Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5169586/DOOM/vcdag.wad

This is my first map. I know there's a lot of really terrible first maps, but I think this one is different. I've used a lot of (what I'd consider to be) innovative concepts, as well as a few months of scratch mapping for experience.

It's designed for zDOOM, DOOM II, MAP01. AFAIK it will not work on anything else, as I've used a lot of zDOOM (Doom in Doom format) effects.

Some textures are from the Daggerfall Texture Pack by Tarandino Cassatt.

Hope you enjoy it. Give me some feedback :D

Well, folks, it looks like this is it. The end of an era. We can all stop making WADs for Doom. This right here is clearly the pinnacle of map design. Any other attempts by anyone else will surely only fall short, awash in what could only be described as a sea of disappointment and embarassment when compared to this little gem. Go ahead and delete your editors. There's no use for them any longer.

Subatomic said:

Well, folks, it looks like this is it. The end of an era. We can all stop making WADs for Doom. This right here is clearly the pinnacle of map design. Any other attempts by anyone else will surely only fall short, awash in what could only be described as a sea of disappointment and embarassment when compared to this little gem. Go ahead and delete your editors. There's no use for them any longer.

I haven't actually played the map, but this is kind of a dick response to someone who posted their first map at least relatively modestly.

esselfortium said:

I haven't actually played the map, but this is kind of a dick response to someone who posted their first map at least relatively modestly.

Play it, then reply. You'll understand.

Edit: My comment was posted in jest, as I'm fairly certain this is a joke WAD. If it isn't, then I apologize.

esselfortium said:

He's not far off, there're some parts that need a little work, but it's definitely a cacoward competitor.

E: song is somewhat stuck in my head. Heh.

ArmouredBlood said:

E: song is somewhat stuck in my head. Heh.

I don't feel quite as embarassed now to admit I kinda liked the song too.

Subatomic said:

Play it, then reply. You'll understand.

Edit: My comment was posted in jest, as I'm fairly certain this is a joke WAD. If it isn't, then I apologize.

I certainly overlooked that. It does seem to be a jokewad more or less, although I'm not sure what the point of it was. Far from worth the download with a size of 12mb.

ADSL2+, basically around 200kb/s transfer rate provided the majority isn't using the internet at the time which is not so often. It's moreso the principle of it, the satisfaction knowing you've downloaded something that was worth the size per se. Not that I'm saying it has to be worth it in the absolute sense, like for example: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15425

This WAD is relatively bigger, the size may not be justified but I would've appreciated the cliched jokes and custom monsters and be somewhat satisfied. And yes it was my first release, but not my first map nor a serious one either. EDIT: I don't mean to sound elitist if I do seem to come across as one.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

I've used a lot of (what I'd consider to be) innovative concepts, as well as a few months of scratch mapping for experience.

I'm not sure about where your innovative concepts and experience went. But clearly not into this "level". For me it was just annoying to play (fortunately zdoom shows exit switches red + with noclip and godmode it took just 1 minute to finish) and if it's supposed to be a jokewad - try to be funny next time! This was just bad :(

Viewtiful-Chris said:

psst... what internet connection are you using? 12 MB is practically nothing nowadays.

20p is practically nothing nowadays but you don't spend it on castration without anaesthetic.

As for the WAD, it's pointlessly bloated, completely devoid of innovation and is several kinds of terrible.

TheDarkArchon said:

20p is practically nothing nowadays but you don't spend it on castration without anaesthetic.

As for the WAD, it's pointlessly bloated, completely devoid of innovation and is several kinds of terrible.

I don't want to be an ass but you should point out in what way it is bloated and why is it several kinds of terrible, you'll help the mapper (haven't played the map myself) as a constructive critic. UNLESS it's a third coming of wow.wad (superwow already happened)

alterworldruler said:

I don't want to be an ass but you should point out in what way it is bloated and why is it several kinds of terrible, you'll help the mapper (haven't played the map myself) as a constructive critic. UNLESS it's a third coming of wow.wad (superwow already happened)

It's you. You're a third coming of wow.wad

alterworldruler said:

UNLESS it's a third coming of wow.wad (superwow already happened)

It's pretty much is the third coming of wow.wad but I'll bite: There are around 700 new textures and 300 flats and the music is a MP3 file, without which the WAD would be less than 1.5MB. Doom Builder 2's error checker throws up several hundred errors, which is pretty much inexcusable for a map this length and "gameplay" is pretty much finding the exit switch while not hitting any of the others.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

psst... what internet connection are you using? 12 MB is practically nothing nowadays.

