultor" corporation that runs the mineshafts. In Red Faction 2, it takes place sometime further into the future, where the red faction is less an entire miner's rebellion and more just a squad of like 6 people, and all the weapons are modified with nanotechnology, as well as all the enemy soldiers. I don't even know what the hell is going on there.

WildWeasel said:

(okay, so leaving a dead American undercover agent at the scene of a massacre at a Russian airport is apparently enough for Russia themselves to start invading suburban Washington DC?

It's a heinous act of Terrorism which is the only pre-text needed for war in our modern times. Don't tell me that if individuals from a terrorist cell in a middle eastern country did a machine gun massacre at JFK airport that the US wouldn't go bootfuck all of said country in a hearbeat.

WildWeasel said:

Why was Captain Price imprisoned in an old-ass Siberian gulag?

The gulag is described as a place to house prisoners that are too important to kill. So one would assume he's housed there on the basis of knowledge and/or political leverage that is of importance to the Russians.

WildWeasel said:

How does nobody know a thing about General Shepard's grand designs except for two British SAS operatives and a Russian terrorist?).

There's probably some reason that I forget that's described in a mission or FMV. But I'm too lazy to look, so I'll say you bring up a very valid point. I'm sure it has something to do with his "blank cheques" and maintaining secrecy on the basis of a false sense of loyalty/patriotism, followed by bribery, and failing those; murder.

Why did Price want to shoot the missile off again? I remember playing campaign and having no idea what the fuck was going on... you know what? Can someone explain that whole game's plot? Impossible, yes.

By detonating the nuke above the earth's atmosphere it serves the same purpose of an EMP. Radiation from said explosion gets blocked by lower levels of the atmosphere. This cripples all the electronics in Washington to slow down the Russian invasion.

40oz said:

Half-Life[/b] - I kinda got the gist of the plot when playing half-life 1. Scientists create some giant machine to understand alternate dimensions, experiment goes wrong, creates a rift in the space-time continuum, scientists call for help, the 'help' comes to kill everyone on sight. I played through half-life 2 twice and still have found that game to have no relevance to the plot of half-life 1.

I agree, and s already mentioned, even though I find HL1 the better of the two, HF1 was a spiritual copy of DOOM. or rather the "scientist makes portal = all heal breaks out" thing.

Maes said:

Maybe we should make a stupid sequel plots generator?

I would love that =p !

Spleen said:

Diablo 2. In Diablo 1, you defeated Diablo, then he turned around and took over the hero, and the new hero has to defeat him again in Diablo 2. I hope they don't pull this for Diablo 3, and actually come up with a new, interesting boss.

I actually thought that was a perfect seaquel, since you already got an explanation why you got the seaquel in the first place. (not counting the expansion which was nothing you really had to have in Diablo 1.) I really hope Diablo III (and/or expansions) ends the saga.

Other then that, Blood II was a stupid seaquel imo. I feel they either need to make a 3rd one to redeem them self's or (back in time thought) they should have left Blood 1 alone.

Spleen said:

What's stupid? The hero of the last game defeated Diablo, put the crystal in his head, and lost self-control resulting in Diablo resurrecting.

Ahcruna said:

I actually thought that was a perfect seaquel, since you already got an explanation why you got the seaquel in the first place. (not counting the expansion which was nothing you really had to have in Diablo 1.) I really hope Diablo III (and/or expansions) ends the saga.

Diablo 3's reasoning for Diablo will be weird seeing as the hero of Diablo 2 destroyed the crystal.

Ahcruna said:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the game. I just thought the plot was silly. :P

Technician said:

Diablo 3's reasoning for Diablo will be weird seeing as the hero of Diablo 2 destroyed the crystal.

Yeah I know!. I will seriously get angry if they recycle the "good person turns bad" (aka Tyrael is the new Diablo) thing.

Blizzard games have had that thing going on for too long imo.

Spleen said:

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the game. I just thought the plot was silly. :P

It actually was =p

Ahcruna said:

Yeah I know!. I will seriously get angry if they recycle the "good person turns bad" (aka Tyrael is the new Diablo) thing.

Blizzard games have had that thing going on for too long imo.

There's actually a lot of clues in Daiblo II that that might be what happens.

And yes, Blizzard pulls that shit way to often. It would be surprising if something like that DIDN'T happen.

POTGIESSER said:

It's a heinous act of Terrorism which is the only pre-text needed for war in our modern times.

In MW2's case, all but one of the perpetrators was Russian, being lead by the worlds most wanted. They would have been seen on camera as they made their way through the airport.

Every C&C game after Tiberian Sun. Even TS was pushing it. Generals doesn't count. That was only C&C in name, and it was a better game too.

TheDarkArchon said:

In MW2's case, all but one of the perpetrators was Russian, being lead by the worlds most wanted. They would have been seen on camera as they made their way through the airport.

If you're carrying LMGS into an airport you're not really concerned about being recorded. CIA operative collaborating with the world's most wanted in a killing spree, caught on tape. Now if you're suggesting that Makarov snuffing the operative would've been caught on the airport security cameras in a more realistic scenario, I don't debate that plausibility.

That still wouldn't change atrocities of the Operative acting on the interests of the American government.

Not actual video game, but the Darkening 2 Doom episode definitely counts.

Heretic 2

And by the way, Deckard Cain is going to be the new Diablo.

Ichor said:

Good riddance. I hope they'll make a Diablo 4 without him now.

Bank said:

Starcraft 2's art direction is just WoW in space and I don't like it.

why I hate blizzard

Ichor said:

Heretic 2

Archangel Tyrael corrupted from the worldstone explosion would've been a better choice.

Quake 4.

Not the plot per se, but the way the protagonist marine characters were turned from 300lb almost indestructible one man armies into 180lb regular Joes who rely on teamwork lest their puny rear ends get annihilated. Bah.

That and a hundred other details about the game made it very un-Quake.