Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Is TF2 really that good?

I'm sick of hearing about it, so I figured I'd ask the Doomworld community what their take on it is.

Is there anything remarkable it offers that DOOM couldn't, or is it just a combination of hype, popularity, and zomg-graphics?

I don't think it's worth making the effort of dramatically restructuring my teenage life so that I may have the opportunity to play an FPS that's "amazing" at the moment.

eh, it's ok. be prepared to spend a few hours on an achievement server to get the whole experience though.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

a combination of hype, popularity, and zomg-graphics

Pretty much this, spliced with some over the top, cartoony humor that can get old pretty quick.

It was actually really fun until they started with their item system where you have to grind stupid things to get alternate weapons. The problem was complicated even further when the more recent equips aren't tied to any achievements, so you basically have to be a lucky man to get the 'full experience'.

In a nutshell, you'll probably enjoy it, because it's different. It's way different than Doom, but it's hugely popular so you'll probably get some kicks out of it. At the core of the game, I think it's fun. Many people like myself often get hung up on the extra stuff Valve has done with it. As long as you avoid that, it's a good time.

I used to play TFC a lot... I was so sad when I heard they took out the Medic's AIDS gun :(

Got into the PS3 version not too long ago, very fun, but I suck at it. I used to play original Team Fortress LONG ago.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
the_lurker said:

wtf you guys talking about. fucking epic. play now.

No.

Use3D said:

I used to play original Team Fortress LONG ago.

Please tell me you mean the one for Quake and not TFC.

exp(x) said:

Please tell me you mean the one for Quake and not TFC.

That's right, on a 14.4 modem lol...hey I still have that I'm sure.

Let me put it this way.

Is TF2 worth about a thousand dollars for a competent computer, $20 for the game itself, INSTALLING STEAM (which I ardently loathe), and any other complications that arise...

is it worth all that when I already have the greatest FPS ever made?

No, fuck that, the greatest GAME ever made.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

INSTALLING STEAM (which I ardently loathe)

Could you go back to 2004 please thx

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Let me put it this way.

Is TF2 worth about a thousand dollars for a competent computer, $20 for the game itself, INSTALLING STEAM (which I ardently loathe), and any other complications that arise...

is it worth all that when I already have the greatest FPS ever made?

You mean Doom? Back when a Pentium 1 would easily cost you twice as much as a top-of-the-line computer today? A game that cost $49.99 for the SNES version? The game where you either bought a $200 RAM stick for or had to edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to get enough memory for (and any other complications that arise from that)?

Yeah, I can see why modern gaming is so inferior.

It's pretty fucking good, yeah. But like any other online game it depends on the other players and whether or not the server is loaded with shitty modifications.

I'm a huge fan of QWTF too, I wish people still played it. D:

Use3D said:

Got into the PS3 version

Why'd you do that? Playing FPS games on a console is like steering a car with your feet. Also the PS3 version sucks because it hasn't received the huge amount of updates the PC version has.

wtfamireading.jpg
gtfo, tetris is the best game and if you disagree die in a grease fire

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Wellp, I'ma have to call bullshit on this. You can build a "competent" (read: plays just about every game out there at high settings at 60+fps) computer for less than $500. Oh, and guess what? That $500 investment is also incredibly useful for other tasks, so it's not like you're shelling out a ton of money to play one stupid game. You also make installing steam sound like the most inconvenient and gruelling task on the face of the earth, when in fact it's incredibly simple and works pretty damn well. As for other complications... well, those are few and far between if you ask me.

ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST ELITIST.

Yeah, I get it, Doom is a really awesome game. That doesn't mean you have to try and ruin everyone's fun when they go and try to play a game that's NOT Doom. Gramps.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like Team Fortress 2.

destx said:

Why'd you do that? Playing FPS games on a console is like steering a car with your feet. Also the PS3 version sucks because it hasn't received the huge amount of updates the PC version has.

