Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D_GARG

Losing weapons efter level finish

I wonder, if it is possible to make the player loose specifik weapons when entering a new level or efter completing a specific level

for example:

i put a secret on MAP01 were if find SSG, and when entering MAP09 I loose the SSG so I have to find it again.

this would make levels harder and sneakier.

how do I do this and what do you think about it?

Use sector special 11 to kill the player and progress to the next level at the same time.

Ralphis said:

Use sector special 11 to kill the player and progress to the next level at the same time.

if so ... then it better go insanely fast so you dont really notice

Ralphis said:

That doesn't kill the player. Only brings him down to about 10hp.

If you're mapping for ZDoom - the following ACS script should do the job.

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 ENTER
{
	if (CheckInventory("SuperShotgun"))
	{
		TakeInventory("SuperShotgun", 1);
	}
}

Teleport the player onto a stack of barrels, which kills and propels them on a W1 exit line.

Khorus said:

Teleport the player onto a stack of barrels, which kills and propels them on a W1 exit line.

entering W1 line when dead?

thats (kinda funny) mama luigi to you! (?)

GreyGhost said:

If you're mapping for ZDoom - the following ACS script should do the job.

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 ENTER
{
	if (CheckInventory("SuperShotgun"))
	{
		TakeInventory("SuperShotgun", 1);
	}
}

I'm to busy to look up shit now..
What does the digit after the inventory item mean in the command TakeInventory?

It specifies the amount of items to be taken. For weapons it's more or less redundant, of course, because you can carry only one.

Khorus said:

I dont think that works on all source ports. I remember experimenting with that in prBoom and I couldn't get it to work.

The universal way would to have the player telefrag the Icon of Sin, which ends the level roughly 3 seconds afterwards, in addition to some barrels which will kill the player too. That way the level ends and the player has to start the next one with a pistol, 50 bullets, and 100% health.

The really universal way is to put all your maps on the same map slot in different files. :P

Gez said:

The really universal way is to put all your maps on the same map slot in different files. :P

Problem is, you loose ALL weapons, not only the one you dont want the player to have the next map.

i supose i have to make it all go zdoom(doom in doom mode)

at least put up the experiment

40oz said:

I dont think that works on all source ports. I remember experimenting with that in prBoom and I couldn't get it to work.

You presumably had it in a compatibility mode that didn't allow the player to exit a map dead. If you use one of the standard complevels for Doom(2).exe or Boom behaviour, then this will work fine. And for prboom-plus, the default behaviour in this respect is the standard one (i.e. you can exit dead with the straight out-of-the-box settings). So AFAIK for all currently popular ports, this works fine unless the users has specifically altered the settings in a non-standard way.

The "can't exit dead" behaviour appears to have been a misunderstanding on Lee Killough's part. He seemed to implement this to stop zombie players exiting levels (that's what he called the option). I don't really see why he felt even this was necessary, but he also did it in a way that ruled out dead exits, something that some levels had already used as a deliberate feature.

But yeah, a dead exit doesn't do what the OP asks, as it removes all weapons (and armour). Of course, you could then have the player immediately pick up the weapons you want him to have at the start of the next map. I'd suggest this simple solution rather than making the wad strictly port-specific.

Grazza said:

But yeah, a dead exit doesn't do what the OP asks, as it removes all weapons (and armour). Of course, you could then have the player immediately pick up the weapons you want him to have at the start of the next map. I'd suggest this simple solution rather than making the wad strictly port-specific.

I was about to suggest this as well.