That's not the point. Standard map lumps will rarely peak over 100kb. Especially since it's your first map, it would most likely be less than 50kb. Which means that your wad is most likely 11.95MB of random content. And having that much random content, you probably should have made more maps to accompany it.

For example, the megawad 'Scythe' hardly peaks over 3MB and contains 32 maps.

I'm sorry but this wasn't very good map.
It started out nice =) and then just, ugh..

anyway screens

This looks ok
Opening the door looks odd because of the low ceiling, but stuff like that is acceptable since it's your first map =)
This doesn't really look good
same as above
Hmm.. this might be interesting
Um.. ok

and +for the tune though =p

[EDIT]
Just keep at it and you'll eventually make an awesome map =)

I don't care if it is a good or bad map. I don't reply like a... I don't know...

I haven't played it yet (Working on mine) :-) But nobody should talk like that to you like the first reply you got ☺

Oh and as some people say "It's ok cause it's only your first map" Then for me it doesn't matter if you mapped for years or it's just your first it will always be acceptable just because someone's skill isn't very good ☺

Ok I think you got enough of my opinion now :-P

The first reply by Subatomic provoked the hardest laugh I've had in a long, long time. Lighten up, folks.

I mean, I DID spend several hours getting this map to the state it's in now, but with the song I used anyone would be hard-pressed to take it seriously. "Get sexy, kids!"

Anyway, I'm now going to work on the Second Version of vcdag.wad, which will feature more enemies, more weapons, control toggles for the invisible sky crusher, and judicious use of AASHITTY to enhance the void hallway (my favorite section of the map). Also, expect a brand new song to set your toes tapping!

Thanks for all the constructive criticism, guys. It really helped.

Doom Builder 2's error checker throws up several hundred errors, which is pretty much inexcusable for a map this length

A computer program cannot judge art. Besides, most of those "errors" are invisible to the player anyway.

40oz said:

It's not art.

The expression it makes, the feeling it creates, the elegance of its design, the will of the creator,

it's a piece of shit but I'd still consider it art.

Why are 6 cyberdemons outside map boundries?

Also, sectors 41 and 43 are not closed.

To save yourself some bloat, you could have picked out the textures used instead of providing an entire texture back in which many flats and textures are not used.

Tim and Eric?

Great job!

....Seriously though. Is there any indication as to which switch is the correct one? I've been running around every little cabin for about 10 minutes now.

if the OP is not posting in jest, then all I can say is ... wtf?

I also find it ironic people criticizing the critiques of the wad when people are always so quick to over-criticize wads that really don't deserve so much criticism. How can you seriously defend any criticism of this wad? The wad is an exercise in idiocy. To the OP, make a normal map.

Hellbent said:

if the OP is not posting in jest, then all I can say is ... wtf?

I also find it ironic people criticizing the critiques of the wad when people are always so quick to over-criticize wads that really don't deserve so much criticism. How can you seriously defend any criticism of this wad? The wad is an exercise in idiocy. To the OP, make a normal map.

It's especially funny when they get all uptight about it... but haven't even played the map themselves!

Mr. Chris said:

Why are 6 cyberdemons outside map boundries?

Also, sectors 41 and 43 are not closed.

To save yourself some bloat, you could have picked out the textures used instead of providing an entire texture back in which many flats and textures are not used.

Alright relax :P When someone posts his/her work they want to know what people liked. :) Sometimes it will also be ok to tell them about map errors but I mean when all you are reading is about your map errors it isn't sooo fun to post the wad you made :-/

That was just my opinion so I doesn't hope that this thread will turn into a discussion about me :P

FanTazTiCxD, you haven't got a clue, sorry.

People report errors such as bugs, glitches, and whatever, so they can improve upon their work, otherwise how else can you go about the right direction if you don't fix the mistakes that discourage people and, more importantly, praise?

To me, all you're saying is "we make severe mistakes that we can't be arsed to improve, either play it or fuck off".

Personally i'd like criticism and bug reports for my maps, i'd like to know areas i'm lacking so i can make my work solid. You can't speak for everyone, sorry to say so.