Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

UAC Ultra released! (v1.2 final)

40oz said:

1. Are you using the most recent version of ZDoom?

Actually, I was using the latest SVN versions of GZdoom and Zdoom. Having now checked, Zdoom 2.4.1 (official) works but Zdoom SVN, GZdoom official and GZdoom do not. With the current GZdoom official version being based off of more recent SVN code, that makes sense.

40oz said:

2. Did you customize the compatflags to things other than the defaults? I wonder if 'Monsters get stuck over dropoffs' might cause a problem.

Nope, compat flags are untouched.

40oz said:

3. Was the mancubus awoken by your fight with the arachnatrons? Did you somehow defeat the arachnatrons without firing at all?

The mancubus was not awoken by my fight with the arachnotrons (I made sure to make a noise as I thought that may have been the problem). However, even if I no-clip to where the mancubus is waiting and let him see me to wake him up, he still can't teleport because the wall in front of him still blocks his way. - possibly related, the pillars in the main area beside the player start also do not lower when the arachnotrons are killed.

I know that there were some changes made relating to scrolling floors and voodoo dolls in a relatively recent Zdoom code revision so it seems likely that something broke then. I'll post my problems over at Zdoom.

[edit] and that's done http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25530 [/edit]

That's probably the case. I'm playing it in GZDoom v1.2.1.478 (it was the most convenient folder at the time) in Boom mode and it works fine.

EDIT: Just finished it - I'm still reeling from the knowledge that this was done entirely in Boom. The whole second half of the WAD was incredible, but the final 2 levels were just astounding. I don't think I've ever seen radiation suits used like that before (Doom3 doesn't count ;) ), and I've played a LOT of wads in my time. Also, props on having a final boss which wasn't just another IoS. The difficulty curve was spot-on and the new mid-boss was ace. I also had a wee laugh at the credit level - nice little nod to the PSX there ;)

BGM issues aside, this is the finest WAD I've played since Titan 2. I really hope there is a UAC Ultra II and if this doesn't get a Cacoward come the end of the year it'll be a travesty of a sham of a mockery.

Scuba Steve, you have been warned...

Thanks for doing that Enjay :)

We were considering saying no to ZDoom compatibility but I did everything in my power to make that map compatible because of my high interest in playing UAC Ultra online with Skulltag. I sincerely hope that bug gets repaired and UAC Ultra doesn't run into further problems regarding compatibility.

Also thank you scalliano for the generous response :D

Jamie and I haven't begun work on any projects yet, but we are definitely interested on working together to create more awesome Doom stuff in the future. UAC Ultra 2 is very likely to happen. Before we dive into making something new, the release of this wad left a lot of feedback and criticism in its wake; we are more concentrated on sharpening our skills before rushing to get a second project out the door. Jamie has told me he wants to work on his map design and detailing. I want to work on making even better looking textures, getting even more familiar with dehacked (without going overboard), and concentrating on making non-linear maps and innovative traps.

I played this through in one stretch a couple days ago. It's all good, but map 10 is absolutely fantastic. I appreciate the visuals and the varied arenas, but mostly the fact that map 10 makes the player feel that he's under constant pressure, while still being fairly forgiving. (I beat it on my first try, playing UV.)

I'm not quite sure what the proper etiquette is here. It's customary to just talk about games, or movies, books or TV shows or anything like that as being good or bad; it's customary to say how much you liked them, to talk about their attributes for a bit, and then to end the discussion there. But, here's a case where a game mod is quite truly a gift (I wasn't expected to pay for it, anyway) and where I actually have direct and unimpeded access to the ears (or eyes, rather) of the mod's creators, so should I say thanks?

Thanks, I guess? For the levels?

Just came here to ask about the map07 and I see that Enjay has beaten me to it - I'm using the latest GZDoom svn build and after a brief fight with arachnotrons and two mancubuses, everything stops. I spent about 15 minutes running about the small level hitting 'use' on everything, thinking I had missed a switch.
It's a real shame as I was very much enjoying the pack. I've also got to come to the defence of your excellent custom music, as I can't understand why it's got so many complaints.
Looks like I'll just have to wait on a SVN update :/

Music:

Jimmy91 - MAP06, MAP10 Intro, Text Scene
Martin O'Donnel - MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, MAP05, MAP11, Intermission (Ripped from the game "Abuse")
Nick Baker - MAP04, MAP08, MAP09, MAP11

It appears as though the music made by Martin O'Donnell stops at the end of the track for about a minute before repeating it again. I noticed this on my cousins computer, my brother's computer, and the computers at school. However, the music loops fine on my computer on Skulltag, ZDoom, and prBoom. I don't know what to say.