Yeah it is missing the updates, but honestly, I like sitting in front of my tv and playing. I'm sure I'd do much better on the pc, but I'm not playing to be some kind of master, just to have fun. Also my computer can't run it, hehe.

TF2 is a great game.

Sadly, the source engine it's on needs a rewrite, since it's becoming very bloated.

For a multiplayer team-based game, you can't really get better in the modern-FPS realm.

Really beautiful and fun game. I like the way the classes have been balanced and even against my original reservations about the custom weapons and such they seem to have filled the gap that grenades left from the original--although the simplification that had been made when the game launched was well done and thought out.

I love the personalities given to the characters, I read somewhere the creators were talking about how preposterous a serious game about a bunch of people running around killing each other was, so they made it funny and stylish.

TF2 is one of the best games out there. I loved TFC back in the day, and I love TF2 twice as much. I don't know if it's worth spending a thousand dollars to get, but to be quite honest...I pretty much did. It was one of the main reasons I bought a new computer (which cost me less than $950, btw).

Bank said:

Really beautiful and fun game. I like the way the classes have been balanced and even against my original reservations about the custom weapons and such they seem to have filled the gap that grenades left from the original--although the simplification that had been made when the game launched was well done and thought out.

I love the personalities given to the characters, I read somewhere the creators were talking about how preposterous a serious game about a bunch of people running around killing each other was, so they made it funny and stylish.

They took different nades out?! :( How do u conc jump?!

Xenaero said:

It was actually really fun until they started with their item system where you have to grind stupid things to get alternate weapons. The problem was complicated even further when the more recent equips aren't tied to any achievements, so you basically have to be a lucky man to get the 'full experience'.

Very good point. I dislike achievement systems - I feel like I'm not getting the whole game experience unless I grind stuff like in an MMORPG. Having to jump through hoops just to be able to experience the whole game and be numerically (not skills-wise, of course) on par with everyone else seems silly for an online FPS - I'm used to online FPSes being about instant action and gratification, and everyone having equal stats when they spawn. Seems like things are changing - Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 have achievement systems of their own. Too bad.

Mr. T said:

They took different nades out?! :( How do u conc jump?!

You don't.

Could you go back to 2004 please thx

I find the concept of PAYING to DOWNLOAD a game absolutely revolting. If I'm supporting the developer, I want to feel like I actually own it. In other words, I want the BOX, I want the MANUAL, I want the CD CASE, I want everything physical associated with the game. Otherwise, it would be just the same as if I had just pirated it.

You mean Doom? Back when a Pentium 1 would easily cost you twice as much as a top-of-the-line computer today? A game that cost $49.99 for the SNES version? The game where you either bought a $200 RAM stick for or had to edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to get enough memory for (and any other complications that arise from that)?

Yeah, I can see why modern gaming is so inferior.

I was not implying that modern gaming was inferior, I was only stating that at this point in time it would be less-than-cost-effective to play TF2 when anyone with any sort of computer or advanced toaster can play DOOM for practically free, minus the minimal cost of the game itself.

DOOM demanded a lot in 1993. This is somewhat later than 1993.

gtfo, tetris is the best game and if you disagree die in a grease fire

Easy spin killed Tetris. I can't even bring myself to play a modern version of Tetris because knowing that I can SPIN THE PIECE FOREVER before it locks completely kills it for me, whether I exploit it or not.

Wellp, I'ma have to call bullshit on this. You can build a "competent" (read: plays just about every game out there at high settings at 60+fps) computer for less than $500.

I'm 15. Where the hell do I get that kind of money? No, I'm not taking a day job for the sole purpose of having TF2 at some point in the future, that's pathetic.

Also, that sounds like it takes some serious consumer-savvy and technical expertise. Both of which I have none of.

Yeah, I get it, Doom is a really awesome game. That doesn't mean you have to try and ruin everyone's fun when they go and try to play a game that's NOT Doom. Gramps.

Gramps? Again, 15 here.

And I've been meaning for the longest time to write an essay listing and connecting my reasons why I believe DOOM is the greatest game ever made.