I think it depends on the MIDI device you're using in those ports. It doesn't loop properly with FMod, but seems to work fine with all the other supported MIDI devices.

Plus I think Martin O'Donnel did something weird with his MIDIs. The tracks aren't assigned to channels and there's a lot of random controller events placed at the beginning and end of the tracks. If there's a problem here, it's with the MIDIs themselves. :(

Ooooooh, that's helpful. I was thinking that these were kickass levels, but not much in the way of music :P

Can you tweak the MIDIs to make them FMod-compatible?

there were some prety clever traps in there, and i always somehow manege to prevail at the end of the level with 6% health that is a rare feature great job

Ok, the music doesn't loop on my computer at all.... from what I've played so far everything was tops, the gameplay is awesome, the music itself (besides the fact that it doesn't loop) was also pretty good, it fitted the atmosphere of the gameplay well.... so far.

EDIT
Okay I got the music working, should have read the posts above mine before I posted.

Finished this wad, and I'm impressed! I really loved the way you guys used those textures to create a different feel to DooM, the gameplay was fast and deadly througout, and as someone said earlier in this thread the traps were well thought out and sinisterly placed, but also survivable... which is awesome. The way the last level mixes hell with machinery is pretty cool as well.

Hope my rambling is making sense, heh. :)

UAC Ultra really felt as though it could have been an expansion in a way that it brings a different perspective to the Doom universe, yet stays faithful to the original... and speaking about expansions, the end text said something about the guy turning the ship around and going back to Mars, so I take it there might be a followup to this level set?

Worthy contender of a cacoward. Map 10 was my favorite, and the final boss was interesting, other than another bland icon of sin battle.

Great job guys!

Meh, probably just an overreaction to his Eric Harris thread. Either that or trolling. Whichever way, it was pretty stupid post in general.

Also, that's a really bizarre image Chrono. I can definitely see the influence though. That was certainly one of the more memorable closings to a wad, even if it felt a little anticlimatic. Guess they'll just have to up the ante for UAC Ultra 2 ;)

killyourself215 said:

40oz sucks and should die.

haha

He's one of the playtesters. Don't hate on him.

It's sector 43... At the start of the map, west of the pentagram, you have a green armor. The square on which that armor sits is secret.

These situations makes for a good opportunity to learn how to use a map editor, if only for the power to open any map and search for anything in it.

But this particular map even has its own doomwiki page and a part of it describes the secret's location as well.

Seeing as how this got bumped I'd just thought I'd say I need to go back to this at some point, I remember UAC Ultra like it was yesterday and it was one of the very, very few times I actually binge played a Doom II game in one sitting. Just a very nice set of levels overall.

an old wad but it checks out. recently stumbled upon this while randomly browsing the cacowards. really well put together. looks nice visually, gameplay very fun as well. not a fan of this radiation gimmick but i can respect the mechanic. also like the texture set. do want to try it out for myself when i get out of my creative black hole. 

just a quick question. anyone know why this map pack uses up so much performance? my gpu clocks to it's highest value (this usually only happens with modern games that actually use the gpu) and i'm running at like 65% gpu usage. this is extremely high compared to other wads. i'm using a gtx780.

is it due to the custom textures or something?

Old is not bad, as we all know! Every now and then I dig around in the old postings and came across UAC Ultra. The first 3 maps already fascinated me to some extent. I am curious about the other maps. 

Project Brutality 3.0 - Doom 2 - [UAC Ultra] - Map: #01 - Dig - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ] - [100% Secret]

Project Brutality 3.0 - Doom 2 - [UAC Ultra] - Map: #02 - UAC in Exile - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ] - [100% Secrets]

Project Brutality 3.0 - Doom 2 - [UAC Ultra] - Map: #03 - Sifting A. - [4K60ᶠᵖˢ] - [100% Secrets]

Edited by Custom Longplay