Obviously TF2 isn't, just for the simple fact it has NO SINGLEPLAYER. That's pretty much half a game there. Also, moddability? Hah!

That doesn't mean you have to try and ruin everyone's fun when they go and try to play a game that's NOT Doom.

And when was I doing that? This is quite preemptively turning into a flamewar, it seems.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

I find the concept of PAYING to DOWNLOAD a game absolutely revolting. If I'm supporting the developer, I want to feel like I actually own it. In other words, I want the BOX, I want the MANUAL, I want the CD CASE, I want everything physical associated with the game. Otherwise, it would be just the same as if I had just pirated it.

The developer gets a much higher share of the profits if you buy on Steam compared to buying retail, have you ever thought about that?

Boxes etc... they just take up fucking space. That's why I started buying music off itunes instead of CDs... what's the point of having the physical medium if you are just going to install or rip it to MP3 then never touch it ever again?

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Obviously TF2 isn't, just for the simple fact it has NO SINGLEPLAYER. That's pretty much half a game there. Also, moddability? Hah!

Quake 3 had no (bots don't count) singleplayer and it's one of the most highly regarded FPSes ever made... you can play it for free now if you like quakelive.com

Viewtiful-Chris said:

just for the simple fact it has NO SINGLEPLAYER.

The game is about completing objectives with a team, in opposition to another team. If your internet sucks or you don't like playing with humans, play with bots. There's your single player.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Also, moddability? Hah!

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_SDK I'm sure you've seen as many retarded Team Fortress 2 videos as the rest of us. The engine is plenty moddable.

Mr. T said:

The developer gets a much higher share of the profits if you buy on Steam compared to buying retail, have you ever thought about that?

Boxes etc... they just take up fucking space. That's why I started buying music off itunes instead of CDs... what's the point of having the physical medium if you are just going to install or rip it to MP3 then never touch it ever again?

I wouldn't know, that's something that doesn't concern me. Besides, it's actually impossible for me to use a digital download service anyway, as most of the computers I use are and will always be perpetually offline.

GOG.com does look like a refreshing alternative to Steam and other services, and I think I'll check it out if I ever come into some money.

I don't care much for music, so again, I find it hard to relate there.

If I buy a game, I think it's precious enough that I actually do want the box and everything that physically composes a "retail package". A game I've spent money on should be more than just the data and filesize, because again, I might as well have just pirated it.

The game is about completing objectives with a team, in opposition to another team. If your internet sucks or you don't like playing with humans, play with bots. There's your single player.

Yes, that's a very limited amount of content. With DOOM I have every mode of singleplayer and multiplayer imaginable, with more variations in the making.

TF2 is practically half a game in comparison. And seriously, are the bots really even that decent? Would I want to spend hundreds of hours playing against BOTS in TF2?

As for the engine, SURE it's moddable. Name five decent TF2 mods that you've actually played online that aren't just maps or minor statistic tweaks.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Yes, that's a very limited amount of content. With DOOM I have every mode of singleplayer and multiplayer imaginable, with more variations in the making.

I don't understand. Do you want there to be some kind of law against releasing multiplayer-only games? There are people who just want to play online.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Would I want to spend hundreds of hours playing against BOTS in TF2?

I don't know, what in particular are you seeking in offline play? Maybe you're just not the target audience for Team Fortress 2. I mean, you wouldn't complain that Hello Kitty online was no fun. Why are you choosing Team Fortress 2 as a target of your criticism in particular?

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Name five decent TF2 mods that you've actually played online that aren't just maps or minor statistic tweaks.

I don't know, I don't have TF2. But the Source SDK offered through Valve has similar capabilities with Half Life 2, Counter Strike Source, Left 4 Dead, etc. in terms of modding. To draw an analogy: Heretic and Hexen in ZDoom can be modded to a similar degree as Doom in ZDoom, yet most modders choose to mod for Doom. That doesn't mean Heretic and Hexen in ZDoom are less moddable. There's just less interest.